It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Small Huskies

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cora Lee Hawkins
Newborn
Newborn
Cora Lee Hawkins

Female Join date : 2017-10-03

huskies - Small Huskies Empty
PostSubject: Small Huskies   huskies - Small Huskies EmptyThu Oct 12, 2017 11:29 pm

So I got my huskapup from a breeder I trust and took her to a vet who has no concerns for her weight. I'm worried that she is small for her size. She is 12 weeks old as of tomorrow and weighs a whole 11lbs. My cousin who has her older brother he weighed 18lbs at 12 weeks. I know females are smaller but I just was wondering about her size. He older brother is now a year and a half and weighs a whole 69 lbs. Her dad weighs 66 lbs and her mom weighs 50 lbs. The lady I got her from said the pups she has stayed in touch with range from 50-60 lbs. but at 12 weeks she only weighs 11. is this normal. My vet said a growth spurt could be on its way but the others who have husky pups around her age are all most twice her size.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Small Huskies   huskies - Small Huskies EmptyThu Oct 12, 2017 11:43 pm

I wouldn't worry about it. If your vet says she is good, then she more than likely is. My little girl came from a litter of only 3, she and her brother were very small, while her sister was almost double her size. When Mishka came to me, she weighed about 7 lbs (at 8 weeks) and I think by the point where your pup is right now, she weighed between 12-14 lbs. My Mishka stayed pretty small in height, but weighs about 41 lbs right now, but that doesn't mean your little girl will stay small, pups just grow at different rates. Judging by her parents size, I'd say your little girl will grow to an average husky size for a female. Both Mishka's mom and dad are on the smaller side of standard for a husky.
Back to top Go down
Cora Lee Hawkins
Newborn
Newborn
Cora Lee Hawkins

PostSubject: Re: Small Huskies   huskies - Small Huskies EmptyThu Oct 12, 2017 11:48 pm

Her parents are on the larger scale with her mom being a wooly. And the litter she came from a litter of 11 pups. The breeder said it was her largest litter yet. Again my cousin has a pup from her last litter and he is a large pup. She has put on 2 pounds in the two weeks we have had her she is starting to look a little chunky she got her last set of shots today and the vet said she is healthy and looks like she is going to it a growth spurt soon by the fact she is putting on some weight. i was just worried cause she is super small compared to other huskies I have seen her age
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Small Huskies   huskies - Small Huskies EmptyFri Oct 13, 2017 12:01 am

Cora, Al, who is one of our moderators in here, set up a post with members dogs and weights at certain ages, I wish I could direct you to the exact post with a link, so I'm hoping he posts to this thread for you. I think you will find Cas is pretty average for a female. You may also be able to find the post in search, just not exactly sure what keyword to use, maybe just "puppy weight"? I wish I could put your mind more at ease, I really think Cas is fine. My boy Kohdi, came from a large litter as well and he's at the upper end of standard at 59lbs, his brother stayed a bit smaller. Both his parents were on the lower end of standard too! so not quite sure how Kohdi ended up in the higher end, haha. Kohdi has been neutered though and I've heard that can affect height and weight.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Small Huskies   huskies - Small Huskies EmptyFri Oct 13, 2017 12:18 am

I would but at the moment I can't find it (( after driving about 900 miles from here to San Antonio and back, I'm surprised I can find the keyboard. ))  I'll look for it tomorrow after I've had some sleep.

ETA: Okay found it this morning (and added it to my "Watched threads" so I don't have to do that search again) It can be found here.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .

Last edited by aljones on Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Small Huskies   huskies - Small Huskies EmptyFri Oct 13, 2017 12:51 am

Honestly I wouldn't concern yourself. Your pup may not end up being small, but there is no guarantee yours will end up overly large either. It doesn't appear the breeder is breeding with much regard to the breed, breeding dogs of faults and outside of standard...and with not a lot of consistency in what it is they are producing. Just take care of her and value what she can be as a companion animal.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Kmanweiss
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2016-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Small Huskies   huskies - Small Huskies EmptyFri Oct 13, 2017 12:56 pm

