It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
LoverofTheWolf
Newborn
Newborn

husky - I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  Empty
PostSubject: I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER    husky - I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  EmptyThu Nov 23, 2017 12:29 am

So for my birthday, my fiance decided to surprised me with a new puppy! She knows how much I LOVE wolves and huskys were a dog breed i have always wanted since they resemble wolves so much! Now i have been researching a lot about them, and differences between quality huskys and huskys that are not standard and i have been getting pretty nervous becuase the husky that is soon to be mine, does't look like a normal husky. I am getting him from a breeder and i know how sensitive of a topic that is for a lot of people. But i would just like some opinions and advice from all of you, the little guy is 2 weeks old, ima put some pics up for you guys!husky - I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  Img_0310
husky - I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  Img_0311
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER    husky - I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  EmptyThu Nov 23, 2017 12:36 am

I wouldn't stress just yet, puppies don't look like much at that age, 5-6 weeks and you'll see a total difference. Were you able to see and/or meet the parents?

Congrats on your new pup! Smile
Back to top Go down
LoverofTheWolf
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER    husky - I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  EmptyThu Nov 23, 2017 12:42 am

Artic_Wind wrote:
I wouldn't stress just yet, puppies don't look like much at that age, 5-6 weeks and you'll see a total difference. Were you able to see and/or meet the parents?

husky - I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  Img_0210
This is the Mom, breeder showed us a picture of the Dad, and the Dad was a regular gray husky.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER    husky - I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  EmptyThu Nov 23, 2017 12:45 am

Looks like he will look a lot like mom. As I said though, he will change dramatically in the next few weeks so just be patient.
Back to top Go down
LoverofTheWolf
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER    husky - I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  EmptyThu Nov 23, 2017 12:48 am

Artic_Wind wrote:
Looks like he will look a lot like mom. As I said though, he will change dramatically in the next few weeks so just be patient.
I'm just a bit confused becuase he doesn't have a regular mask like most huskys do.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER    husky - I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  EmptyThu Nov 23, 2017 12:54 am

Husky masks are all different and change so much in their lifetime. His mom has a pretty dark face, I believe it's called a "dirty face" but not sure it actually falls into that category. In any event, if you wanted the wolf look, I'm pretty sure you got it as most wolves have the dirty face type markings as compared to the average husky markings, My boy huskies mask as a puppy is NOTHING like it was as a pup and changed from week to week.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER    husky - I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  EmptyThu Nov 23, 2017 1:07 am

Kohdi as a puppy, Kohdi now. There is a bit of a differencehusky - I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  Image14
husky - I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  Image15
Back to top Go down
LoverofTheWolf
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER    husky - I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  EmptyThu Nov 23, 2017 1:11 am

Artic_Wind wrote:
Kohdi as a puppy, Kohdi now. There is a bit of a differencehusky - I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  Image14
husky - I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  Image15
Hes adorable! lol and i see what u mean! Definitely
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER    husky - I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  EmptyThu Nov 23, 2017 1:27 am

Thank you! Smile

The breeder I got my last two huskies from taught me something. The pup I had chosen, had bi-eyes (one blue eye, one brown eye) and I *wanted* two brown eyes. She gave me the option of backing out, and choosing a pup from a future litter but she explained to me not to choose a pup based on what I want the pup to look like, to choose based on quality. If you have quality, everything else falls into place. I had already fallen in love with the pup I chose so I did not back out, and I had the husky of my dreams. Even though, he didn't have two eyes of the same color Wink

Don't stress. Your pup will look entirely different very soon (he's pretty adorable already) and I will bet you will feel you have gotten the perfect husky Smile
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER    husky - I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  EmptyFri Nov 24, 2017 11:56 am

To know if you are getting a quality dog you need to look at the breeder and what they require of their dogs. Health testing, showing and working their dogs. We have a thread about what to look for when finding a reputable breeder. If the breeder is reputable then you can rest assured you are getting a quality dog. Huskies come in every combo of color and marking so having one that looks different than average is no indication that you aren't getting quality. Same as some that look like the average show dog and what people expect can be low quality dogs riddled with health issues.

