It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

New rescue pup

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rirye
Newborn
Newborn

New rescue pup Empty
PostSubject: New rescue pup   New rescue pup EmptyTue May 16, 2017 9:34 am

Hey guys. So I just rescued a 4-5 month old husky Shepard mix, but from what I've read online he acts very much like a husky. There are days where I can't believe how well trained he is, and then the next day it's like we are starting all over. for example yesterday he went to the door to let me know he had to go to the bathroom. I let him out he did his thing and came back in. My boyfriend takes him outside at about 4-5 am every morning and then he goes back to sleep until I wake up to take him out and feed him. This morning he woke up earlier than usual and I was still in bed so kind of let him cry for about 10 minutes until I got up. When I went downstairs with him to feed him he was being so bad and going after everything he knows he's not allowed. After I fed him I was about to take him out when he saw that the basement door is open (we don't let him down there because for some reason that is the only place he's had accidents). He ran down and I ran after him, and spent a few minutes chasing him while he ran under the pool table and all around the basement. He knew he wasn't allowed down there it was like a game to him. Then I was at the other side of the pool table and he started peeing on the floor!!! I ran to him and he ran back upstairs. I feel like he did it because I let him cry for a little bit while I was getting myself up. how do you get them out of that?
Back to top Go down
Rirye
Newborn
Newborn

New rescue pup Empty
PostSubject: Re: New rescue pup   New rescue pup EmptyTue May 16, 2017 9:37 am

And I know they need a lot of exercise, which he gets plenty of. I'm always running with him and he has a huge yard that we play in every day. He also does stuff like that when I'm cleaning or not paying attention to him even for the shortest amount of time. He's only home alone for 3 hours a day tops while I'm running errands. So it's not like he's not getting plenty of attention/ exercise
Back to top Go down
Kmanweiss
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2016-09-01

New rescue pup Empty
PostSubject: Re: New rescue pup   New rescue pup EmptyTue May 16, 2017 10:49 am

Dogs are a lot like young children.
They know what they want, they care only about their own interests, and they learn how to manipulate people to get what they want.

If doing something he knows is wrong gets him attention, guess what, he'll keep doing it.
Everything is a game to him, and he's going to test his limits. You just need to be firm and only give him attention for good behavior.
Back to top Go down
Rirye
Newborn
Newborn

New rescue pup Empty
PostSubject: Re: New rescue pup   New rescue pup EmptyTue May 16, 2017 12:43 pm

So what do you do when they do something they know is wrong? I give him treats whenever he goes to the bathroom outside. And bring him right outside when he has accidents inside. I know you reward for good behavior but what do you do for bad behavior? He knows the word "no" but blatantly ignores it sometimes
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

New rescue pup Empty
PostSubject: Re: New rescue pup   New rescue pup EmptyTue May 16, 2017 1:58 pm

Some of us put them in a time out. This is where they learn to sit in the corner and stay. Or you can close him in a small bathroom where he has nothing to hurt or play with that is really boring to him. No toys, no treats, not good attention. Just sit here and you stay until I let you go. To start enforcing this you will need to tether your dog so he can't just run around wherever he wants. When he comes out of the crate the leash goes on and if he's being back he gets a leash correction then put in the corner. Every time he tries to leave you give correction 'no' and a tug and make him sit again. He will hate it. There will be protest. The more he hates it in time it should become for effective.

Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

New rescue pup Empty
PostSubject: Re: New rescue pup   New rescue pup EmptyTue May 16, 2017 4:45 pm

Tethering to you, crate time and separate time outs are what you need. If the pup is tethered to you you can make corrections like Jenn suggested. If the pup can not be tethered to you because you are gone or busy the pup needs to be in the crate. If you need to make a correction beyond the quick flick of the wrist with the leash then time out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New rescue pup Empty
PostSubject: Re: New rescue pup   New rescue pup Empty

Back to top Go down

New rescue pup

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1