It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

E-collar with crate training?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Heather88
Newborn
Newborn
Heather88

Female Join date : 2016-09-13

E-collar with crate training? Empty
PostSubject: E-collar with crate training?   E-collar with crate training? EmptyMon Jul 10, 2017 10:56 am

So my husky Kiba is just she of a year old now and has been pretty well crate trained since we got her at 8 weeks old. However we have periods of regression where it doesn't seem to matter how late her last potty break is before bed she wants to get up before 6 am. Our normal routine is my alarm goes off at 645 and I go to the bathroom and get a little ready for the day before going downstairs to let her out for the morning and then she gets fed usually 715 or so. Neither my husband or I have ever given in to letting her out when she is howling and carrying on in her kennel but we usually have to either wait hours for her to settle again or make some sort of distracting noise to get quiet (especially if I have to let her out so I can feed her and such before leaving for work). She does perfect with no cry in in her kennel when in there during the day.
Now my husband and I just had a baby girl a couple weeks ago and so Kiba hears us up for late night/early morning feedings and has started her howling/crying routine even earlier.
My husband wants to try an e-collar so that when's we hear her carrying on downstairs in her crate we can give her a vibrate or something as a reminder to be quiet but I'm torn on if that would be a good idea or just make her afraid of the crate. He also wants to use it for when we can see her doing something naughty in the yard (like ripping the cedar shingles off the side of our house) and aren't close enough to give a correction at the right timing ourselves.
She does get almost daily playtime with our next door neighbors lab that is 2 weeks younger than her, a daily walk, and trips to the dog park when the neighbor I see out of town. I also play with her in th backyard quite a bit during the day and she doesn't act up when in the house with us during the day.
Any other suggestions on if an e-collar would work like my husband wants to do or what else we could try? The crying overnight and really early in the morning needs to stop.
(And realizing that this post got pretty long but wanted to try and answer any questions people may have)
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: E-collar with crate training?   E-collar with crate training? EmptyMon Jul 10, 2017 11:44 am

All ecollars should be used with training, both for you and the dog, before using them for corrections. Don't just strap one on without doing a lot of introduction to it with your dog before going right into buzzing her with it for doing things you don't want her to. Some dogs do not respond well to them even on vibrate mode and can become very fearful of everything because of them. Know your dog's personality. If she is a soft heart then she may not respond well to an ecollar. The issue, one of them anyway, with using an ecollar in the crate, aside from you already mentioning making her scared of the crate, is that you can't properly time the correction if you can't see her. She is going to get to bark or howl for at least a little bit before you wake up and find the remote, so there's going to be a period of time where she can howl without a correction and then when it does come it isn't going to necessarily read to her why it is coming. In this you would probably do better with a bark collar since it will time the vibration or nip right for you. A good bark collar has multiple settings just like a normal ecollar. The shed could work better as long as you correct before she gets to the shed to do it, watch for signs that she is going to and then get her, but you have to get her every time, or like with the crate she may not read why the correction is coming. Kiba is at that age where she is likely to regress in a lot of things. She's hitting her teen years where they do stuff just to bug you and seem to turn into brats. It will pass but you have to tough love them, stick to your guns about training and the house rules. I understand you have a baby and she has to be quiet, but as your routine has changed with the baby undoubtedly hers will have to change with the baby as well.

Newborn
Newborn
Heather88

Female Join date : 2016-09-13

PostSubject: Re: E-collar with crate training?   E-collar with crate training? EmptyMon Jul 10, 2017 12:14 pm

Do you think a bark collar would still work on the range of husky noises since she does not actually bark? That was always the one question I had with them.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: E-collar with crate training?   E-collar with crate training? EmptyMon Jul 10, 2017 12:52 pm

Depends on the bark collar. I have an older guardian brand collar for my gsd mix who "grumbles" and it will let him be very low but real barking or the louder woo it will get him. After a time though he learns if the collar is on he doesn't say a word. I take it with me on trips so if he gets excited at the campground or motel he won't woo at people at 3am. With any collar that has a block on it don't leave her unsupervised in the crate at first with it. See how she responds to having the block on the side of her neck and watch to make sure she isn't going to hook it between the bars. This goes for bark or traditional ecollars.

Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: E-collar with crate training?   E-collar with crate training? EmptyMon Jul 10, 2017 2:14 pm

I've never used a bark collar, tho it has been recommended to me for my husky way back to curb her wooing. I have used the e-collar, and like Jenn said you must train with it before it can be effective. A couple of things tho, beyond what Jenn mentioned. One an e-collar must never stay on a dog for long periods of time. Should not be on a dog in a crate or sleeping, unless it is a short nap. The prongs can damage the dog's neck. If your husky is a wiggler or tries to escape the crate the collar can get stuck and can lead to strangulation or again damage to the neck. You have to have a straight line of site, it will not work thru walls, doors, floors, etc. Generally speaking e-collars are to be used to proof commands not for punishment or for corrections for something they do not understand. Example is an e-collar works to solidify the recall, since huskies may take a few times to come to you when you use your chosen recall command, using the e-collar proofs that command so they will comply on the first try. Using the e-collar to make your dog quiet in the crate is not proofing a command, nor will it work between floors. It also is not to be used for eating the siding of your house again it isn't used for punishment. One thing I do know for sure about huskies is that they want to be with their people, her fussing is more than likely because she can't be with you, and a good majority of us owners crate our dogs close by, and eventually somewhere around 2 years of age will allow the husky to roam within the house with only an option for the crate. It may be beneficial for you to go to a trainer to solidify some commands, and work on calming techniques.
Back to top Go down
Stihl1816
Newborn
Newborn
Stihl1816

Female Join date : 2016-11-03

PostSubject: Re: E-collar with crate training?   E-collar with crate training? EmptyTue Jul 11, 2017 5:13 pm

Check out Jeff Gellman of Solid K9 Training. He addresses exactly what you're talking about in a few of his YouTube videos. I personally haven't tried it, but it seems he has a lot of success with using stim to calm a dog in the crate. He does a lot of live videos on facebook/instagram and seems pretty responsive to questions. I also believe Sean O'Shea of The Good Dog Training uses similar methods. Hope that helped!
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: E-collar with crate training?   E-collar with crate training? EmptyTue Jul 11, 2017 9:16 pm

I use both a bark collar and an ecollar. Unlike Renee, I find my collar will work in the house from one room to another or upstairs, downstairs. However - I tried using the ecollar with Z'ev in the crate for "muli-puking" and plain does not work. Don't know if its timing or what but will not work with him for that application. Otherwise ecollar is great with Z'ev, sit, stay, wait, come - all are enhanced with ecollar. A bark collar, simple basic one from Petsafe for 29.95 works great with him. But, I only leave collars on him if I am awake and present in the house or outside doing yard work and want to leave his sight for 5 minutes.

Archer on the other hand, needs a very very very low level on ecollar, responds marvelously to bark collar which is left on him only if we need to tether him (for instance, we're leaving the property for a few hours.) I know from experience that Archer is going to sleep until we get back and don't have to worry about him catching his collar. But then again, he is not crated here.

I do remember, in the very beginning with Z'ev in the house crate, that out of desperation, I put the ecollar on him, sat around the corner at the computer with a bowl of mac and cheese, when Z'ev made noise, I gave him a vibrate, when he stopped for a fraction of a second, I ran in and gave him a piece of mac and cheese. I sat there at the computer for a couple of hours while the quiet times got longer and longer. Every time he was quiet, an elbow of mac and cheese. I used the ecollar to distract him to get those early seconds of quiet so I could reward it. However, the ecollar did nothing to make him stop yowling when I put him on tether outside (ultimately, I would rather leave him tethered outside on a trolley in the fenced backyard when we leave the property but so far that is a pipe dream - the most he's quiet if I'm more than 20' away is about 5 minutes.)

Happy new baby!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: E-collar with crate training?   E-collar with crate training? Empty

Back to top Go down

E-collar with crate training?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1