It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What are you feeding your Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
AuthorMessage
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 25 EmptySun May 18, 2014 12:53 am

We were in a pinch and had to get Diamond Naturals Whitefish and Sweet Potatoe? Yeah, I don't recommend it. The girls are always hungry and their poops, while still solid, are a lot squishier and smellier then they were when the girls were on TOTW.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 25 EmptySun May 18, 2014 10:51 am

Sheba&Kennedy wrote:
We were in a pinch and had to get Diamond Naturals Whitefish and Sweet Potatoe? Yeah, I don't recommend it. The girls are always hungry and their poops, while still solid, are a lot squishier and smellier then they were when the girls were on TOTW.

I started experiencing the same thing with Layla on Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete. We've had her on it since she came home with us at eight weeks and it's what her breeder feeds as well, but the past couple months it's made her poops much softer and lighter in color. I believe Diamond Naturals recently changed their formula to add more fruits and veggies, so that could be it. TOTW is also a Diamond product, so I find the difference between that and Naturals interesting.
Back to top Go down
LMS
Newborn
Newborn
LMS

Female Join date : 2014-05-10

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 25 EmptySun May 18, 2014 11:42 am

Thank you Kelsey, I appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
Frigga
Newborn
Newborn
Frigga

Female Join date : 2014-05-06

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 25 EmptySun May 18, 2014 7:59 pm

Our darling Frigga is feed Wellness Puppy formula. Which was better than the Pedigree adult dog that she was being fed. Her treats are Blue Buffalo Wild mix (I forget the exact name) Salmon Jerky; Duck Breast and Chicken breast.... Cow ears and smoked pig femurs. Also, when I am making dinner, I always trim the visable fat off of the meat, she has a new love of watermelon, strawberries (she keeps raiding my plants); and when I am prep'ing carrots, lettuce; basil; mint; squash to name a few. She gets that too.....Yes, I know....Frigga is SPOILED!!!
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 25 EmptyMon Sep 01, 2014 3:54 am

So we've been feeding TOTW Salmon flavor pretty exclusively, and now that we are towards the bottom of the bag, Kyzer has been getting loose poops and so had Sheba. Kennedy's poops seem off too, but not loose yet. It will be something to watch. I really want to switch back to Earthborn though. The pups seemed to do a lot better on it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Toadzca
Newborn
Newborn
Toadzca

Female Join date : 2014-09-01

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 25 EmptyMon Sep 01, 2014 1:35 pm

So glad I found is forum! I have been skimming through the threads and when I saw this one it answered so many questions!

Our 2 y/o boy always has a gurgle in his tummy at night, soft stools and runny eyes in the morning. I think it is the grain in his food so going out tomorrow morning to pick up a small bag of the Evo to try. My 6y/o girl has never had an issue however she has a steel stomach and nothing bothers her (she's a rescue so think she lived her first year eating whiter garbage she could scrounge) however she will not eat anything with fish in it! Go figure huh? I see a red meat formula in the evo so going to give that one a try. Hopefully it will help my big guy feel better.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 25 EmptyMon Sep 01, 2014 1:45 pm

Welcome to the forum Cindy! My girl avoids fish as well. She prefers no kibble, but when she does eat kibble we use TOTW either Bison and right now we are trying water fowl with not much success, may be her day to fast though, so I don't know.
Back to top Go down
Toadzca
Newborn
Newborn
Toadzca

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 25 EmptyMon Sep 01, 2014 2:23 pm

My girl will fast usually 2x a week but not my big boy! I have tried TOTW before but neither of them were very interested in it so thought I'd try the Evo red meat and see. Both my guys only eat once a day and even with that don't always empty their bowls but I know they aren't starving and will eat when they are hungry. My concern right now is for my boy and getting his system on track.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 25 EmptyMon Sep 01, 2014 2:34 pm

I have limited choices, and Miya doesn't do well with grain. I do feed partial raw or cooked meat in addition to kibble(she eats maybe a cup on a good day), otherwise like your boy gurgle tummy, loose stools. she is not found of TOTW, but she will eat it and tummy problems are way better. I would have to buy EVO online and I have to buy 5 pound bags, since she gets finicky with the bottom of the bag. There are 2 or 3 other choices for me but are a minimum of $5 more than TOTW.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 25 EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 1:14 am