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER    husky - I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  EmptyFri Nov 24, 2017 9:02 pm

TwisterII wrote:
To know if you are getting a quality dog you need to look at the breeder and what they require of their dogs. Health testing, showing and working their dogs. We have a thread about what to look for when finding a reputable breeder. If the breeder is reputable then you can rest assured you are getting a quality dog. Huskies come in every combo of color and marking so having one that looks different than average is no indication that you aren't getting quality. Same as some that look like the average show dog and what people expect can be low quality dogs riddled with health issues.
Thank you very much, that is actually a really good point
Back to top Go down
LoverofTheWolf
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER    husky - I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  EmptySun Dec 03, 2017 2:46 am

Artic_Wind wrote:

Just Wanted to give you an update and everyone else who helped! Okami(my pups name) is 4 weeks now! Almost time for him to come home! I go to see him every week and every week he gets cuter and cuter and i just love em!!!! He's pretty fluffy and chubby now, which kind of worries me cuz I want my husky to be nice and fit, don't want him to have any health problems. (In the photo of 3 Okami is the one on the left husky - I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  Img_0312
husky - I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  Img_0313
husky - I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  Img_0316
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER    husky - I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  EmptySun Dec 03, 2017 12:37 pm

Awwww, such a cutie! Okami is a great name!

Thank you so much for updating, keep doing it! ????

Last edited by Artic_Wind on Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER    husky - I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  EmptySun Dec 03, 2017 1:34 pm

Young puppies ARE chunky. They start to lean out...oh maybe sometime around 4-5 months. Then as they get into "teen" years somewhere 7-10 months, people start worrying..."my husky is SOOOOO thin..." That too passes as they mature, close to 2 or a bit over.

Your pup is really cute.
Back to top Go down
LoverofTheWolf
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER    husky - I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  EmptySun Dec 03, 2017 4:29 pm

Artic_Wind wrote:

Lol thanks! By the way he looks really big in the pic of three but thats just how the pic was taken, they don't actually look that big in person hahahah xD. Just got back from petsmart, just bought him a collard and tag so excited!!
Back to top Go down
LoverofTheWolf
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER    husky - I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  EmptySun Dec 03, 2017 4:30 pm

amymeme wrote:
Young puppies ARE chunky.  They start to lean out...oh maybe sometime around 4-5 months.  Then as they get into "teen" years somewhere 7-10 months, people start worrying..."my husky is SOOOOO thin..."  That too passes as they mature, close to 2 or a bit over.

Your pup is really cute.
Thank you for the input! Helps a lot! xD
Back to top Go down
LoverofTheWolf
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER    husky - I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  EmptySun Dec 03, 2017 5:07 pm

Artic_Wind wrote:

By the Way, check out this video to see how big he actually looks hahaha!
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER    husky - I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  EmptySun Dec 03, 2017 5:31 pm

LoverofTheWolf wrote:

Artic_Wind wrote:

By the Way, check out this video to see how big he actually looks hahaha!

He's adorable!!! You have to keep updating here! LOL. There is a thread called "52 weeks" in the scrapbook section here, it's where you post a pic (or pics!) of your puppy every week for 52 weeks and you've already got a great start, you should totally start one! It's a really cool way of documenting how much or how little, your pup changes from week to week.
Back to top Go down
LoverofTheWolf
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER    husky - I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  EmptySat Dec 23, 2017 2:21 am

husky - I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  20171210
husky - I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  Tempim10
Just a quick update guys! Okami came home today!!!!!! It was very eventful, we explored the world together and SOOOOO MANY PEOPLE SO MANY MANY absolutely ADORED him, I felt famous! Lol. So far, i've been able to catch him in the act of lookin to poop and was able to bring him outside where he pooped! SO happy bout that, but he peed a couple of times inside which made me sad. Told him no then brought him right outside. As for the picture with him in his crate, let me tell you the story. I was terrified that it was going to be a lot of trouble becuase the first time i closed the doors on him, he wouldnt stop crying. I didnt wana push it too much becuase its his first time and i dont want him to fear the crate, so I let em out. After a bit of play he slept right under me while I sat at my computer. I decided to pick em up and put em in the crate, and he went right to sleep! And hes been there for an hour already sleeping so thats exciting! LOl, how often should i take him outside during the night to do his business while hes only 7 weeks? and anymore advicce you guys wana give me i will gladly take!
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER    husky - I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  EmptySat Dec 23, 2017 4:12 pm

Lordy, he's cute as the devil! One way I've made the crate desirable to my foster is feeding his meals in there and, initially, all treats were in the crate.

