It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

MY PUPPY IS EATING SOCKS!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Michaela Isak
Newborn
Newborn
Michaela Isak

MY PUPPY IS EATING SOCKS! Empty
PostSubject: MY PUPPY IS EATING SOCKS!   MY PUPPY IS EATING SOCKS! EmptyMon Jun 05, 2017 1:09 pm

ok so the past couple of weeks my almost 5 month old husky pup has decided to eat and throw up socks. I don't know that he eats them until he is puking them up on the ground. I am glad he is throwing them up rather than them getting stuck and having to go get emergency surgery. I am very anal about picking up things that he could choke on or being potentially harmful for him, but have no idea where he gets these socks as me and my fiancé are not missing any! He has only thrown up 3 socks since he started this fetish. Last night he was running around being chased by an older pup we have and felt the need to swallow the little piece of fabric from a toy to guard it. So far he has not yet thrown that back up. Does anyone have this issue with their huskies?
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: MY PUPPY IS EATING SOCKS!   MY PUPPY IS EATING SOCKS! EmptyMon Jun 05, 2017 1:27 pm

Puppies are garbage disposals and teaching leave it or drop it early on is often a necessity for many husky owners. A thorough look through of the house might be a necessity as well. Make sure there aren't old socks that have been trapped under a bed or dresser from so long ago you can't remember or from a friend who may have stayed over and lost things the pup is finding now. Does someone puppy sit during the day when you are gone who could be leaving stuff around? Some small things puppies can digest so I would just monitor for puking that doesn't produce anything as well as lethargy and/or constipation. Chances are the little piece of toy will digest and pass through his system. Most of all supervise at all times that they aren't in the crate and don't let them wander the house out of sight. Some have been known to figure out how to open drawers and steal things. Too smart for their own good.

Newborn
Newborn
Michaela Isak

PostSubject: Re: MY PUPPY IS EATING SOCKS!   MY PUPPY IS EATING SOCKS! EmptyMon Jun 05, 2017 1:32 pm

TwisterII wrote:
Puppies are garbage disposals and teaching leave it or drop it early on is often a necessity for many husky owners. A thorough look through of the house might be a necessity as well. Make sure there aren't old socks that have been trapped under a bed or dresser from so long ago you can't remember or from a friend who may have stayed over and lost things the pup is finding now. Does someone puppy sit during the day when you are gone who could be leaving stuff around? Some small things puppies can digest so I would just monitor for puking that doesn't produce anything as well as lethargy and/or constipation. Chances are the little piece of toy will digest and pass through his system. Most of all supervise at all times that they aren't in the crate and don't let them wander the house out of sight. Some have been known to figure out how to open drawers and steal things. Too smart for their own good.

He does know drop it and leave it, he is very sneaky about this I am assuming. he is crated when we are at work and is always around me or my fiancé when we are home or playing with an older pup at our house. when he is in his crate he gets his hard chew toys like his kong and teethers, things that he cannot swallow. I am not sure where he could be getting the socks but I have been looking everywhere in little spots since he started to make sure he is not hoarding them somewhere
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: MY PUPPY IS EATING SOCKS!   MY PUPPY IS EATING SOCKS! EmptyMon Jun 05, 2017 1:42 pm

Yep, as the saying goes - Been there, done that! As Jenn says, the pups getting them from somewhere and it's, obviously, up to you to figure out where before he gets into real trouble (emergency surgery isn't fun and is expensive!)

To maybe help you along, as Jenn suggests, an unsupervised puppy is an accident waiting to happen - and given time, it will happen. I have two who have 'indulged' my Alaskan has literally chewed the crotch out of two pairs of jeans - obviously the sweat from the days 'labor' was too enticing - and thank the gods he's gotten over that. Sasha, my enjoyable problem child, will chew handkerchiefs and various 'unmentionables' if she has access to them. Since I also have cats who might need a safe space, I have a gate between my kitchen and the 'back rooms' and the laundry basket is in the back room.

While my pups have the run of the main part of the house (house trailer - shotgun style) they don't have access to those area where they can get into things they shouldn't.

