It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

New puppy arriving in 2 weeks and we have no idea

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Windfishin
Puppy
Puppy
Windfishin

Puppy - New puppy arriving in 2 weeks and we have no idea Empty
PostSubject: New puppy arriving in 2 weeks and we have no idea   Puppy - New puppy arriving in 2 weeks and we have no idea EmptyThu May 11, 2017 10:02 pm

Hi All,

We've always been more 'cat people' until my 14 yo son decided we had to get a husky. We said sure if you get straight A's.  Oops.
He got the grades! Shocked

But now we're all totally excited. Very Happy  We're a very active, outdoorsy family so we have the exercise thing covered. Our biggest concern is avoiding aggression with our cats which is why it had to be a puppy.  I've checked out the search function on this site and it looks like I can find a lot of good advice.  If anyone wants to point me to any "getting a husky puppy and you have cats for dummies" resources I would welcome it.

Thanks,
--Jason

Dog? Say what?
Puppy - New puppy arriving in 2 weeks and we have no idea Cats310

4 weeks
Puppy - New puppy arriving in 2 weeks and we have no idea 30110

Last edited by Windfishin on Fri May 12, 2017 1:06 pm; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : I want to add pics)
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: New puppy arriving in 2 weeks and we have no idea   Puppy - New puppy arriving in 2 weeks and we have no idea EmptyThu May 11, 2017 10:45 pm

Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: New puppy arriving in 2 weeks and we have no idea   Puppy - New puppy arriving in 2 weeks and we have no idea EmptyThu May 11, 2017 11:35 pm

Since it's your sons dog - and I presume his first dog - you're going to have your hands full.  Stick around because you're going to have plenty of questions to ask.

First things first - Huskies are like no other dog you might have ever had. Because of the way they were used they are probably one of the smartest breeds going. They also tend to have a "what's in it for me?" attitude - you'll see that as the pup grows up and starts to think for himself.

As a puppy, training is generally pretty standard, teaching them to go out for potty, not to nibble everything (cats included). Once they hit a few months old, training takes on a whole new meaning.

I'll drop with this final comment. A puppy 10 weeks or so, isn't apt to damage your cats - assuming full grown cats - and they have 20 ways each to teach him to respect them. With a puppy introduction, you're pretty safe that he won't hurt them but just the same make sure that they have someplace - like a cat tree or beyond a gate - where they can get away from the infuriating ball of fluff. I have three huskies, added two kittens after the huskies were full grown and used a gate to keep them separate - it wasn't long before the kittens were coming through the gate and after a little "what's this?" phase the dogs generally leave them alone. Oh sure every once in a while the dog will chase one of the cats - but they're then apt to head back to the water bowl together. It can be done!!

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Kmanweiss
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2016-09-01

PostSubject: Re: New puppy arriving in 2 weeks and we have no idea   Puppy - New puppy arriving in 2 weeks and we have no idea EmptyFri May 12, 2017 12:38 pm

Lots of closely supervised introductions to make sure all parties are comfortable will be needed.

I've heard stories of huskies that have lived with cats for years without problems, then all of a sudden something snaps. I doubt the huskies in these stories suddenly turned aggressive and attacked, but more of a situation where the cat did something that inadvertently triggered a natural instinct in the dog.

You'll want to make sure the cats have places to escape to. Natural safe spaces for the cats that the dog can't gain access to. Cats benefit from this type of design anyways, but even more so if your introducing something new to them, or they need a way to be safe or escape.
A series of shelves along a wall that the cat can climb, but a dog wouldn't be able to get to. A small hard shell pet carrier. Cut a hole in one of the plastic sides big enough for a cat to scrunch though, but a dog can't get into, and then stuff it under a bed, or in a closet. If there is an internal door that is always closed, putting a very small pet door that the cats can use, but a larger dog wouldn't be able to, creates a safe space.
Back to top Go down
Windfishin
Puppy
Puppy
Windfishin

PostSubject: Re: New puppy arriving in 2 weeks and we have no idea   Puppy - New puppy arriving in 2 weeks and we have no idea EmptyFri May 12, 2017 1:04 pm

Great tips you guys, thanks! Both our cats have shown an interest in dogs and a tendency stand their ground and in some cases even charge playfully so I'm hopeful.

