It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

New husky for christmas

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jcarr77
Newborn
Newborn

husky - New husky for christmas Empty
PostSubject: New husky for christmas   husky - New husky for christmas EmptyWed Dec 27, 2017 10:39 pm

Hello everyone, I got a new husky for Christmas for our family, she's 6 months, got her from someone who didn't have enough time for her, my question is, she ate the first couple days, but the last 3 days she hasn't ate much, she drinks, I read that it takes time for them to acclimate to the new home, but when should I worry about her not eating
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: New husky for christmas   husky - New husky for christmas EmptyWed Dec 27, 2017 10:45 pm

Congratulations! And welcome to the forum Smile

If she ate the first few days, my first question would be how much are you feeding her? If it has been too much, she might just not be that hungry.

It is true that it can take a few days or so for a new pup to adjust to their new home, stress figures in too, and they may not eat, or may not eat very much the first few days...but knowing how much you are feeding her helps us help you better too. Same food as she was eating before you got her?

Back to top Go down
jcarr77
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: New husky for christmas   husky - New husky for christmas EmptyWed Dec 27, 2017 10:51 pm

Thanks for the reply, yeah same food as before, wanted to keep the same, but I did change it up, I always like to put canned food with it for my other dog, she ate it, loved it ate every bit lol, but kept the same brand and type, been giving her about a cup and a half, then noticed she wasn't eating, so I went to dry dog food, and that hasn't helped
Back to top Go down
jcarr77
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: New husky for christmas   husky - New husky for christmas EmptyWed Dec 27, 2017 11:41 pm

Should I be worried, or is this normal
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: New husky for christmas   husky - New husky for christmas EmptyWed Dec 27, 2017 11:55 pm

A cup and a half a day?
Back to top Go down
jcarr77
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: New husky for christmas   husky - New husky for christmas EmptyThu Dec 28, 2017 12:06 am

Twice a day but like I said she hasn't eaten in 3 days
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: New husky for christmas   husky - New husky for christmas EmptyThu Dec 28, 2017 12:17 am

That's a lot of food for a husky. Though canned food has a lot of water. I would try 3/4 to 1 cup dry food, no canned, twice a day. Leave the food down for 20 minutes, if not eaten, take it away until the next meal. Once she's starts readying regularly again, if she's acting ravenous, increase a tablespoon or two. At 6 months, she should be really lean so don't worry about skinny. They fill out closer to 2 but are still a lean dog.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: New husky for christmas   husky - New husky for christmas EmptyThu Dec 28, 2017 12:19 am

Mine were getting half a cup, three times a day as pups, I don't know if someone will disagree with me, if they do, I hope they post, but 3 cups a day is kinda a lot, I'm not sure I'd give any more than 2 cups a day total, broken up in about 3 servings per day. So it may be that she has been getting a little over fed.

As I mentioned before though, the transition to her new home with you may also be causing her not to eat. There is actually another thread in the latest topics list here that discusses it. I don't think I'd worry just yet, she's still drinking water, isn't lethargic or throwing up, so I think she's feeling ok. Have you tried hand feeding her? My little girl liked (still does!) to be hand fed, kibble by kibble. Are you feeding her treats at all?
Back to top Go down
Husky911
Puppy
Puppy
Husky911

Male Join date : 2017-03-30

PostSubject: Re: New husky for christmas   husky - New husky for christmas EmptyThu Dec 28, 2017 12:30 am

Hi jcarr77!

Like everybody else says here, 3 cups seems a bit excessive. But it depends what brand of food you're feeding and how big our husky is. Technically Orijen LB Puppy does suggest 3cups a day @44lbs.

Other than the not eating is your puppy experiencing any other symptoms? Lethargy? Constipation? Still peeing well? Losing weight? If she's still acting normal and full of energy I wouldn't be too concerned. Might just be a little sad that she lost her original owner.

Keep us updated!
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: New husky for christmas   husky - New husky for christmas EmptyThu Dec 28, 2017 12:51 am

Technically though, huskies are a medium size breed, so not sure if LB (large breed) puppy food is really suitable for a husky. Sure it can be fed to a Husky, just not sure it benefits the Husky.

Rarely, are the food amounts recommended, on the bag of food, insynch with the amount of food recommended for a Husky. Huskies always eat less than what is recommended on the bag of food.
Back to top Go down
Husky911
Puppy
Puppy
Husky911

PostSubject: Re: New husky for christmas   husky - New husky for christmas EmptyThu Dec 28, 2017 1:04 am

Artic_Wind wrote:
Technically though, huskies are a medium size breed, so not sure if LB (large breed) puppy food is really suitable for a husky. Sure it can be fed to a Husky, just not sure it benefits the Husky.

Rarely, are the food amounts recommended, on the bag of food, insynch with the amount of food recommended for a Husky. Huskies always eat less than what is recommended on the bag of food.

hahahaha, true enough Artic_Wind. It's debated on many forums. I looked into large breed food vs regular specifically for Orijen including e-mailing the company and the consensus I got from other people that fed Orijen was that they chose LB. Even the Orijen e-mailed back saying they recommend large breed for huskies. So I went with it.

