It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

growling - can i teach dog to leave the situation instead of reacting?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Thunderbird
Newborn
Newborn
Thunderbird

growling - can i teach dog to leave the situation instead of reacting? Empty
PostSubject: growling - can i teach dog to leave the situation instead of reacting?   growling - can i teach dog to leave the situation instead of reacting? EmptyFri Aug 11, 2017 10:27 pm

I'd like to teach my dog some alternatives to growling / snapping at people. Ideally, I'd like for him to just get up and walk away instead of growling or snapping at someone. Obviously, if he's cornered, or the person follows him - that's a different story.

He likes to be petted only on his terms. If he's stressed out by other triggers, and someone tries to pet him, he may growl or air-snap.

I've become pretty good at monitoring his signals, and giving pretty clear directions to any house guests on how to interact appropriately, and I don't let strangers touch him, so the rate of these occurrences has gone down significantly since we've got him. There is still the odd occurrence though.

Tonight, he was sitting up next to my husband who was petting him, and he started growling. I'd prefer if he would just get up and walk away when he's uncomfortable. Can I teach him to do this?
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: growling - can i teach dog to leave the situation instead of reacting?   growling - can i teach dog to leave the situation instead of reacting? EmptySat Aug 12, 2017 11:36 am

I'm not real sure but you might be able to modify the place command. When he growls or acts out or looks ready to tell him to lay down and stay in a designated spot. Like a time out to calm down. Hopefully he will get the hint that if he wants attention he is going to have to chill out or if he is going to act that way then he has the option to leave, that you don't want him by you in that state of mind. Make it his spot. No one messes with him when he's there.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: growling - can i teach dog to leave the situation instead of reacting?   growling - can i teach dog to leave the situation instead of reacting? EmptySat Aug 12, 2017 2:26 pm

https://thegooddog.net/training-videos/free-how-to-training-videos/learn-to-train-the-good-dog-way-the-out-command/

30:12
Learn To Train The Good Dog Way: The "Out" Command
YouTube - Dec 22, 2015
Back to top Go down
Thunderbird
Newborn
Newborn
Thunderbird

PostSubject: Re: growling - can i teach dog to leave the situation instead of reacting?   growling - can i teach dog to leave the situation instead of reacting? EmptySun Aug 13, 2017 5:01 pm

Thanks for the input.

Twister - I like that idea. I can gauge pretty well when he's getting a bit moody, so i should be able to spot when he's getting towards his limit and intervene then. Of course, I need to teach him to "go mat" first. He has so many different things to learn & issues to work on, I just had to pick a few things i found most important and deal with those before moving onto anything else. Will move "go mat" up on my priority list.

Thanks for sharing the video, Amy. Not sure it's quite what I need for this, but still an interesting watch.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: growling - can i teach dog to leave the situation instead of reacting?   growling - can i teach dog to leave the situation instead of reacting? EmptySun Aug 13, 2017 6:44 pm

Essentially, you are teaching the same thing except your using the term go mat while he's using b out. Also search his videos for the place command.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: growling - can i teach dog to leave the situation instead of reacting?   growling - can i teach dog to leave the situation instead of reacting? Empty

Back to top Go down

growling - can i teach dog to leave the situation instead of reacting?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1