It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

When did your pup start howling? 17 wo husky hasn't howled yet!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Caylene
Newborn
Newborn
Caylene

Female Join date : 2017-06-26

husky - When did your pup start howling? 17 wo husky hasn't howled yet! Empty
PostSubject: When did your pup start howling? 17 wo husky hasn't howled yet!   husky - When did your pup start howling? 17 wo husky hasn't howled yet! EmptyMon Aug 21, 2017 6:47 pm

My pup Xayah doesn't howl at all, she just barks like any other pup. Does anyone else have a howl-less pup or care to share when theres eventually did?
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: When did your pup start howling? 17 wo husky hasn't howled yet!   husky - When did your pup start howling? 17 wo husky hasn't howled yet! EmptyMon Aug 21, 2017 8:00 pm

Mine are very quiet. One has never howled, the other only howls if I play the song radioactive by imagine dragons.

Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: When did your pup start howling? 17 wo husky hasn't howled yet!   husky - When did your pup start howling? 17 wo husky hasn't howled yet! EmptyMon Aug 21, 2017 9:40 pm

Kohdi started before I even got him. The breeder called him the spokesman for the group, haha. He's rarely not talking...seriously! The most vocal husky I've ever had. Then there is Mishka, she's at the other end of the spectrum, she's quiet as a mouse. I've heard her howling several times, but only when she's frustrated. Example, my alarm clock went off, I was outside, I came in and she's talking to my alarm clock and throwing her paw at it.

Past huskies, I've always had one more talkative than the other. All would howl though at things like sirens going by. Mishka doesn't do that either. With past huskies, I usually heard their vocals in the first month or two of having them.
Back to top Go down
melissa89
Puppy
Puppy
melissa89

Female Join date : 2016-12-11

PostSubject: Re: When did your pup start howling? 17 wo husky hasn't howled yet!   husky - When did your pup start howling? 17 wo husky hasn't howled yet! EmptyMon Aug 21, 2017 10:01 pm

My pup is 10 months and he hasn't howled yet. He barks sometimes but no howling.
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: When did your pup start howling? 17 wo husky hasn't howled yet!   husky - When did your pup start howling? 17 wo husky hasn't howled yet! EmptyTue Aug 22, 2017 5:56 pm

my boy is now 3 and still hasn't howled but he has finally stated to share his voice at last.

Last edited by RedFlashFire05 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Stihl1816
Newborn
Newborn
Stihl1816

Female Join date : 2016-11-03

PostSubject: Re: When did your pup start howling? 17 wo husky hasn't howled yet!   husky - When did your pup start howling? 17 wo husky hasn't howled yet! EmptyWed Aug 23, 2017 1:09 pm

My pup has howled a handful of times, usually when he's just really sad. Like my fiancé has heard him howl when I leave the house. In general he's super quiet, a couple barks when frustrated with our cat for not wanting to play lol
Back to top Go down
Mark Grubbs
Teenager
Teenager
Mark Grubbs

Male Join date : 2016-01-10

PostSubject: Re: When did your pup start howling? 17 wo husky hasn't howled yet!   husky - When did your pup start howling? 17 wo husky hasn't howled yet! EmptyThu Oct 19, 2017 1:34 am

Zhukov will only howl if it is initiated by either myself or Colby, and then only after a while of us howling like lunatics. He will howl if he sees another dog walking past in front of the house. He never barks either, he "hoots". Weird....
Back to top Go down
IamtheAlpha
Puppy
Puppy
IamtheAlpha

Female Join date : 2017-08-21

PostSubject: Re: When did your pup start howling? 17 wo husky hasn't howled yet!   husky - When did your pup start howling? 17 wo husky hasn't howled yet! EmptyThu Oct 19, 2017 6:50 pm

My girl is very quiet as well. I have been trying to get her to howl but the only time is when I take too long to put on my shoes to take her to the bathroom with her walks. But even that, it's usually just a quiet quick mouthing where you can hear her teeth click together, a quick bark, whining, or if I am lucky which maybe I have heard her done 3 times is a quick quiet howl that lasts barely a second.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: When did your pup start howling? 17 wo husky hasn't howled yet!   husky - When did your pup start howling? 17 wo husky hasn't howled yet! EmptyThu Oct 19, 2017 7:20 pm

I have three pups here - all 5+ years old and none of them gratuitously howl.

Avalanche - my Alaskan - will "Howl along with Mitch" (don't worry, that's *WAY* before your time!) when I play a vid of another dog howling, otherwise he'll bark when something/one is in the area around the trailer (he's not a bad watchdog, even is he is overly friendly)

Sasha will "speak" when I tell her to but then it's an excited bark because supper normally follows.

Sky rarely (even more rare than the other two) will "squeak" at me.

