It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

8 month old suddenly fighting at the dog park

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Windfishin
Puppy
Puppy
Windfishin

park - 8 month old suddenly fighting at the dog park Empty
PostSubject: 8 month old suddenly fighting at the dog park   park - 8 month old suddenly fighting at the dog park EmptyMon Nov 27, 2017 8:56 pm

Lachlan has always been awesome at the dog parks. Even when/if another dog would be aggressive, he'd avoid or submit. And on the few occasions when another dog did act aggressive or territorial with him he never seemed phased or scared like he thought it was play.

Since the testosterone started kicking in we notice changes...hyper active smelling, lots of peeing/marking, maybe a bit more chewy/destructive when he gets bored/lonely at home. My goal was to hold out at least months before neutering him and he's now scheduled to go in in 2 week when he'll be 8.5 months.

2 days ago he got in his first dog park fight. A 6 month old male lab type who seemed to take an aggressive interest in Lachlan as soon as we got there. They were OK for a bit then suddenly things escalated where Lachlan had his ear in a death clench and the other dog had his neck. Took forever for me and other owner to pry them apart and I was trying to pry jaws apart and got both hands bit by both dogs. Lesson learned, now he's going to wear his harness around other dogs so I have a handle on top to pull him off with. The other dogs ear seemed to be fine which tells me Lachlan wasn't really out for blood.

Hoping it was a fluke, I went back today. There were a ton of dogs including other huskies and husky-types which he usually gravitates to. But today he seemed to zero in on dogs that were about his size or slightly smaller. He would try to hump them and when they'd protest the fighting would start. (no #metoo jokes please Shocked ) Within 10 minutes I had to pull him off 2 dogs and we left.

I've heard it takes a month or 2 for the crazy hormones to drain out after the neuter. What are the chances he'll return to his old self? No way we're going back to the dog park for now which makes getting him enough exercise much harder. Plus if he goes 2+ months with little or no other dog contact I'm worried his good socialization will devolve.

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: 8 month old suddenly fighting at the dog park   park - 8 month old suddenly fighting at the dog park EmptyMon Nov 27, 2017 9:17 pm

Applaud your no dog parks til after he's neutered. Just an fyi, a safer easy.to break up dog fight is to grab the jobs legs and pull. I've also found with my two - the peanut liked to go after the gentle giant, inevitably gets himself smacked down and a good shaking with virtually no injury. But even though the little one starts it, the big one ends up on top...I just stand behind and grab huge hunks of hair and pull back. But...someone has to be ready to intercept the little one as he has more balls then sense (he wears a muzzle, for pete,'s sake!) Note..he really had NO balls, he's neutered and, knock on wood, this seems to be a thing of the past.
Back to top Go down
Windfishin
Puppy
Puppy
Windfishin

PostSubject: Re: 8 month old suddenly fighting at the dog park   park - 8 month old suddenly fighting at the dog park EmptyMon Nov 27, 2017 10:44 pm

Thanks Amy, another question. Do adolescent pups in Lach's "condition" harass other dogs that have been fixed? Or do they smell that there's no breeding happening there and move on?

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: 8 month old suddenly fighting at the dog park   park - 8 month old suddenly fighting at the dog park EmptyMon Nov 27, 2017 11:38 pm

Ummm .... to answer your question. Maybe. Maybe not. Not only is he in a storm of hormones, he's also a teenager. AKA, an a** hole. He's gonna need lots of correction for a while, watching him and ending interactions that are high excitement.
Back to top Go down
Windfishin
Puppy
Puppy
Windfishin

PostSubject: Re: 8 month old suddenly fighting at the dog park   park - 8 month old suddenly fighting at the dog park EmptyWed Jan 10, 2018 6:14 am

Update: Since getting neutered on 2/13, I waited 3 weeks before trying the dog park. So far we've had about 3 out of 4 visits go well. On one he got too aggressive with some of the smaller dogs that were there, but otherwise he's back and not humping.
Back to top Go down
MartianHusky
Puppy
Puppy
MartianHusky

Male Join date : 2016-05-29

PostSubject: Re: 8 month old suddenly fighting at the dog park   park - 8 month old suddenly fighting at the dog park EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 9:52 pm

Windfishin wrote:
Thanks Amy, another question.  Do adolescent pups in Lach's "condition" harass other dogs that have been fixed?  Or do they smell that there's no breeding happening there and move on?  

I doubt this is due to him not being fixed. I see these issues as training issues with both fixed and intact dogs. Are there some intact dogs that will harass dogs more since they are having an adolescent testosterone surge? Probably, but this issue is usually blown out of proportion just as much how some people blame the reactivity of fixed dogs towards intact dogs on the intact dog being in the dog park. The majority of dogfights I have seen are between fixed males.

People need to train their dogs instead of looking for quick fixes like neutering that will likely not resolve the underlying issue.
Back to top Go down
Windfishin
Puppy
Puppy
Windfishin

PostSubject: Re: 8 month old suddenly fighting at the dog park   park - 8 month old suddenly fighting at the dog park EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 6:55 pm

Well, I think every dog is different for sure.  Now a month after the neuter our dog park visits are getting better and better and he's generally less aggro and more mindful.  One of his new best buddies at the dog park is this big guy (I forget the breed) who's 10 months and not neutered.  He's very gentle and calm for the most part and gets along great with Lach.  

park - 8 month old suddenly fighting at the dog park 8

park - 8 month old suddenly fighting at the dog park Lach_w10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 8 month old suddenly fighting at the dog park   park - 8 month old suddenly fighting at the dog park Empty

Back to top Go down

8 month old suddenly fighting at the dog park

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1