I feed Kohdi and Mishka "Freedom" -Grain Free, from Blue. Both Kohdi and Mishka had runny poop on the food the breeder was feeding them, first day on Freedom, their poop was normal. They also seem to love it so I stayd with it. Mishka is still on the puppy formula.
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 25 EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 3:23 am

Loki and lexi have been primarily switched to Freshpet Select. They love it so much that I may have to stick with it though I try to mix in TOTW so that I do not have to brush teeth as much and to keep cost down.
Back to top Go down
Toadzca
Newborn
Newborn
Toadzca

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 25 EmptySat Sep 06, 2014 11:23 am

Ok so I went to pick up some Evo but I couldn't find any so brought home a small bag of TOTW to give a try.  Both dogs love the taste of it and the second morning after being on it, my boy did not have to make a run to poop at 4am.  Now after 5 straight days not only do we have a boy who no longer has a tummy that gurgles all night long but he is sleeping in and his eyes are not goopy  in the morning!  He already seems so much happier and content which makes me even happier I found this forum and especially this thread.  Guess it was the grain in his food after all!
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 25 EmptySat Sep 06, 2014 1:09 pm

Yes Cindy, Most huskies can't tolerate grain. This forum is great, so informative. Amazing that you switched cold turkey and end up better than before, most times you need to slowly transition or tummy upsets ensue. Glad TOTW worked. BTW my girl has discovered the water fowl flavor isn't so bad after all. So at least I can switch up with 2 flavors.
Back to top Go down
Toadzca
Newborn
Newborn
Toadzca

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 25 EmptySat Sep 06, 2014 1:24 pm

Thanks Renee.  I did see others transitioning when changing food but my guys have never had issues with food and eating different kinds which is part of the reason why it never occurred to me that the problems my boy was having was his food.  Our girl has a steel stomach and can eat anything without it ever effecting her.  We think it was due to her past life as she was a rescue living off whatever garbage she could find to eat.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 25 EmptySat Sep 06, 2014 1:40 pm

It's funny Cindy, read an article about dog breeds and how they have evolved over the last century, and a comment was made that huskies are the paleos of the dog world. Makes sense that most do better on meat based diets vs grain based.
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 25 EmptyMon Nov 24, 2014 11:34 am

Has anyone ever fed Nature's Select? The grain free version has 5 stars on dogfoodadvisor.com - http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/natures-select-grain-free/

We have a distributor in state and it is free shipping to your home. I was just curious since Mishka wasn't doing well on TOTW we switched back to Blue Buffalo Wilderness and his nose seems to be improving a bit more. They are sending me some samples to try so we shall see.

Karu4Link
Teenager
Teenager
Karu4Link

Female Join date : 2014-10-21

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 25 EmptyMon Nov 24, 2014 11:48 am

We have Gaia on Simply Nourish Grain Free/High Protein mix. It's the Petsmart store brand, but the ingredients look pretty good to me, and it has no grain or byproducts. It cleared up Gaia's poops pretty well. We tried TOTW Salmon flavor, but she didn't really like it.
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 25 EmptyMon Nov 24, 2014 11:55 am

My main problem isn't Mishka doing well tummy wise on food as he has an iron stomach and LOVES food of all types. It's his allergy to something around. I thought it was his food but I may still be wrong. I have no idea as I've been trying so many different things to try to eliminate the problem.

Karu4Link
Teenager
Teenager
Karu4Link

Female Join date : 2014-10-21

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 25 EmptyMon Nov 24, 2014 12:04 pm

We found out that Gaia has a bad reaction to the Zuke's grain free lamb and apple treats. ONLY those treats for whatever reason. She may have an intolerance to either lamb or apples lol. We also found that the Dentley's beef bones give her the runs. It seems to be only whatever "skin" or "flavoring" or whatever it is on the outside that's flaky and crunchy, and when that's gone, she is fine. So she may also have a beef intolerance. It's all been trial and error so far.
Back to top Go down
mssuchy
Teenager
Teenager
mssuchy

Male Join date : 2014-12-10

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 25 EmptySat Dec 13, 2014 1:13 pm