Don't worry about it. As long as they are healthy, size/weight isn't that important.
My male husky is at the very bottom of the 'normal' chart for females. Doesn't bother him one bit. Honestly, I don't think he even knows.
Back to top Go down
Cora Lee Hawkins
Newborn
Newborn
Cora Lee Hawkins

PostSubject: Re: Small Huskies   huskies - Small Huskies EmptyFri Oct 13, 2017 7:58 pm

Cas's mom is a show dog and her dad is not both are akc registered. And well within standards of the breed. Most of her older siblings are around 50-60 lbs. Her older brother Hexley is just huge though. And she is rather small. I was just wondering if anyone else had small huskies. Her parents are papered and tested regularly. I had to go through some hoops to get her with shot and vet records on my current dog Storm (lab mix) and vet references from the vet I see. I have never had to go through so much to get a puppy before. She asked for everything but background checks and finger prints. I was just wondering about small huskies. Cas is health with an overly healthy appaite for food. I have to lock up any uneatten food otherwise Cas will eat it no question's asked I have caught her eating Storm's food after eating her own. But She is healthy just small.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Small Huskies   huskies - Small Huskies EmptyFri Oct 13, 2017 8:51 pm

Cora, i have read that larger litters produces smaller puppies, tho that can be just hooha, regardless of parents, let's just get to your puppy. I can't compare my husky's litter, she was extremely large at 5 months old and is presumed a mix of husky and something else. But my gsd came from a breeder. She was one of 8 in her litter. At 9 weeks old each weighed between 9-13 pounds, boys being larger. That litter weight wise was considered small puppies. Gsd's are slightly larger than huskies, I think your pup at 11 pounds is perfectly fine. I would actually be more concerned over the sibling weighing 18 pounds at the same age, too fast of growth may cause issues later in life with hips and joints. Relax and enjoy your pup, as long as she is growing at a slow and steady pace, she will eventually get to where she needs to be. Smile
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Small Huskies   huskies - Small Huskies EmptyFri Oct 13, 2017 11:54 pm

My foster male, at 6 years old, was 43 pounds at intake (animal control) dropped to 41 pounds at 1 week health check. When we got him he was thin and had some muscle wasting. He is now 45 pounds and put on both muscle and fat (and a glorious coat, thick, shiny and soft.)

I call him a peanut as he is at the bottom of the scale for a male husky.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Small Huskies   huskies - Small Huskies EmptySun Oct 15, 2017 2:55 am

Siberians are a medium size breed.

Females /should/ weigh 35-50 pounds.
Males 45-60 pounds.

Sure there will be dogs over standard. However if you feel your dog is smaller compared to all these large Siberians that are becoming oh so very common in byb lines, don't feel bad. Yours is simply within standard.

My girls are 36, 36, 37 pounds.
My boys are 43, 45, 45 pounds.
Back to top Go down
Doray
Newborn
Newborn
Doray

Female Join date : 2017-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Small Huskies   huskies - Small Huskies EmptySun Oct 15, 2017 11:22 pm

I was looking at this sweetie pies pictures and remembered your concerns about your puppy. https://www.itsahuskything.com/t17019-52-weeks-of-kay-evolution-of-grey-and-white-puppy

She seems very adorable and had a growth spurt between 13/14 weeks. I wonder if Cas will follow that pups growth pattern Smile
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Small Huskies   huskies - Small Huskies EmptySun Oct 15, 2017 11:38 pm

<< laughing >> don't plan on it, Huskies all seem to do their own thing. Don't be surprised if she has a growth spurt at any point up to about a year or so - of is she has none at all, just normal growth up to a point.

Did you see my table of weights? You can find it here. https://www.itsahuskything.com/t16813-weight-charts-updated-02-24-17

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
lepp1892
Teenager
Teenager
lepp1892

Male Join date : 2014-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Small Huskies   huskies - Small Huskies EmptyMon Oct 16, 2017 11:19 am

When we picked up Gabby at 8 weeks she was just under 8 lbs. She had a brother in her litter that was 13 lbs which I would think is similar to what you had in the litter you got your pups from.

Gabby is now around 40lbs. (could bear to lose a pound or 2 though) She was consistanly 35-36 lbs from age 1 to 3.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Small Huskies   huskies - Small Huskies Empty

Back to top Go down

Small Huskies

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1