It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Bald spot on elbow?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Loki14
Newborn
Newborn

Bald spot on elbow? Empty
PostSubject: Bald spot on elbow?   Bald spot on elbow? EmptyFri Jun 16, 2017 4:07 pm

A few weeks ago we noticed a bald circle on Lokis elbow with a small scab in the middle of it, the scab was in its end stages so he must have had it for a little bit, but we aren't sure what happened. We just left it alone and now the scab is gone but the spot is still there. It may have gotten slightly bigger. We do plan on taking him to the vet, just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas. He has had fleas pretty bad we are trying to get rid of, but they've been better. We've been using Pet Armor plus. A week after his first application we did find a couple ticks on him but haven't seen any since.

I have only seen him mess with it once or twice, and it is hot and kind of hard to the touch.

Any ideas while we wait to get him into the vet? He did have one day where he had a bit of bright red blood in his stool, but that was only once incident and he was perfectly fine after it. He was acting fine the whole time too.

Bald spot on elbow? Img_2610
Back to top Go down
Loki14
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Bald spot on elbow?   Bald spot on elbow? EmptyFri Jun 16, 2017 4:08 pm

There's no white puss or anything on it, theflash kind of makes it look that way.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Bald spot on elbow?   Bald spot on elbow? EmptyFri Jun 16, 2017 5:05 pm

My two initial thoughts were a "hot spot" but you suggest that it's dry and hot spots typically "weep". My other thought was simply a "skid mark" (tripping and skidding on a rug, for example) but that should have healed in a day or two or three.
Yep, time to let the vet have a look at it ....

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Loki14
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Bald spot on elbow?   Bald spot on elbow? EmptyMon Jun 19, 2017 9:40 am

Well the spot is now much bigger and leaking yellow stuff so we will try and get him in tonight.

Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Bald spot on elbow?   Bald spot on elbow? EmptyMon Jun 19, 2017 11:19 am

I'm intrigued ... something different to look at / talk about (not meaning to make any less of the problem but at least it's not "my dog won't stop barking / biting / chewing")

On the one hand I'm still considering a hot spot, but my dogs hot spots have all been either on the back just above the tail or around the shoulder blades. On the other hand, this fits the definition of a pressure sore but, again in my experience, these develop as calluses not open wounds.

A question first - where does he sleep, on a dog bed, carpet, tile, concrete? Dogs who sleep on tile / concrete are most often to develop a callus where their elbow or other joint hit the floor as they lie down or get up.

Then a suggestion - if you can't get him into the vet today, I'd consider using a "three way antibiotic" and covering it with a pad / gauze. A wrap (not to tight, of course) might help if he decides to chew on it - then again, it might just give him more to chew. A typical three way antibiotic is intended for surface use so check and make sure there's no problem if he decides to lick it off.

Please follow up with what you learn from the vet.

Back to top Go down
Loki14
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Bald spot on elbow?   Bald spot on elbow? EmptyMon Jun 19, 2017 11:32 am

No worries, I'm not overly concerned about it because he seems to be acting fine and I hate to jump the gun and go to the worst case. But it's definitely time to see a vet, it won't be until Thursday evening we can get him in so I will look into the antibiotic.

He sleeps all over the place.. at night he will sleep in bed with us, during the day his crate is open but he sleeps in it sometimes, as well as on the couch and the tile in the kitchen. Everywhere else is carpet snd he will lay on that too. We have been struggling to get rid of fleas and we took him hiking twice and found ticks all over him each time, so we are done with that for sure. Pet armor plus is not doing the job. My girlfriend thought maybe a tick that he bit off may still be in there partially, but I doubt it. He did get a Lyme disease vaccine last April but we completely forgot to go back for the second round after a couple weeks, so that is a worry of mine currently.

He does tend to flop around and slide off the couch in weird ways to get down so it could be some type of carpet burn or something, he is a character so there's a number of ways he could be aggravating it. Lol

Anyways, I will check into an antibiotic ointment for the time being and I'll definitely keep this updated.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Bald spot on elbow?   Bald spot on elbow? EmptyMon Jun 19, 2017 11:53 am

From your last comment, I might strongly agree with the girlfriend (well, in part). Besides Lyme disease, ticks also carry a lot of other 'bugs', it's quite possible that this was a tick who dropped off but not before he left a, probably bacterial, infection behind. Polysporin (or similar) should help with that until you can get him to the vet.

@amymeme - comments??

Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Bald spot on elbow?   Bald spot on elbow? EmptyMon Jun 19, 2017 12:46 pm

Since you have had flea issues then it is most likely a hotspot and putting neosporen or coconut oil on it and keeping your dog from licking it will get it to go away in time, though as Al said there are other things that could cause this. One that come to my mind is ringworm and you will want your vet's help if that is the case as the yellow ooz will only get worse and it will spread. It will also spread to other animals.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Bald spot on elbow?   Bald spot on elbow? EmptyMon Jun 19, 2017 3:54 pm

AL - I'm stumped. That redness really looks inflamed to me. Less inclined to think fleas because fleas tend to be a hind end problem, but is certainly something to think about and I definitely would not exclude it.

Ring worm will also spread to people!

It almost looks to me, but very faint so may be imagination, like there is a bug bite possibly? Spider bite...bee sting come to mind.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Bald spot on elbow?   Bald spot on elbow? EmptyMon Jun 19, 2017 4:00 pm

As for fleas and ticks - at least up here in the northeast, I've found a permethrin based topical (of the topicals, I don't use systemics...just 'cause and no collars 'cause my boy is wooly and the collars don't make skin contact which mfg tells me is necessary.) But permethrin is crap for fleas. Fipronil will give 3 month protection for adult fleas. And an Insect Growth Regulator is necessary for eggs/larvae. So - I use vetguard plus once every 4 months (pyriproxyphen is IGR that lasts 4 months, permethrin lasts 6 weeks for ticks) than Freedom 45 6 weeks later and every 6 weeks except when time for next Vetguard Plus dose) and Sargaent's Fiproguard (fipronil for adult fleas) every 3 months. I start for ticks IN OUR AREA, in late Feb early March depending on snow cover and temperature, start for fleas late May, early June. Your needs, based on weather/temps will be different. For us, all treatments, including heartworm end in December.
Back to top Go down
Loki14
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Bald spot on elbow?   Bald spot on elbow? EmptyFri Jul 07, 2017 6:53 pm

Sorry it took so long for me to update this, the vet gave him two weeks of antibiotics. She checked a small sample and didn't see any issues with it, she said if it didn't clear up he may need an antifungal. He ran out of antibiotics but it is looking better still, not completely clear but he did somehow cut/bust open the spot about a week into them so that delayed the healing lol

As far as fleas and ticks, we got a Seresto collar to try out since my parents had good luck with their dogs with it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bald spot on elbow?   Bald spot on elbow? Empty

Back to top Go down

Bald spot on elbow?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1