It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

9 week old pup biting other dog hard

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tisme
Newborn
Newborn

biting - 9 week old pup biting other dog hard Empty
PostSubject: 9 week old pup biting other dog hard   biting - 9 week old pup biting other dog hard EmptyTue Dec 12, 2017 6:08 pm

My puppy is still settling in. He seems to be getting on OK with my other dogs except one of them. My puppy is hell bent on biting him and it's hard. I've got marks on my hand from spitting them up. I'm trying the distraction and reward method with my puppy but he does not seem to take notice. Training my puppy so far has gone well and he's picking it up all accept the not to bite any advice on how to get him to leave other dogs. I appreciate it's not an over night thing and it will take time.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: 9 week old pup biting other dog hard   biting - 9 week old pup biting other dog hard EmptyTue Dec 12, 2017 6:23 pm

Since it's just one dog that he's nipping, I'm going to guess that they're probably the same age / size and he's asking to play.

Most older, adult dogs will tolerate puppy play for a while (It's called puppy license) before they tell the little brat to behave.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Tisme
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: 9 week old pup biting other dog hard   biting - 9 week old pup biting other dog hard EmptyWed Dec 13, 2017 2:36 pm

aljones wrote:
Since it's just one dog that he's nipping, I'm going to guess that they're probably the same age / size and he's asking to play.

Most older, adult dogs will tolerate puppy play for a while (It's called puppy license) before they tell the little brat to behave.
Yes your correct they are the same size. My pup wants to play but my other dog is 10 so he's not interested. He bumps him then starts biting pretty hard. I am trying to get my pup to leave him but he'd rather bite him.
Back to top Go down
Misty Mia Husky
Teenager
Teenager
Misty Mia Husky

Female Join date : 2017-09-19

PostSubject: Re: 9 week old pup biting other dog hard   biting - 9 week old pup biting other dog hard EmptyWed Dec 13, 2017 4:14 pm

What is it with Husky and Malamute pups that they seem to bite harder than pups from most other breeds? Storm, my Malamute, was just as bad when he was a puppy. He actually used to hide under furniture and ambush the other dog and our ankles when we passed by. I swear, we had sore ankles for at least two months. We did all of the intervention stuff, too, but what finally stopped him was that he got too big to fit under the furniture. Wink

Back to top Go down
Tisme
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: 9 week old pup biting other dog hard   biting - 9 week old pup biting other dog hard EmptyWed Dec 13, 2017 4:44 pm

His bite is pretty hard I know he's not dumb as he's going to the back door for the toilet and waiting for me to let him out. Nighttime he goes on a puppy pad at the back door. He's great with his other training up to now. Just won't leave when told but I expect he misses playing rough with his brothers and sisters.
Back to top Go down
Kmanweiss
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2016-09-01

PostSubject: Re: 9 week old pup biting other dog hard   biting - 9 week old pup biting other dog hard EmptyThu Dec 14, 2017 1:05 pm

Usually the other dog will stand up to the puppy and handle this for you. But if you have a particularly persistent pup, or the other dog just won't stand up for himself, then you need to do something.

I like to develop safe spaces for my pets. For instance, in the back yard, there is no playing on the deck or on the retaining wall. Any time the husky tried to engage my other dog in those areas, he would be reprimanded. Both dogs picked up on this very quickly. The older dog knows where he can go to be left alone, and the husky knows where he can play a little rougher. The unexpected part was that this training carried over to other yards also. If we take him to my brother's place or a friend's place with another dog, he won't engage on patios, decks, or rocks. But if the other dog steps into the grass...game on.
You could try to develop a safe space in certain areas of your house. If the older dog spends most of his time in the livingroom/kitchen area. Set that up as a safe space. Don't play with the dogs there (to avoid getting them riled up) and make sure they don't fight at all in that space.

Training a very strong stop command of some sort might be a good idea too. Teach it to all the dogs in your house so you can break up fights easier without having to reach in and risk getting bit yourself.
Back to top Go down
Tisme
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: 9 week old pup biting other dog hard   biting - 9 week old pup biting other dog hard EmptyFri Dec 15, 2017 5:58 am

The safe space is a good tip. My other dog has retaliated but my pup seem to think he's playing. I'm persisting. It's hard when they are so young as they are not mature enough to understand even after being told at least 100 times.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: 9 week old pup biting other dog hard   biting - 9 week old pup biting other dog hard EmptyFri Dec 15, 2017 3:22 pm

'kay, Tisme. It's time for an in-house leash. Your comment that you have bites on your hands indicate that you're using the old - but VERY unhealthy - tact of separating them by hand. It *might* work for now, but you're asking to really get bitten by the pup.

Get a short 3-4 foot leash and leave it on him so that you have a handle to use when you need to separate them.

You said that your older dog has retaliated - which is good - but I think it's not "retaliation" so much as the older dog telling your pup to "knock it off!" If the pup keeps it up, expect the correction to become more stern until the puppy gets the idea.

This, btw, is typical with a puppy who's been taken from his litter too early. Bite inhibition is normally taught by a puppy's pack (the other puppies.) When he doesn't learn it there, someone will have to (and another dog is the best teacher)

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Tisme
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: 9 week old pup biting other dog hard   biting - 9 week old pup biting other dog hard EmptySun Dec 17, 2017 5:30 pm

Hi,
I guess he does not know the bite inhibition, I got him at 8 weeks but they were separated at that point from their mum. He has stopped with me but I will continue to work on it with him and my other dog.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 9 week old pup biting other dog hard   biting - 9 week old pup biting other dog hard Empty

Back to top Go down

9 week old pup biting other dog hard

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1