It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

*waving* New Member Cary Grant

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mersea Lopez
Teenager
Teenager
Mersea Lopez

Female Join date : 2017-11-09

*waving* New Member Cary Grant Empty
PostSubject: *waving* New Member Cary Grant   *waving* New Member Cary Grant EmptyMon Nov 20, 2017 5:36 pm

Hi,

Just joined, but long-time reader here. Thank you for a place to learn about the breed. Cary Grant ("Grant") is my first Siberian Husky after a lifetime of Norwegian Elkhounds, Pembroke Welsh Corgis, and a GSD gifted at 6 mos to a trainer in Texas who promised to give him a job. I waited until I had the acreage for a Husky, and was an empty nester. Grant turns 2 this December and is emerging as the best running partner ever--he keeps our 5K daily routine with his woo-woo-ing if he doesn't see me donning  my shoes on time.

I joined here because our second Husky was just born and I will be flying to MI to pick her up in January. Grant was supposed to be a girl, but the litter was filled with boys, so I went with fate. This time around, Sophia Loren is the only girl in the litter (whew).

Grant goes to my private office with me every day and I'm rarely away from him. I've worked very hard on his manners and mouthing, and he is really sweet and balanced, if a little grumpy when sleeping. But there is no substitute for a Husky playmate. I planned this carefully from the beginning, and I've read extensively, but it is a bit daunting to think of the introduction. Supervision will be no problem, but I do wonder how the new puppy will affect Grant's world. He has worked very hard to fit into mine (for example, he can stop zoomies in the living room now to ask to go outside, super cute).

So I'm off to search again through your experiences with introducing the new Husky puppy to the pack, and I look forward to the interactions here. Your Husky photos are wonderful!

Warmly,
C Lopez
Back to top Go down
Misty Mia Husky
Teenager
Teenager
Misty Mia Husky

Female Join date : 2017-09-19

PostSubject: Re: *waving* New Member Cary Grant   *waving* New Member Cary Grant EmptyMon Nov 20, 2017 5:49 pm

LOVE the names of your dogs. Very Happy Very Happy

I am jealous that you've had Norwegian Elkhounds. They're on my Dog-I-Must-Have-Someday list.
Back to top Go down
Mersea Lopez
Teenager
Teenager
Mersea Lopez

PostSubject: Re: *waving* New Member Cary Grant   *waving* New Member Cary Grant EmptyMon Nov 20, 2017 5:56 pm

Misty Mia Husky wrote:
LOVE the names of your dogs. Very Happy Very Happy

I am jealous that you've had Norwegian Elkhounds.  They're on my Dog-I-Must-Have-Someday list.

Yep, old movie buff here. XD

My folks chose the Norwegian Elkhounds, but I obedience trained one of them when I was 10. She was a total clown, and so much fun. I love the way my Husky is friendly like they were.

Your girl is so gorgeous, btw. Smile
Back to top Go down
Misty Mia Husky
Teenager
Teenager
Misty Mia Husky

Female Join date : 2017-09-19

PostSubject: Re: *waving* New Member Cary Grant   *waving* New Member Cary Grant EmptyMon Nov 20, 2017 6:20 pm

Thanks! Is that Cary's photo in your profile? He's a very handsome fella -- just like his namesake.

One thing I can recommend on new dog introductions -- It helps to have the "old" dog meet the new dog outside of your home, preferably in neutral territory (that is, not your yard) -- and then once they're comfortable with each other, bring them both into your home at the same time.  This helps both dogs -- older dog and puppy -- to start off on equal footing.  Keep dishes and sleeping areas separate, at least at first.

Then hopefully your puppy will start treating your older dog like the World's Greatest Plaything, and your older dog will sigh with exasperation and gently put puppy in her place, over and over and over ...  Wink
Back to top Go down
Mersea Lopez
Teenager
Teenager
Mersea Lopez

PostSubject: Re: *waving* New Member Cary Grant   *waving* New Member Cary Grant EmptyMon Nov 20, 2017 6:43 pm

Misty Mia Husky wrote:

Then hopefully your puppy will start treating your older dog like the World's Greatest Plaything, and your older dog will sigh with exasperation and gently put puppy in her place, over and over and over ...  Wink

Yes, we call him Grant, but he's dude in the photo. Smile

After a long plane ride home (I'm fetching Sophia myself), we are planning to introduce the two in an area of the park where Grant is used to seeing dogs, but not the area where we run every day. He met a husky girl there once. We will arrive separately and leave together in the same vehicle. Lots of planning, and my family thinks I'm being overly cautious. But I have worked with Grant for almost two years and want the Huskies to have a healthy bond. He hasn't had a regular playmate besides my son Smile. Incidentally, the two have the same dad, and I wonder if she will smell like Grant's puppyhood. Probably not, but...

