It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Coconut Oil VS Fish Oil?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Thunderbird
Newborn
Newborn
Thunderbird

Coconut Oil VS Fish Oil? Empty
PostSubject: Coconut Oil VS Fish Oil?   Coconut Oil VS Fish Oil? EmptyTue Jul 18, 2017 9:28 am

Does anyone give their dogs coconut oil or fish oil?

I've heard both are good for a huskies coat. Just wondering what everyone else feeds their dogs, and how much?
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Coconut Oil VS Fish Oil?   Coconut Oil VS Fish Oil? EmptyTue Jul 18, 2017 10:55 am

I feed both to an extent. Both are good for skin and coats. If your dog has allergies coconut oil is great. It's a clean fat that helps with digestion and is easy to absorb. Teaspoon to tablespoon a day depending on dog's weight is generally enough. It has antibacterial properties and can be rubbed into hotspots, wounds, or dry skin.

Fish oil is good for dogs with arthritis and other joint issues. It is good for inflammation. Omega 3s help with cognitive functions as well, help encourage a healthy heart. I have a dog that has potential heartworms and have been giving him fish oil for heart health. Same dog has hip dysplasia and it helps with that as well. One capsule a day. Fish oil will deplete vitamin E so every other day give a vitamin E capsule if you are feeding fishoil.

Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Coconut Oil VS Fish Oil?   Coconut Oil VS Fish Oil? EmptyTue Jul 18, 2017 2:01 pm

Totally agree with Jenn. Also if you are a raw feeder it is recommended to include fish oil daily. Most raw feeders use Bonnie and Clyde because it provides both fish oil and Vitamin E together. I don't use fish oil, however, I do use coconut oil, I use it whenever there is a slight skin issue, or on cuts or on a dry nose. I use it more sparingly than most people, typically for my 2 girls at 70 pound I use 1/2 tablespoon until issue clears. There are some studies out that too much coconut oil and other oils can lead to issues like pancreatitis.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Coconut Oil VS Fish Oil?   Coconut Oil VS Fish Oil? EmptyFri Jul 21, 2017 4:17 pm

When my boy was younger I used coconut oil for his skin and coat health. Now that he is older and has arthritis I use fish oil to help with his joints. Nothing wrong with using either but if you have something specific that you are trying to use it for that may help determine which is better for your specific purpose.

Newborn
Newborn
Thunderbird

PostSubject: Re: Coconut Oil VS Fish Oil?   Coconut Oil VS Fish Oil? EmptyFri Jul 21, 2017 4:41 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
When my boy was younger I used coconut oil for his skin and coat health. Now that he is older and has arthritis I use fish oil to help with his joints. Nothing wrong with using either but if you have something specific that you are trying to use it for that may help determine which is better for your specific purpose.

Mostly for his coat, I guess.

I've started giving him some 1/2 - 1 tsp of coconut oil every other day or so in his kong. He loves the stuff.
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Coconut Oil VS Fish Oil?   Coconut Oil VS Fish Oil? EmptyMon Jul 24, 2017 11:38 am

I use both. I have heard that the coconut oil is higher in fat even though it is good fat. I have used both with the kongs. I add mine as a supplement for the coats, allergies, and joints.

Husky911
Puppy
Puppy
Husky911

Male Join date : 2017-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Coconut Oil VS Fish Oil?   Coconut Oil VS Fish Oil? EmptyWed Jul 26, 2017 1:34 am

Hey Thunderbird!

I recently switched Echo over to Raw, and the company I went with requires that I supplement his meal with fish oil. I use Herring Oil and the recommended dose is 5ml for every 25lbs of body weight per day.

Depending which rotational blend of raw food I feed, I also supplement with a tri-mineral powder that consists of Kelp, Alfalfa and Spirulina. The recommended dosage for that is 1tsp for every 25lbs of body weight per day.

Good luck with your choice!

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Coconut Oil VS Fish Oil?   Coconut Oil VS Fish Oil? Empty

Back to top Go down

Coconut Oil VS Fish Oil?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1