As for night time, ummm...at 7 weeks? Maybe every 2-3 hours?

And, speaking of 7 weeks...that's a bit young to leave the litter. He will be missing out on important socialization from littermates and mom so you now have to be the socializer (is there such a word Razz ) The big one is bite inhibition. Your pup will most likely be highly mouthy and you will have to be firm in suppressing that. You may even have to resort to leather gloves when you play/train him. There is lots of info on here about bite inhibition (and really, this NOT aggressive biting, its just how pups of this age learn about the world.)

Also - I wouldn't leave his collar on in the crate unless you are right there with him - collars and tags can get caught in the wires. You may wonder "huh" but puppies are the damnedest things...they will ever surprise you with their antics.

Also - for potty training, keeping a leash on in the house, as he gets older, even the leash attached to you, can help tremendously to catch him in the act and take him outside. At this age, without full shots you really have to be careful - no un-vaccinated dogs, no unknown dogs...no walking on outside surfaces frequented by dogs. Diseases, particularly Parvo, can be fatal at this age. ANd expensive if hospitalization, IV's etc are needed.
Back to top Go down
LoverofTheWolf
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER    husky - I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  EmptySun Dec 24, 2017 1:02 am

amymeme wrote:
Lordy, he's cute as the devil!  One way I've made the crate desirable to my foster is feeding his meals in there and, initially, all treats were in the crate.  

As for night time, ummm...at 7 weeks?  Maybe every 2-3 hours?

And, speaking of 7 weeks...that's a bit young to leave the litter.  He will be missing out on important socialization from littermates and mom so you now have to be the socializer (is there such a word Razz )  The big one is bite inhibition.  Your pup will most likely be highly mouthy and you will have to be firm in suppressing that.  You may even have to resort to leather gloves when you play/train him.  There is lots of info on here about bite inhibition (and really, this NOT aggressive biting, its just how pups of this age learn about the world.)

Also - I wouldn't leave his collar on in the crate unless you are right there with him - collars and tags can get caught in the wires.  You may wonder "huh" but puppies are the damnedest things...they will ever surprise you with their antics.

Also - for potty training, keeping a leash on in the house, as he gets older, even the leash attached to you, can help tremendously to catch him in the act and take him outside.  At this age, without full shots you really have to be careful - no un-vaccinated dogs, no unknown dogs...no walking on outside surfaces frequented by dogs.  Diseases, particularly Parvo, can be fatal at this age.  ANd expensive if hospitalization, IV's etc are needed.

Thanks for all the information and advice! Last night I did actually end up taking off the collar becuase I thought hed be more comfortable, and im glad i did  becuase i had no idea it could get caught! Thanks for that! As for Last night, I ended up waking up a lot at night because he would sleep for an hour or 2 and then wake up and cry and bark! Each time i took him out and let him fall asleep on me and then put him back in. He's very reliant on sleeping near me. But someone told me today that I should be ignoring him while he cries in the crate, and to help i should put a blanket over to obscure his vision of me. Is this true?
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER    husky - I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  EmptySun Dec 24, 2017 1:52 am

He is adorable! Congrats on finally getting him home Smile

The collar getting caught on the crate is very true. I know this from a past experience. Sad

I know the typical advice for a new puppy is to ignore their cries ...my own breeder even suggests it on her website. I didn't do that myself. For the first week, I slept next to the crate. It accomplished two things, it allowed them to feel comfortable in their new home, and allowed me to know exactly when they needed to go out at night to pee. After that week, they were fine with just falling asleep once put in there. Not saying ignoring their cries is bad advice. It's the accepted way of doing things, just saying that in my case atleast, everything worked out.