Also, Sophia has to go through the sleeping in her crate thing, while Grant has earned his freedom by never destroying anything ever (except recycling paper, but my fault for allowing it). I wonder how that will go. I've already started feeding on a schedule so bowls of food aren't laying around, and I'm back to giving Grant kibble in puzzles. I'm doling out and picking up toys and bones, after spending a year teaching him to "get a toy" instead of asking to play teeth-first. Usually he has toys in a basket by his bed, but I don't want him resource guarding.

Appreciate your experience and advice. Anecdotes welcome.
Back to top Go down
Kardalian
Newborn
Newborn
Kardalian

Male Join date : 2017-07-29

PostSubject: Re: *waving* New Member Cary Grant   *waving* New Member Cary Grant EmptyMon Nov 20, 2017 7:39 pm

I really like the thought and homework you are putting into this. We have only had our boy for a few months but are already planning on getting another around Christmas next year. Please keep posting how the introductions and training go. I'm really eager to hear the progression
Back to top Go down
Mersea Lopez
Teenager
Teenager
Mersea Lopez

PostSubject: Re: *waving* New Member Cary Grant   *waving* New Member Cary Grant EmptyMon Nov 20, 2017 8:08 pm

Sure, as I fumble along. I'll share. Smile Likewise, I'll be watching all puppy news here to learn from you.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: *waving* New Member Cary Grant   *waving* New Member Cary Grant EmptyTue Nov 21, 2017 11:35 am

Cary Grant is probably my all-time favorite actor up there with John Wayne. I've almost ruined my copy of the movie Bringing Up Baby. Sounds like Grant has a pretty sweet gig and I have no doubt that Sophia will fall right in and love it too. And he will love her. I wouldn't worry too much about introductions. As long as he is good around smaller dogs this should be no different than meeting a smaller dog. Just be careful meeting where there have been other dogs with your puppy since she won't have all her shots yet. You don't want her to catch something during the meeting inadvertently.

Teenager
Teenager
Mersea Lopez

PostSubject: Re: *waving* New Member Cary Grant   *waving* New Member Cary Grant EmptyTue Nov 21, 2017 12:56 pm

Really good point. I'm starting to think about alternative venues... I appreciate your encouragement. Grant is too hyper around my son's older Corgi because she doesn't want to play, but meetings around town usually go fine. I see the way even female Huskies play rough and eventually he will enjoy her.

Btw, my instagram is @grantthehusky. That's where I stash photos. Smile
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: *waving* New Member Cary Grant   *waving* New Member Cary Grant EmptyTue Nov 21, 2017 11:55 pm

Handsome boy...and I think we'll have to watch an old Cary Grant movie tonight Razz

Welcome - looking forward to seeing lots and lots of pics!
Back to top Go down
Mersea Lopez
Teenager
Teenager
Mersea Lopez

PostSubject: Re: *waving* New Member Cary Grant   *waving* New Member Cary Grant EmptyWed Nov 22, 2017 1:53 pm

Thank you, Amy. We have framed collections in the TV room of both Hollywood's Cary Grant and Karnovanda's Cary Grant. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mersea Lopez
Teenager
Teenager
Mersea Lopez

PostSubject: Re: *waving* New Member Cary Grant   *waving* New Member Cary Grant EmptyWed Nov 22, 2017 4:26 pm

BTW, I put up photos in the member photos section under Sophia because I have no idea what I'm doing. Very Happy But they're there.
Back to top Go down
Vanessa
Newborn
Newborn
Vanessa

Female Join date : 2017-10-17

PostSubject: Re: *waving* New Member Cary Grant   *waving* New Member Cary Grant EmptyWed Nov 22, 2017 7:57 pm

Wow, I'm actually impressed of all the thought you have put on the meeting! When we broughtg Laika home it was more of a "here you two now say hi and love each other" Shocked it was great, like love at first sighht but we were incredibly lucky (reading your planning made me realize that) but I am sure for what I read about Grant eberything will be fine Smile will be following you on instagram!
Back to top Go down
Mersea Lopez
Teenager
Teenager
Mersea Lopez

PostSubject: Re: *waving* New Member Cary Grant   *waving* New Member Cary Grant EmptyThu Nov 23, 2017 12:34 pm

Thanks, Vanessa, I'll follow back. Smile

Grant is a very laid back alpha, but we have worked through jealousy issues early on and I'm being cautious: he has to share his mom with the new baby. I want to sell him on the perks of a little sister, not the cost. Haha

Your two are my goal. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: *waving* New Member Cary Grant   *waving* New Member Cary Grant Empty

Back to top Go down

*waving* New Member Cary Grant

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1