It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Potty Traing for 4 and a half month puppy, Am i on the right track?!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Yanchik
Newborn
Newborn
Yanchik

Female Join date : 2017-12-01

Puppy - Potty Traing for 4 and a half month puppy, Am i on the right track?! Empty
PostSubject: Potty Traing for 4 and a half month puppy, Am i on the right track?!   Puppy - Potty Traing for 4 and a half month puppy, Am i on the right track?! EmptyMon Dec 18, 2017 3:41 pm

Hello,
I have 4 and a half month rescued husky cross. We rescued her when she was 7 weeks old.
I’m full time working therefore during a day she is closed in the room with an open crate, i give her chew toys, water and food. She learned to go on a training pads and i almost don't have spills on a carpet. But the issue comes when we on the weekends or in the evenings during weekdays we let her be in the living room when we can control her and we put a training pad inside the door exit just for any case if after we walked her out she wants to pee again she can go there.
And she is a smart girl she does go there but just SOMETIMES rather than most of the times and the rest it’s spills on the carpet.
We saying firmly ‘NO’ but while I move her to the training pad which is close but still not close enough I guess she is continuing to pee on carpet and by the time she is on pad nothing left to pee so I can’t praise and reward her. So I’m afraid she didn’t completely get the point that she needs to pee there all the time!  She sometimes whines besides the door and i know to let her out right away but that’s very rare. I can’t simply say ‘NO’ and take outside cause i live in Canada and it’s minus temperatures now, this is why I put a training pad besides the exit door.
I understand it’s a matter of time and we have her just for 2 and a half month, training and to be persistent and not to give up! And she is doing a great job already! I’m just wondering if I’m on the right track or maybe I’m doing something wrong that need to be done differently.
Maybe I should use dog bell training? Was someone successful with that?
I would love to hear your experiences and feedback!!!

Puppy - Potty Traing for 4 and a half month puppy, Am i on the right track?! MmYem6

Last edited by Yanchik on Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Puppy - Potty Traing for 4 and a half month puppy, Am i on the right track?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Potty Traing for 4 and a half month puppy, Am i on the right track?!   Puppy - Potty Traing for 4 and a half month puppy, Am i on the right track?! EmptyTue Dec 19, 2017 11:54 am

We generally advise against training pads in any capacity. They basically train a dog that it's okay to potty in the house and that is what she's doing. Training pads to some dogs don't seem any different than a rug or carpet so if her normal is being crated in a room with tile or laminate with a training pad to pee on she sees that she is to pee on the softer item. Then when she goes to the living room that has carpet then she's seeing a whole room that's soft just like the pad and misses her mark sometimes. If she is usually in a room with carpet then it could be excitement that is causing her to not take the proper time to make it to the pad. Make sure you are cleaning with a good enzyme spray every time she goes on the carpet or you will have ten times harder time stopping this. At 4.5 months old she should be able to hold her bladder for 4+ hours at a time, so if you were able to come home and let her out on lunch break or had someone you trust who could she should be able to go without training pads at all while you are at work and should be able to wait long enough for you to put your snow boots and coat on the rest of the time. I would start training to that door much harder. We have had some members do bell training successfully. It seems to me the trick is to make sure the dog isn't abusing it and just ringing the bell to have fun. Poke the bell, go out, reward for pottying outside. Bell has to be established that it means going outside and going outside has to be established as a good positive thing that gets her a reward.

Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Potty Traing for 4 and a half month puppy, Am i on the right track?!   Puppy - Potty Traing for 4 and a half month puppy, Am i on the right track?! EmptyTue Dec 19, 2017 2:29 pm

Along with what Jenn said, whenever you are home tether the pup to you, that way you can pick up on cues that she needs to potty and take her outside. Never leave the puppy unattended, tethering seems to be the easiest way for not having accidents, whilst you train her to go outside.
Back to top Go down
Yanchik
Newborn
Newborn
Yanchik

Female Join date : 2017-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Potty Traing for 4 and a half month puppy, Am i on the right track?!   Puppy - Potty Traing for 4 and a half month puppy, Am i on the right track?! EmptyTue Dec 19, 2017 4:09 pm

Thank you for your responses!
I'm 9 hours not home every day my neighbour walking her out between 11a.m-1p.m every day for 10 min. My house is mostly carpets the room when Lexie is Locked has carpet floors as well and she is doing good job to pee on pads. It's just she is missing it sometimes in the living room even though i spary it right after to get rid of the smell. maybe the rouitine of being upstairs and downstairs is a bit different and it's confusing her.
Jenn you've mentioned she should have enough time to wait till i'm back if someone walks her out during the day. When i'm coming home her 2 training pads are soaked with pee even though she went outside on lunch time. When i leave to work i do leave for her water cause i don't want her all day not to drink. Maybe i should give less water then?
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Potty Traing for 4 and a half month puppy, Am i on the right track?!   Puppy - Potty Traing for 4 and a half month puppy, Am i on the right track?! EmptyTue Dec 19, 2017 5:33 pm

How much water do you think she is drinking vs how much liquid do the puppy pads hold? Has she been checked for a UTI? She should be able to hold it if your neighbor is taking her out but with the pads around she has never had to so she isn't going to see the point in doing so. That's assuming she has no medical issues like a UTI that is messing with her perception of being able to hold it. Or something else going on that is making her drink excessive amounts of water.

PostSubject: Re: Potty Traing for 4 and a half month puppy, Am i on the right track?!   Puppy - Potty Traing for 4 and a half month puppy, Am i on the right track?! Empty

Back to top Go down

Potty Traing for 4 and a half month puppy, Am i on the right track?!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1