So after reading through this thread it seems like a lot of people feed their dogs TOTW. Our pup is only 10 weeks and he is on Diamond Naturals LB puppy formula, this is what he has been on since we got him. He only eats maybe 2 cups a day, sometimes less, I feel like he should be eating way more - the back of the bag says for his weight he should be eating 2.5-3 cups. Neutral

However I read several reviews online for the Diamond Naturals and a lot of the reviews freaked me out. Has anyone been directly affected by recalls? My cat is on Wellness which is also a Diamond Brand and he does fine, we've never been affected by recalls. So I was thinking about switching him to either TOTW or Wellness...
He is most likely going to be above average for the husky size. His mother was almost 60 pounds and his father 80 (he was a brute!). I'm a little unsure which decision to make on the switch Question I want to make sure he gets enough protein.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 25 EmptySat Dec 13, 2014 1:42 pm

I feed diamond naturals and haven't had any issues. If you are looking to leave the diamond product you will need to look into what brands they produce. I believe TOTW is still a diamond product. Wellness I don't believe is. The diamond company makes several brands.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/forums/topic/brands-of-dog-food-made-by-diamond/

As far as how much your puppy eats, if his weight is good then I wouldn't worry about it. Every dog is different and it's good for growing puppies to be a little light. Especially if he is potentially going to be extra large. Keeping excessive weight off his growing joints will help him develop smoother.

Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 25 EmptySat Dec 13, 2014 1:46 pm

It's not very well known but TOTW is also a Diamond brand. We started our girl as a pup on Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete, which is what the breeder feeds and recommended. She did well on it for several months and then developed loose stools, so we switched to TOTW. This was around the time that Diamond Naturals was changing its formula, so that could have been it. Now we feed TOTW High Prairie and her stools are fine. She's been incredibly picky lately about her food but I don't think it's related to TOTW. Both that and Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete are all-life-stages kibble, so you can feed it to a puppy as well as an adult. Both foods have high protein content (at least 30 percent) that is well suited for Siberians. I don't know the protein content of Diamond Naturals LB, but I suspect it's not as high as 30 percent.

Two cups for a 10-week-old puppy is a LOT. From what I recall we were only feeding one cup a day of the Extreme Athlete at that age. I believe Layla weighed around 12 pounds then. Now she is 36 pounds at 15 months, and for that weight TOTW recommends feeding 2 cups a day.

Remember that when transitioning to a new food you do it very gradually, mixing in the new food with the old food very slowly until you're feeding just the new food. It takes a couple weeks to do it with minimal stomach upset.
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 25 EmptySat Dec 13, 2014 1:48 pm

Haha, Jenn, I guess you beat me to the punch about TOTW also being a Diamond brand. Razz
Back to top Go down
mssuchy
Teenager
Teenager
mssuchy

Male Join date : 2014-12-10

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 25 EmptySat Dec 13, 2014 2:08 pm

Hmm it looks like Wellness is not a part of Diamond Brands but it used to buy from them but after their extensive recalls Wellness had a press release that they no longer associate with them. Diamond Brand has some law suits against them now, I think I may stray away from them. I'm glad to hear that him under eating the bags recommendations isn't a big deal, he is a great weight.

It seems like just about every pet food has had some kind of recall. I think I'll do some more research into Blue Buffalo, and a co-worker of mine recommended Nutro Natural Choice - has anyone tried this brand for their husky?
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 25 EmptySat Dec 13, 2014 2:50 pm

Was the Wellness update recent?????? I had thought that they were involved in the Diamond Lawsuit that happened earlier this year, received that info from dogfoodadvisor......do you have a website for me to check that out? To be honest few dog food manufacturers have had no recalls, the couple that come to mind is Fromm, Merrick, and Acana, Orijen (although I would have to double check those as well). Nutro was bought out recently (I do believe, Del Monte, perhaps, if memory serves me well), so do a good check on that one too....Many husky owners have had issues with Blue, causing loose stools, ymmv....Honestly find a food that he likes and does well on, and just be aware of recalls. Most huskies tend to eat less than what is recommended on the package(up to 25% less)...Good luck, Klaus is a handsome guy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 25 Empty

Back to top Go down

What are you feeding your Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 25 of 29Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next