It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

My Pup Is Having Some Weird Poop Problems!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
HuskyLife
Newborn
Newborn

My Pup Is Having Some Weird Poop Problems!  Empty
PostSubject: My Pup Is Having Some Weird Poop Problems!    My Pup Is Having Some Weird Poop Problems!  EmptyMon Dec 04, 2017 1:36 pm

Howdy Husky Fam.

My girl Ghost has been having some digestion issues over the last couple of days, and I'd love some input on what's going on, and how I can help her.

Ok. She just turned 10 months old on December 1st, and for the entirety of her puppy life she's been eating Taste of the Wild puppy edition. She likes it, we've never had a problem before, so why change it?

Anyway, two nights ago she had some serious diarrhea going on. I was up with her all night taking her out when she would come get me. She probably went about 5 times over the course of 8 hours. I called the vet the next morning and they said to feed her rice with beef broth, and to let her digestive system rest so don't feed her a lot and cut out any treats. That same morning she had a small-but-formed poop, so I thought we were kind of in the clear, but I tried to feed her the rice instead of anything else anyway just to be safe. She picked on it a little bit, and I left the rest of it in her bowl all day, but she wasn't interested. She went the rest of the day without food until dinner time, and I gave her about half the normal portion of food which she ate. She only did a small formed poop that night, which I thought was normal considering she didn't have her normal amount of food that day, or any treats / chews.

This morning, she had another small OK poop, so I fed her the typical breakfast portion of her Taste of the Wild again thinking everything was fine. On our walk this morning, she had another bad case of diarrhea, so, here we are.

I called the vet again and they suggested adding a little chicken to her rice, so that's what we're going to try for dinner. I should mention that the urgency she had the night before when it was really bad is pretty much gone, but the diarrhea is still there.

Any tips? Should I be worried? Does it sound like she's sick, or has some new issue with her old food? I'm having a hard time determining what caused this, because the same treats/food she's been eating for months is all she's ate leading up to these issues, although it's always possible she picked up something outside / in the yard that she shouldn't have.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Kmanweiss
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2016-09-01

PostSubject: Re: My Pup Is Having Some Weird Poop Problems!    My Pup Is Having Some Weird Poop Problems!  EmptyMon Dec 04, 2017 2:40 pm

How much TOTW were you feeding her?
Did anything change with the food? Did you start a new bag when the issues started for instance?
Could she have gotten into something else? Garbage, bag of treats, etc?
Have you tried pumpkin? We keep pumpkin in stock year round for dog issues. Diarrhea? Pumpkin. Constipation? Pumpkin. It's kind of a miracle cure for doggie GI issues. Try a teaspoon with each feeding for a day.
Some dogs are allergic to rice. Some smaller feedings till things improve isn't bad, but a total diet rewrite can often cause as many problems as it can fix.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: My Pup Is Having Some Weird Poop Problems!    My Pup Is Having Some Weird Poop Problems!  EmptyMon Dec 04, 2017 3:25 pm

Agree with Dave, I also would take a poop sample into the vet to rule out worms or parasites, giardia and coccidea are common in pups and can be picked up outside.
Back to top Go down
Husky911
Puppy
Puppy
Husky911

Male Join date : 2017-03-30

PostSubject: Re: My Pup Is Having Some Weird Poop Problems!    My Pup Is Having Some Weird Poop Problems!  EmptyMon Dec 04, 2017 3:46 pm

Hi HuskyLife!

Oh the dirrhea! Echo used to get it all the time, and still occasionally gets it.  Comes with the territory of owning a dog with a sensitive stomach.  I would try the bland diet for a week before you assume the worst with worms or parasites.  Here's what I used to do to clear Echo's diarrhea.

• Fast your dog for 24 hours.  If your last feeding was in the AM, don't feed until the next AM.  This allows the your dog's GI system to detox, and recover a bit...This is the single most important step that I ever did to stop the diarrhea
  • Bland diet of rice and chicken for a couple of days until you get formed stools.  If your dog isn't interested in rice (like my dog), I would mix in pure pumpkin and a 5-10 pieces of kibble in with the bland diet
  • Add 1 tbsp of pure pumpkin into whatever you're feeding your dog for awhile.  This stuff is cheap, can be found in the baking section of any grocery store.  Just make sure it's 100% pure pumpkin and nothing else...if you get the pie filling stuff loaded with sugar your dog is going to get even more dirrhea
  • Once your dog starts having normal poops, slowly transition back to his kibble like you're switching food, increasing the percentage of kibble per meal over a course of a few days...

If after this or your dog continues to have diarrhea, I would probably take him/her to the vet with a stool sample for further analysis.

But this was my magic fix for Echo's diarrhea woes when he was a puppy.  And he had dirrhea bbbaaaaddd every couple of weeks as puppy.  But I then switched him to RAW and 12 hours later...magic...now i get excited when he goes poo =D.  His ass shoots brown rainbows daily!

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Pup Is Having Some Weird Poop Problems!    My Pup Is Having Some Weird Poop Problems!  Empty

Back to top Go down

My Pup Is Having Some Weird Poop Problems!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1