The downside to this is that while you have a puppy - and chewing anything is a common problem with puppies - mine are full grown (5+ years old), so I'm going to suggest that you might really want to keep the little one on a house leash until you can determine where he's getting them from and, sorry, clean up your act because he's seriously finding what you (or someone) has left behind. (said with a smile - though it may sound 'smart', I'm also a bit of a wiseacre)

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Husky911
Puppy
Puppy
Husky911

Male Join date : 2017-03-30

PostSubject: Re: MY PUPPY IS EATING SOCKS!   MY PUPPY IS EATING SOCKS! EmptyTue Jun 06, 2017 12:19 am

Hey Michaela Isak

I wouldn't say Echo has issues with socks, but he definitely LOVES INHALING sticks. We'll be at the park sometimes and it's an hour of his nose on the ground and swallowing sticks non-stop & anything else that seems somewhat edible including pebbles & poop...The next morning it will be *glug* *glug* *glug* **BARF*** and a huge fist size pile will come back up... Mad Mad Mad

Short of putting a muzzle on him I've tried it all...leave it, treats, time outs...I've had to switch dog parks multiple times just to find one that is easier to digest through his stomach. I've settled on one that is pure grass and he literally is a cow and grazes on the grass...but the grass seems much better at flowing through his intestines than sticks...so there's been considerably less vomiting these days... Rolling Eyes

It's remarkable how durable husky stomachs are...Echo ate two pounds of pebbles once and pooped them all out...that was a very expensive vet bill...but non-surgical so I was lucky...

Just keep an eye out on his behavior, and poops, and if all seems well I wouldn't be too concerned. Stop where you can but it's come to a point where I give up on chastising him in the park, because it's becoming not very enjoyable for me taking him out when I'm constantly following him around and telling him to leave it...drop it...and moving his muzzle away from whatever he's trying to sniff... Evil or Very Mad

Echo is 7 months now...I will say it's gotten slightly better, and he listens a bit better when I scream at him from time to time to leave it/drop it...i'm hoping once he grows up a bit more and becomes less food driven I'll finally have some relief...

Trust me you're not alone! Good Luck!
Back to top Go down
Kmanweiss
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2016-09-01

PostSubject: Re: MY PUPPY IS EATING SOCKS!   MY PUPPY IS EATING SOCKS! EmptyTue Jun 06, 2017 10:53 am

Echo and Rorschach must be cousins.
Rorschach eats anything not bolted to the ground, and even then he'll give it a try.
Pine cones, spiders that bite him, rocks, sticks, nuts and washers (as in hardware), bottle caps, dead animals, fencing. Boards in his kennel area look like a beaver has been living there. I have yet to break out the grass trimmer this year because he takes care of the edges for me.
He gets plenty of exercise, and we honestly overfeed the guy, but nothing stops the constant eating of literally anything he can get in his mouth.
One day he was outside playing with a tether tug, I stepped inside to use the bathroom, and when I return, he's uprooted the tether tug and is was eating chunks of it.
Back to top Go down
Husky911
Puppy
Puppy
Husky911

Male Join date : 2017-03-30

PostSubject: Re: MY PUPPY IS EATING SOCKS!   MY PUPPY IS EATING SOCKS! EmptySat Jun 10, 2017 3:00 am

hahahaha Hey Kmanweiss!

Echo and Rorschach should meet one day. Though I think they'll be too busy sniffing out the next thing to swallow to even realize there's a husky friend around lol!

I will say, while Echo does like eating everything, he has never chewed anything in my house other than his toys (which included ingesting a whole squeaker - thankfully that came back up in his vomit 2 days later =P).

Thankfully I live in a condo so I don't have a yard where I can set him free and leave him on his own. I'd definitely be hesitant to set him free in the yard...cause he'd probably rake up all the sticks for me and swallow them all. He had diarrhea for the first time the other day and after fasting him for 24 hours, and restricting him to leash-only walks on the sidewalk, he was still pooping out sticks 48 hours later Rolling Eyes

OOohhhh Ecccchhooo!!!
Back to top Go down
mattyq25
Newborn
Newborn
mattyq25

Male Join date : 2017-06-09

PostSubject: Re: MY PUPPY IS EATING SOCKS!   MY PUPPY IS EATING SOCKS! EmptySat Jun 10, 2017 3:45 pm

Paper towels and socks.. sherlock goes nuts for them. 3 weeks ago he snuck into our bedroom (off-limits to him most of the time) and he grabbed a sock before we chased him out. Now that i look back, chasing him was a terrible idea, because this threw him into resource guarding mode and he literally swallowed an entire sock hole. Needless to say, he now knows "drop-it" and "leave-it" now. It was an awful week waiting for something to happen, when finally 5 days later right before he was about to eat he threw half of it up.. the other half made its way out the other end the next day. Rolling Eyes For the most part in the house and without other dogs around he will now listen and drop something if he hears me say it.. but I'm always hesitant to bring him to a dog park because he ignores everything i say and will eat anything small enough to keep the other dogs from getting it.. its been a work in progress so i understand your frustration!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MY PUPPY IS EATING SOCKS!   MY PUPPY IS EATING SOCKS! Empty

Back to top Go down

MY PUPPY IS EATING SOCKS!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1