Putting a blanket over the crate might obscure his vision of you, but he will still know you are there, lol. Putting a blanket over the crate is generally to make the crate more den like. You just have to be careful doing it because if your puppy gets ahold of it, and pulls it in, starts chewing on it, if he swallows any of it, it can be very bad.

Back to top Go down
LoverofTheWolf
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER    husky - I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  EmptySun Dec 24, 2017 2:01 am

Artic_Wind wrote:
He is adorable! Congrats on finally getting him home Smile

The collar getting caught on the crate is very true. I know this from a past experience. Sad

I know the typical advice for a new puppy is to ignore their cries ...my own breeder even suggests it on her website. I didn't do that myself. For the first week, I slept next to the crate. It accomplished two things, it allowed them to feel comfortable in their new home, and allowed me to know exactly when they needed to go out at night to pee. After that week, they were fine with just falling asleep once put in there. Not saying ignoring their cries is bad advice. It's the accepted way of doing things, just saying that in my case atleast, everything worked out.

Putting a blanket over the crate might obscure his vision of you, but he will still know you are there, lol. Putting a blanket over the crate is generally to make the crate more den like. You just have to be careful doing it because if your puppy gets ahold of it, and pulls it in, starts chewing on it, if he swallows any of it, it can be very bad.

That's interesting, I actually slept next to his crate last night and it actually helped a bit. But Last night i was quite soft and gave in to his screams. RIght now, as i type this he's yelling like he's dying but I am determined to keep myself from letting him out until I have to when he needs to go outside in the next 2-3 hours
Back to top Go down
Mersea Lopez
Teenager
Teenager
Mersea Lopez

Female Join date : 2017-11-09

PostSubject: Re: I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER    husky - I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  EmptySun Dec 24, 2017 11:53 am

Cute puppy!

I practiced attachment parenting with my child, so of course I placed the Husky puppy crate by my bed. We slept in peace. I could not sleep at all if my puppy were not right beside me.

Grant doesn't sleep in his crate anymore, but sleeps in the bedroom. The new puppy will sleep in the crate beside the bed. The den is a very important part of our home and everyone goes to bed at the same time. My excuse is we are a family of mammals. Haha

Also, Grant is very independent and not comfortable sleeping on the bed. He jumps up on the bed in the morning after checking to see if my eyes are open.

When he was a puppy, he would stir and I'd take him out. It's easy to hear movement in the crate, and puppy potty time is pretty much anytime they wake up.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER    husky - I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  EmptySun Dec 24, 2017 12:09 pm

There are, apparently, a couple of different trains of thought about how to crate train.  

One amounts to essentially put him in the crate and leave him alone until he quiets down and then reward him with a treat or by letting him out.  The object, it seems, is to get him to understand that he's going to be crated when needed and that's the end of the story.

The other is to gradually introduce him to the crate and let him go in and out as he wants; feed / treat him in his rate so that he knows it's*his* den and a good place.  Shut him in for a few minutes with you still there and get him to lie down (you have taught him to lie down, right?) - reward for any period of quiet.

*Personal opinion* here:  the first method, to me, seems like it will result in a dog with separation anxiety and resistance to the crate.  The second is going to take longer but seems like it results in a dog who's happier in *his den*.

I have three dogs, two of whom are crated and one who spends a lot of his time outside on lead.  He's never left me anything and is well behaved so as long as he's stays on his good behaviour he gets the liberty of the house.  The other two were leaving puddles in the kitchen overnight or when I had to leave the house for any length of time (10 minutes qualified!) so I got crates for them.  Sky, seems to have already been crate trained so she readily adapted to going in as needed.  Sasha took some work but I left her crate open and used treats at night when I crated her - she never was loud so I lucked out.  Both Sky and Sasha will let me know that it's morning and time for them to get out but they're not  too obnoxious about it,

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER    husky - I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  Empty

Back to top Go down

I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next