Other than this sensitive stomach that has now forced me to now turn to RAW, Echo did very well on it. I hear the only difference is the calcium/phosphate ratios which ensure that they don't grow too fast, thereby putting stress on their developing joints. I must admit Echo did grow very proportionately throughout his growth spurt. He never had that skinny lanky phase that most huskies go through as pups. Whether or not this was directly related to LB puppy food vs his genetics I don't have enough scientific knowledge to say. But I was happy with him on it.
Back to top Go down
jcarr77
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: New husky for christmas   husky - New husky for christmas EmptyThu Dec 28, 2017 1:20 am

Thank's everyone, I'll keep yall posted
Back to top Go down
jcarr77
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: New husky for christmas   husky - New husky for christmas EmptyThu Dec 28, 2017 1:23 am

She is a trip, she's got a personality, she loves to growl at us when she's playing, and when we tell her no about something she'll growl at us, letting us know she isn't happy about it lol
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: New husky for christmas   husky - New husky for christmas EmptyThu Dec 28, 2017 9:02 pm

LOL, she sounds like she's really comfortable with you guys already! That's awesome! Get ready for even more personality as she fits herself into the mix Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: New husky for christmas   husky - New husky for christmas EmptyThu Dec 28, 2017 9:04 pm

Husky911 wrote:

Artic_Wind wrote:

hahahaha, true enough Artic_Wind.  It's debated on many forums.  I looked into large breed food vs regular specifically for Orijen including e-mailing the company and the consensus I got from other people that fed Orijen was that they chose LB.  Even the Orijen e-mailed back saying they recommend large breed for huskies.  So I went with it.

Other than this sensitive stomach that has now forced me to now turn to RAW, Echo did very well on it.  I hear the only difference is the calcium/phosphate ratios which ensure that they don't grow too fast, thereby putting stress on their developing joints.  I must admit Echo did grow very proportionately throughout his growth spurt.  He never had that skinny lanky phase that most huskies go through as pups.   Whether or not this was directly related to LB puppy food vs his genetics I don't have enough scientific knowledge to say.  But I was happy with him on it.  

BChan, did Orijen mention the why in recommending large breed puppy food to a Husky?
Back to top Go down
Husky911
Puppy
Puppy
Husky911

PostSubject: Re: New husky for christmas   husky - New husky for christmas EmptyFri Dec 29, 2017 4:00 am

Hey Artic_Wind!

This is what I got...

Quote :
We begin to classify a dog as being a large breed when they will reach 55lbs or greater at maturity. Your Siberian puppy may be close to this so I would choose the ORIJEN Large Breed Puppy formula. The ingredients in the two puppy formulas are very similar, but the calorie content and distribution vary considerably. When you have a large breed dog you want to be concerned with controlling their rate of growth. You do not want them to grow so fast that the bones and joints do not have the time necessary to develop correctly.

I would recommend that you start with the ORIJEN Large Breed Puppy formula until your puppy is at least a year old, and then you can move to the Adult formulas. While our formulas are all formulated to be appropriate for all life stages, the Large Breed Puppy formula focuses specifically on the needs of a Large Breed Puppy. The Large Breed Puppy has fewer calories and less of the calories come from fat and more from protein. This helps to control growth and support the development of lean muscle mass.

Our ORIJEN puppy formula is suitable for all breeds that will have an adult body weight of less than 55lbs. It is a high formula which supports the needs of smaller dogs where rapid growth is not a concern. Likewise ACANA small breed puppy formula is a high calorie/high energy formula that also matches this description.

Echo never hit 55lbs.  He seems to hover around 46 lbs now at a year...so take what you will from the e-mail Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: New husky for christmas   husky - New husky for christmas EmptyFri Dec 29, 2017 9:30 pm

Husky911 wrote:
Hey Artic_Wind!

This is what I got...

Quote :
We begin to classify a dog as being a large breed when they will reach 55lbs or greater at maturity. Your Siberian puppy may be close to this so I would choose the ORIJEN Large Breed Puppy formula. The ingredients in the two puppy formulas are very similar, but the calorie content and distribution vary considerably. When you have a large breed dog you want to be concerned with controlling their rate of growth. You do not want them to grow so fast that the bones and joints do not have the time necessary to develop correctly.

I would recommend that you start with the ORIJEN Large Breed Puppy formula until your puppy is at least a year old, and then you can move to the Adult formulas. While our formulas are all formulated to be appropriate for all life stages, the Large Breed Puppy formula focuses specifically on the needs of a Large Breed Puppy. The Large Breed Puppy has fewer calories and less of the calories come from fat and more from protein. This helps to control growth and support the development of lean muscle mass.

Our ORIJEN puppy formula is suitable for all breeds that will have an adult body weight of less than 55lbs. It is a high formula which supports the needs of smaller dogs where rapid growth is not a concern. Likewise ACANA small breed puppy formula is a high calorie/high energy formula that also matches this description.

Echo never hit 55lbs.  He seems to hover around 46 lbs now at a year...so take what you will from the e-mail Rolling Eyes

Thank you so much BChan! I appreciate you posting this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New husky for christmas   husky - New husky for christmas Empty

Back to top Go down

New husky for christmas

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1