Now, if I leave, they'll serenade me till I'm out of ear shot - neighbor says they quiet down pretty quickly. Overall, I think that the howling / talking is highly overrated ... many who write here have dogs who are basically quiet.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Misty Mia Husky
Teenager
Teenager
Misty Mia Husky

Female Join date : 2017-09-19

PostSubject: Re: When did your pup start howling? 17 wo husky hasn't howled yet!   husky - When did your pup start howling? 17 wo husky hasn't howled yet! EmptyFri Oct 20, 2017 2:50 pm

Misty is 2 years old, theoretically, and we've had her for nearly two months without any genuine howling. She's plenty vocal -- Lots of woo-woo-wooing and barking and grumbling and grunting and "talking", but no wolflike howling. My old terrier mix sounded more like a wolf than she does. We've played YouTube videos for her of other Huskies howling, but she's not interested in them at all. If anything, she just seems annoyed by them.
Back to top Go down
RuledbyHades
Newborn
Newborn
RuledbyHades

Female Join date : 2018-02-08

PostSubject: Re: When did your pup start howling? 17 wo husky hasn't howled yet!   husky - When did your pup start howling? 17 wo husky hasn't howled yet! EmptyThu Feb 08, 2018 7:12 pm

Hades started howling at around 14 weeks but only at home, last week he suddenly started howling in public when a dog ignored him after playing, now he howls all the time in public or when I am taking to long to do things.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: When did your pup start howling? 17 wo husky hasn't howled yet!   husky - When did your pup start howling? 17 wo husky hasn't howled yet! EmptyThu Feb 08, 2018 7:46 pm

Ami had only howled 3x in 4 years. Each tone was extraordinary, the moist mournful sounds I've ever heard. Mostly, he talks...woo woo arrr arrrarrr

Z'ev...I don't know HOW to describe Z'ev. Not exactly howling, not exactly woo woo...sort of a banshee shriek wail screechy sort of thing. And he is liberal with it also. Usually in response to food or going outside. And accompanied with helicoptering.
Back to top Go down
CloverField
Puppy
Puppy
CloverField

Female Join date : 2017-11-15

PostSubject: Re: When did your pup start howling? 17 wo husky hasn't howled yet!   husky - When did your pup start howling? 17 wo husky hasn't howled yet! EmptyThu Feb 08, 2018 10:36 pm

My pup is 19 weeks old now, but she didn't make any sounds for the first couple of days that we had her, probably because she was scared and in a new unfamiliar place without her siblings or parents. Once she got comfortable and settled in, she only howled when I left and she had gotten super attached to me really quick, or she was in her crate because she hates it. Now when she gets super excited she'll howl or when she's crated or when I leave because it upsets her, but aside from that she won't howl unless we excite her and provoke it. Also, I see you're in Tampa too! If you ever want to meet up and have a playdate somewhere just message me!
Back to top Go down
Kmanweiss
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2016-09-01

PostSubject: Re: When did your pup start howling? 17 wo husky hasn't howled yet!   husky - When did your pup start howling? 17 wo husky hasn't howled yet! EmptyFri Feb 09, 2018 2:20 pm

Rorschach is a noisy dog. He barks at passing dogs. He barks and growls at cats. He yips if he wants attention. He snarls like a rabid wolf when playing. He makes all sorts of funny sounds if you are interacting with him and he wants something. He howls if he hears anything even remotely sounding like a howl.
Cop car across town, howl. Fire siren, howl. Other dog from blocks away howls, howl. Power tool with a whine, howl. Storm warning siren, howl.
The odd part is he won't howl if he's out of his kennel/run. He just looks around like he's not sure what to do. But if he's in his kennel, he howls in response. I think he thinks he's just alerting us to whats going on. With us, no howl, without us, howls.
He started howling by 4 months, but we didn't get him till he was 3 months old (rescue).
Back to top Go down
Misty Mia Husky
Teenager
Teenager
Misty Mia Husky

Female Join date : 2017-09-19

PostSubject: Re: When did your pup start howling? 17 wo husky hasn't howled yet!   husky - When did your pup start howling? 17 wo husky hasn't howled yet! EmptyFri Feb 09, 2018 2:54 pm

Misty now seems to be slowly working her way up to howling. She still mostly just talks and woo-woo-woos, but some of those woos are starting to sound more like "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" However, she still doesn't seem all that interested in fully embracing The Song Of Her People. We still occasionally play YouTube videos of Huskies howling, and I swear that when we do, Misty would put her paws over her ears if she could. She still seems to be mostly just annoyed by other dogs howling.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When did your pup start howling? 17 wo husky hasn't howled yet!   husky - When did your pup start howling? 17 wo husky hasn't howled yet! Empty

Back to top Go down

When did your pup start howling? 17 wo husky hasn't howled yet!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1