It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Looking at breeders

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tetrisnweb
Newborn
Newborn

breeders - Looking at breeders Empty
PostSubject: Looking at breeders   breeders - Looking at breeders EmptyThu Dec 07, 2017 10:21 am

Currently I am in the process of finding a husky pup and so far talked to few breeders. Anyone has experience with Aruff farms(bestakcpups)?

List of breeders on AKC site does not look legit. Can someone point to me to resources that can help me pick the right breeder?

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

Male Join date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Looking at breeders   breeders - Looking at breeders EmptyThu Dec 07, 2017 11:14 am

I would recommend looking at the Siberian Husky Club of America, they have a comprehensive list of breeders across the nation that follow a strict code of ethics. While not being on the parent club's list isn't in and of itself a red flag, I would question any breeder who isn't on that list. You can find the parent club's list of breeders here:

http://www.shca.org/shcahp4f.htm

A quick glance at your breeder seems to suggest that they're okay, they have hip/eye certifications and have been breeding for awhile. However from what I saw they weren't listed on the parent club site, and I don't know about that 7 day return guarantee (it sounds off to me). So make of that what you will.

Last edited by AMB on Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Mersea Lopez
Teenager
Teenager
Mersea Lopez

Female Join date : 2017-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Looking at breeders   breeders - Looking at breeders EmptyThu Dec 07, 2017 11:40 am

I agree with Aidan, and can vouch for SHCA Detroit member Karnovanda (Judy Russell) linked through their chapter http://www.shcgd.com/breedinfo.htm.

My Cary Grant is from Judy, as is my new puppy, Sophia Loren, who is still with her at 3 weeks old.
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

Male Join date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Looking at breeders   breeders - Looking at breeders EmptyThu Dec 07, 2017 1:07 pm

I also want to add that, after getting out of class and checking around the site a bit more, the breeder you're interested in has had 7 litters in the past 4 months. That may be somewhat of a red flag, most reputable breeders will have maybe 2-4 litters per year at max. Even if the parent's are genetically tested and quality standards are higher than normal, it's hard to make a case that you're not a puppy mill if you're pushing such a high volume of dogs. I mean, if they found a way to make a profit off of breeding (by pushing a high volume of puppies) without compromising the integrity or health of the dogs while simultaneously vetting potential owners to ensure all their puppies go to a good home, then more power to them. However this would be the first time I've ever heard of a genuine and reputable for-profit breeder, as most reputable breeders do it as a hobby and actually end up losing money when they have a litter...

If you do decide to pursue this breeder then these are some of the questions that you ought to ask them. They seem honest enough and have a lot of things going for them, but there are also a few grievances and concerns that should be addressed.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Looking at breeders   breeders - Looking at breeders EmptyThu Dec 07, 2017 1:42 pm

I Know we've had the discussion aboutBestAKCPups /Aruff before but our disgusting search function fails to find it.

Given the choice between Karnovonda and Aruff --- well there is no choice.  

Look at this search of our site for Karnovanda for information about them

and compare the first five or six hits for Aruff

and I'm saying no more on this particular topic. We had one breeder who was unhappy with our discussion of them and I'd rather not have another.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
tetrisnweb
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Looking at breeders   breeders - Looking at breeders EmptyThu Dec 07, 2017 2:20 pm

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all the information provided here. So glad I found this forum and started this thread.

If there are any other reputable vendors that I can reach out to, please add to this thread.

Thanks in advance Smile
Back to top Go down
Mersea Lopez
Teenager
Teenager
Mersea Lopez

Female Join date : 2017-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Looking at breeders   breeders - Looking at breeders EmptyThu Dec 07, 2017 2:48 pm

I'm going all in to say, I'm flying out from Florida to Michigan again in a month for my early birthday present Karnovanda puppy. And I'd fly much farther than that! This is my second puppy from Judy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking at breeders   breeders - Looking at breeders Empty

Back to top Go down

Looking at breeders

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1