It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

HELP! Grooming a husky without getting fur everywhere!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ohfreak
Newborn
Newborn

HELP! Grooming a husky without getting fur everywhere! Empty
PostSubject: HELP! Grooming a husky without getting fur everywhere!   HELP! Grooming a husky without getting fur everywhere! EmptyThu Sep 28, 2017 9:23 pm

So it’s a constant battle trying to brush my husky without getting her hair everywhere. I use a undercoat rake to help her shed her undercoat but that just ends up making a mess with her fur getting everywhere. I also have a pool in yard which makes things worse because it’s clogging up the pool filter! I’ve tried going to the park to groom her but there was not way I could groom her and try and catch all the blowing fur which ends up making area in the grass like something died
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Grooming a husky without getting fur everywhere!   HELP! Grooming a husky without getting fur everywhere! EmptyFri Sep 29, 2017 10:33 am

I wouldn't worry about the mess it makes at the park as long as it's not a place or time that it might be blowing into an area where someone might be trying to eat or little kids playing. Birds love the fur so leaving it where they can easily get it is a good thing. Most of us just groom outside. As for the pool, maybe try brushing on the other side of the house rather than the side with the pool. I use a rake as well but I make about two strokes with the rake then clean it and put the fur in a bag or box. It's a constant dance of raking and collecting and depositing in a box when I groom inside. Then after I vacuum the house to get strays. I've wanted to on many occasions to just vacuum the dog and try to suck the hair off but, alas, she won't sit for that.

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Grooming a husky without getting fur everywhere!   HELP! Grooming a husky without getting fur everywhere! EmptyFri Sep 29, 2017 1:57 pm

My mom has the pool problem too, so at her house I brush the dog out on the carpet or on a rug which the fur generally sticks to. After I'm done brushing I pick up the majority and vacuum up the remainder.

The other thing we use is the slicker attachment for the Dyson so that the fur brushed out goes straight into the vacuum. Once you get your dog trained to accept being vacuum-brushed it is really one of the cleanest ways to brush in my experience.

Teenager
Teenager
Misty Mia Husky

Female Join date : 2017-09-19

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Grooming a husky without getting fur everywhere!   HELP! Grooming a husky without getting fur everywhere! EmptyFri Sep 29, 2017 2:22 pm

I have a routine that I've followed for YEARS with my dogs that has kept the amount of dog hair in the house and yard to a minimum. And believe me, I've had some EPIC shedders. (Who would think that a little ol' Shiba Inu could shed so much hair?!)  Anyway:

With all of my dogs, whenever the coat-blowing starts, I haul the dog outside every day to brush them -- preferably in an area away from where I'd want the fur to go (not near a pool or an air conditioner unit, for example.  Air conditioners are particularly good at sucking up dog hair and getting clogged with it).  I'm lucky enough to have a half-acre yard, so I usually just brush the dog in a side yard where neighbors aren't bothered by all the hair floating around.  Afterward, I gather up the big clumps of hair and stuff them into a trash bag.  I don't bother with trying to get ALL of the hair, just enough so that the lawn doesn't look like a hawk just killed and ate a bunny there or something.  It's true that birds seems to like using the loose dog hair for lining their nests.  We have a flock of Goldfinches around here that do just that.  

When the dog seems to be about halfway done with the coat blowing (usually about two weeks after starting), I take the dog to a groomer for a full bath & brush-out.  That usually takes care of the rest of the coat-blowing.  Our vet has a fantastic and very reasonably-priced on-site groomer, so I always time our dog's' regular checkups to coincide with a good grooming.  The dog gets dropped off at the vet in the morning and then has a regular checkup and a "spa day" before getting picked up in the afternoon.  Our vet and groomer are wonderful and actually become friends with the dogs -- AND many of the staff also own Huskies. All of my dogs have gotten used to the routine after a while.  A bonus is that, after a couple of visits, any stress the dog had about going to the vet is usually gone.

Anyway, I know not everyone is able to have a routine like that for dealing with dog hair, but it's an example of one way to tackle the problem.

-- Faye
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Grooming a husky without getting fur everywhere!   HELP! Grooming a husky without getting fur everywhere! Empty

Back to top Go down

HELP! Grooming a husky without getting fur everywhere!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1