When we got our second cat, we kept them separate for a week or so. It got to the point that they were hearing and smelling each other via the crack at the bottom of the bedroom door. By the time we let them into the same room together, the curiosity was so high they seemed to bond right away.

I'm thinking of taking the same approach with the pup.

Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: New puppy arriving in 2 weeks and we have no idea   Puppy - New puppy arriving in 2 weeks and we have no idea EmptyFri May 12, 2017 1:49 pm

Me personally, I would rather establish the cats as being at the house first sooner rather than later into getting the puppy while the pup is still getting to know the new place. He/she? is adorable, btw. I would start introducing smell the first night and then the actual cats from a distance by the next day potentially. It's easier for cats to get their bluff in on a dog that is still a little overwhelmed by the situation than it is when the puppy is getting braver and has established the house as its.

Puppy
Puppy
Windfishin

PostSubject: Re: New puppy arriving in 2 weeks and we have no idea   Puppy - New puppy arriving in 2 weeks and we have no idea EmptyFri May 12, 2017 2:21 pm

TwisterII wrote:
Me personally, I would rather establish the cats as being at the house first sooner rather than later.

I was just reading a thread that said the same. Too much curiosity could lead to fear on the cats part and aggression with the pup. It would definitely be more fun and easier to introduce them sooner!
Back to top Go down
Windfishin
Puppy
Puppy
Windfishin

PostSubject: Re: New puppy arriving in 2 weeks and we have no idea   Puppy - New puppy arriving in 2 weeks and we have no idea EmptyMon May 15, 2017 12:01 pm

Pupdate: here he is at 6 weeks. Already bigger than the cats!

I've read just about everything in the Training section. Really great info! Feeling good about my puppy arrival plan.

Puppy - New puppy arriving in 2 weeks and we have no idea 55110

Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: New puppy arriving in 2 weeks and we have no idea   Puppy - New puppy arriving in 2 weeks and we have no idea EmptyMon May 15, 2017 12:22 pm

I'm sorry - poor pun time. At six weeks, he's a husky Husky!!
Also a good looking pup ... good luck with the cats, I really don't see much of a problem. He'll be curious, but as I said they have twenty ways each to tell him to "Watch it, bub!!"

Back to top Go down
Windfishin
Puppy
Puppy
Windfishin

PostSubject: Pupdate!   Puppy - New puppy arriving in 2 weeks and we have no idea EmptyTue Jun 13, 2017 7:06 pm

Pupdate!

Wow, so Lachlan (Scottish name pronounced 'Lock-lun') or Lach for short, arrived as the sleepy little fur ball you see in the pic above.  After a week and a trip out to our beach house the growth in size and spirit is amazing! Overall I think were doing OK with training and this forum has been really helpful.  I also recommend this book, The Art of Raising Puppies from the Monks of Skeet.  We start formal training at Wonder Puppy next week. Our older male black cat Flip has taken the lead role in the "Watch it, bub!!" training.  I trimmed back his claws to reduce the risk of eye damage and Lach has learned to fear his right hook.  Cali, our younger grey Russian Blue female tends to steer clear, but we were shocked to find her following us around the neighborhood on his evening walk each night! This is doubly awesome because she had a bit of a weight issue and also seems to be eating less!

So far so good! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: New puppy arriving in 2 weeks and we have no idea   Puppy - New puppy arriving in 2 weeks and we have no idea EmptyTue Jun 13, 2017 8:27 pm

I had to laugh at the parade.  I have two cats (one black and one whitish) and when Sasha and I go walking we have a black shadow.  He won't walk with us but he doesn't ever seem to be too far away either.

The Monks of New Skeet have some really good short videos on YouTube for anyone who's interested.

Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: New puppy arriving in 2 weeks and we have no idea   Puppy - New puppy arriving in 2 weeks and we have no idea EmptyWed Jun 14, 2017 10:38 am

My uncle has Blue Russians. Like 6 of them. affraid lol.

Puppies aren't puppies for long. they grow like weeds, become awkward, then one day they come into their own and poof, you have a real dog. He's so cute!

PostSubject: Re: New puppy arriving in 2 weeks and we have no idea   Puppy - New puppy arriving in 2 weeks and we have no idea Empty

Back to top Go down

New puppy arriving in 2 weeks and we have no idea

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1