It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

husky mix off lead ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
trigurl96
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2017-05-10

Husky - husky mix off lead ?  Empty
PostSubject: husky mix off lead ?    Husky - husky mix off lead ?  EmptyWed May 10, 2017 11:16 am

I currently have a 5 month old husky mixed with australian shepherd. As I hike a lot i have been letting him off lead and he does his own thing, wont go to far without turning around and waiting for me. After reading lots about husky's everyone seems to say never let them off lead eventually they will book it. I was wondering if because he is a mix things may be different? any one have any information for me?
thanks
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: husky mix off lead ?    Husky - husky mix off lead ?  EmptyWed May 10, 2017 11:43 am

It's a mixed basket. Every dog is different and he is still very young. As he matures his desire to explore and not care about you calling him back could grow. It's not something to be done without any firm training and extreme caution. I had a border collie/husky mix when I was young and she was good until she hit about 1 year old and then the world was just too interesting and she had too much energy to be tamed. Then she was a bear to catch. If you train, train, train really hard for it and have backup plans it is possible, even with a full blooded husky, but it's never a guarantee.

Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: husky mix off lead ?    Husky - husky mix off lead ?  EmptyWed May 10, 2017 11:47 am

It depends entirely on the dog and in part on the way you've trained it. At 5 months old he's still puppy enough that he wants to keep checking on where momma is.

You've got a mix of two intelligent, free wheeling breeds. Husky's have to be since they're so far in front of their master that they will often see trouble before he will and they have to know how to react. The Aussie has to be allowed to roam to guard his flock and has to be prepared to meet any challengers without his master necessarily knowing what's happening.
As a breed, they're both used to working loosely together, so they want to be with or near their pack; they're both independent work dogs who really crave getting out and running.

My suggestion would be to work - really work - on recall now while he's still checking. You stand a better chance of getting him to continue to check with you if you emphasize *NOW* what you expect from him as he matures.

BTW, Husky's are pretty good about checking until they approach the year mark (their 'teen age years') after that, all bets are off. He *may* continue to check and then again, he may just go for a run ... hopefully he won't get lost (stupid dogs *will* get lost!)

Letting a Husky off lead who doesn't have good, solid recall and who doesn't know where home is can be tantamount to a death sentence.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
trigurl96
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2017-05-10

PostSubject: Re: husky mix off lead ?    Husky - husky mix off lead ?  EmptyWed May 10, 2017 5:27 pm

for a backup plan... do you mean something like an e-collar? what are other options for back up plans? i do have a long leash its just hard to use when hiking because he wraps him self in all the trees...

thank you for the information by the way.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: husky mix off lead ?    Husky - husky mix off lead ?  Empty

Back to top Go down

husky mix off lead ?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1