It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Switched to adult food, now my dog isn't eating

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
nicole.merideth
Newborn
Newborn
nicole.merideth

Female Join date : 2017-09-20

adult - Switched to adult food, now my dog isn't eating Empty
PostSubject: Switched to adult food, now my dog isn't eating   adult - Switched to adult food, now my dog isn't eating EmptyWed Dec 20, 2017 12:12 pm

My dog recently just turned one, and I switched him from Nature's Variety Instinct Raw Boost puppy to Orijen Six Fish, one cup in the morning and one at night. But... he won't eat it. I've tried putting raw toppers on his food, egg, peanut butter... but he won't eat it all, even if I do that. He will still leave a good majority of his food in the bowl.

He does have a mild case of kennel cough right now along with an eye issue, so he is on doxycycline and eye drops, but he has been on the medicine before and wanted to eat.

I'm very frustrated and want him to eat, especially since he is on medication right now and needs to have food in his stomach.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Orrr even suggestions for tried and true food that huskies who are picky eaters will eat?

Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
Kmanweiss
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2016-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Switched to adult food, now my dog isn't eating   adult - Switched to adult food, now my dog isn't eating EmptyWed Dec 20, 2017 12:20 pm

Well, Huskies can be picky, and are very stubborn. He may not like your new food choice and just be turning his nose up at it. However a dog typically won't starve himself. Give him food, give him time to eat, if he refuses, take the food away and keep trying. He'll eat eventually.

Did you transition the food? 3/4 cup old food with 1/4 cup new food for awhile, then half and half, then more new than old. This helps dogs get used to the change in food and flavor.

Does NV have a similar adult food that you can find? I tend to transition from puppy to adult formulas with the same company and flavor of food so that it's a milder transition.

You may need to just find another brand or flavor of food your dog will eat.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Switched to adult food, now my dog isn't eating   adult - Switched to adult food, now my dog isn't eating EmptyWed Dec 20, 2017 12:27 pm

NV does have an adult version of Raw Boost. I've seen it around here. You may search for it in your area.

How much do you think he is actually eating of the 2 cups you are offering and what does his daily exercise routine look like?

Newborn
Newborn
nicole.merideth

PostSubject: Re: Switched to adult food, now my dog isn't eating   adult - Switched to adult food, now my dog isn't eating EmptyWed Dec 20, 2017 12:43 pm

Kmanweiss, we have been doing that-- taking away the food if he isn't eating it. I really wish I had just stuck with NV and just switched to an adult version; now I have an almost full bag of $96 Orijen in my kitchen. But I think honestly trying to switch him back to NV might be the best. However, he had started turning his nose up at the NV puppy food right before we started switching to Orijen, and wouldn't eat it all. So I'm not 100% convinced it's because he doesn't like the new brand of food....

Twisterll, I think he might be eating around one cup a day, if that. He gets a 30 minute walk in the morning and either a 30 minute-hour walk at night, some days we jog as well, and some days he ends up getting a walk in the middle of the day as well.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Switched to adult food, now my dog isn't eating   adult - Switched to adult food, now my dog isn't eating EmptyWed Dec 20, 2017 2:55 pm

@Nicole what I've found with my three is:
Not all Huskies eat as much or as little as other Huskies.
All of them, it seems, like to take a few days off from eating.
All of them will push our buttons about food from time to time.

Avalanche, my biggest dog, eats maybe a cup a day - but he picks and chooses when. He's not quite free fed but Sky and he share a bowl and eat what they want when I put it down. I put out three cups once a day for two dogs and there's often food left over ...

Sasha, my oldest dog, gets a cup in the morning and one in the evening - and will eat anything she can find in between.

Rem might be one of those dogs who just doesn't want / need as much as other Huskies do. While one cup a day seems like too little, my two who share the one bowl don't eat much more than that.

Okay, one major caveat here - my dogs will eat what I buy them or they go hungry. It may seem harsh but I can't afford to let them pick and choose - I don't have the money to have a $96 bag of food setting around.

Pick a good quality dog food that you can afford, offer it to him and if he decides not to eat - well, as long as he's not extremely underweight, that's his problem. Obviously watch his health because not eating is often the first indicator that something is not right - but if he's in good health and decides he doesn't want to eat what you put down ... sorry 'bout that boy!

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Switched to adult food, now my dog isn't eating   adult - Switched to adult food, now my dog isn't eating EmptyWed Dec 20, 2017 4:03 pm

I agree with Al. At an hour to an hour and a half a day of exercise, he's really not burning that many calories and can likely sustain just fine on a cup a day. Heavy hiking days you might see him eat more. If he was eating nothing at all for days at a time then I would feel more pressed, but I think just keep at what you are doing. They can be frustrating and they will work you if you don't watch it. But as long as he is eating and not losing weight then I wouldn't worry too much. If you decide to swap back to NV before the end of this bag you may see if a local rescue would be interested in the rest of the bag of Orijen. Yeah, it is a chunk of change to swallow but at least it would be going to a good cause.

Some dogs will go off food at certain times of year also, so he might one day just suddenly start eating a normal amount. If he's unfixed (or even fixed sometimes) and a female in the area is in heat it does weird things to them that can manifest in different ways. My one male just gets nervous and stupid but some males will eat less or seem more restless and then when the female, wherever she may be, goes out of heat they go back to normal.

Newborn
Newborn
nicole.merideth

PostSubject: Re: Switched to adult food, now my dog isn't eating   adult - Switched to adult food, now my dog isn't eating EmptyWed Dec 20, 2017 6:26 pm

Okay, thank you both so much for your responses!

He does have the kennel cough and eye situation going on, so I think that might be part of the reason, as the vet said everything else about him looks great.

I'll definitely keep all of these things in mind!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Switched to adult food, now my dog isn't eating   adult - Switched to adult food, now my dog isn't eating Empty

Back to top Go down

Switched to adult food, now my dog isn't eating

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1