It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

"Stupid Husky!"*

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Misty Mia Husky
Teenager
Teenager
Misty Mia Husky

Female Join date : 2017-09-19

husky - "Stupid Husky!"* Empty
PostSubject: "Stupid Husky!"*   husky - "Stupid Husky!"* EmptyTue Jan 09, 2018 1:15 pm

*Definition: Stupid Husky -- A highly intelligent dog that makes spectacularly bad decisions.

Like me, my brother has a great love for Spitz/Nordic dog breeds and some experience living with them.  He's very fond of Misty, but she's also his first hands-on experience with a Siberian Husky; so he's been doing online research on the breed.  He visited over the weekend, and upon walking into the house and greeting Misty he said, "Y'know, it seems like every 'Stupid Dog' video online is about a Husky."

We pulled up some dog videos, and it did appear like he was right: Over half of the videos we found titled "Stupid Dog" contained a Husky.  There also seemed to be a disproportionately large number of "Stupid Husky" videos compared to other dog breeds.

I know all too well that Huskies (and other Spitz/Nordic dogs) have a bad rep from trainers for being "stupid," or at least hard to train. I've always dismissed this attitude as being based on a lack of understanding of the breeds. Many trainers seem to hate them primarily because, for the most part, they are not eager to please. However, is a dog that looks at you with, “Why?” or “What’s in it for me?” or "Nah, I'd rather do this," really less intelligent than a dog that lives for your every command?

So, why the overabundance of "Stupid Husky" videos and stories? Well, first of all, the Siberian Husky is a very numerous and popular breed worldwide -- THE most popular of all Spitz/Nordic breeds.  If Norwegian Lundehunds or Hokkaido Inus were as numerous and popular as Huskies, we'd probably see a ton of "Stupid Lundehund" or "Stupid Hokkaido Inu" videos online, too.

Second of all, Spitz/Nordic dogs -- so-called primitive breeds -- are stubborn, independent, and PROBLEM-SOLVING intelligent in many cases. They're also fearless. These breeds were developed in areas and conditions where being independent, stubborn, problem-solving, and fearless was a matter of survival. A Husky can survive in situations where many other dog breeds can't, because a Husky doesn't naturally look to humans to tell it what to do -- which frustrates humans to no end ("Stupid Husky!"). Most Huskies naturally try to work things out on their own, and they're very good at it.

Of course, that's kind of hard to believe when you're watching a Husky trying to cram herself into a too-small desk drawer because something inside it smells interesting. Yep, Misty got stuck sideways in a drawer and we had to help her out.

As my husband observed, "Huskies are smart enough to make spectacularly bad decisions."

So, I've lived with Misty for four months now. She's come a long way from being a very boisterous, pushy, half-crazed shelter dog. Now she's a boisterous, pushy, half-crazed family dog.  I've mentioned before that Misty is by far the funniest dog I've ever had. (For one thing, I've never before had a dog that gleefully and repeatedly smacked herself in the head with a rope toy.) I've lived with several Spitz/Nordic breeds, and they were all very funny (and infuriating) in their own way, but Misty has 'em all beat. She is a complete loon.

I'm not sure Misty is the smartest dog I've ever had -- and there have been times I've called her a "Stupid Husky" out of sheer frustration -- but she's certainly no dummy. She notices everything and is curious about EVERYTHING. Misty is also the only dog I've ever had that constantly looks UP in addition to down and around. She never misses anything.  I think that's what gets her into trouble.  Also, typical of all Spitz/Nordic breeds, when she wants something, she REALLY wants it -- To blazes with consequences!  (Hence getting stuck in the desk drawer.)

I admit, a Siberian Husky was never on my list of “to-have” dog breeds -- My daughter wanted a Husky, but I was indifferent to them. My attitude was, I’ve already lived with a big ol’ Malamute, so how much different could a Husky be?  The answer, or so I’ve learned, and without going into a lot of detail, is that they are PLENTY different. I may not have wanted a "Stupid Husky," but I'm happy we have Misty.
Back to top Go down
Mersea Lopez
Teenager
Teenager
Mersea Lopez

Female Join date : 2017-11-09

PostSubject: Re: "Stupid Husky!"*   husky - "Stupid Husky!"* EmptyTue Jan 09, 2018 2:09 pm

Funny observations, Faye! Misty sounds wonderful and laughter is good medicine.

After growing up with Norwegian Elkhounds, I was ready for stubborn. Obedience school taught me more than it taught my childhood companion.

But Huskies are graceful, agile, driven, intelligent goofballs, to be sure. I'm always rooting for my bouncing big boy, and I realize he's only putting up with this indoors life because our fence is sufficient. Haha

I guess since I'm his mom, he's trying to be tame for me.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: "Stupid Husky!"*   husky - "Stupid Husky!"* EmptyTue Jan 09, 2018 5:19 pm

We are called "It's a Husky Thing" for a reason. There are just things they do that can be explained no other way. I can't count how many times I have heard my husband say stupid dog usually over her being stubborn and not listening to him on something. Having two I get to see both sides of what the breed can be. Kenzi is graceful and majestic and chocked full of attitude. Kye is goofy and clutzy and not terribly smart but lovable and dense.

Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: "Stupid Husky!"*   husky - "Stupid Husky!"* EmptyTue Jan 09, 2018 9:04 pm

I've had Huskies my entire life (and one Malamute) "stupid" is a word that doesn't even enter my mind when it comes to this breed.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: "Stupid Husky!"*   husky - "Stupid Husky!"* EmptyTue Jan 09, 2018 9:09 pm

<< Laughing at Misty >> My phrase for my Alsakan is my idiot puppy (at 7+ years old!!)

@artic_wind - would you settle for "foolish"

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Misty Mia Husky
Teenager
Teenager
Misty Mia Husky

PostSubject: Re: "Stupid Husky!"*   husky - "Stupid Husky!"* EmptyWed Jan 10, 2018 11:22 am

>>After growing up with Norwegian Elkhounds, I was ready for stubborn. Obedience school taught me more than it taught my childhood companion.<<

Yeah, I was totally ready for stubbornness, independence, destructiveness, and just basically a big hairy dog being a jerk. I was not anticipating the experience that is MISTY. Wink

>>Kye is goofy and clutzy and not terribly smart but lovable and dense.<<

Kye sounds like Misty. She's definitely goofy. I've been calling her Ding-Dog (instead of ding-dong).

Chris, you might find this interesting. Years ago at a dog show in Finland, while I was standing next to a crusty old guy who appeared to just be there to watch the dogs, he pointed at a Norwegian Elkhound and said, very seriously, "The only thing that dog fears is his master." Considering at least half the dogs at that dog show were working dogs, I think I know what he meant -- Any dog that can face down an Elk/Moose has to be an extremely brave dog. Or at the very least have no sense of self-preservation. Wink

Back to top Go down
Mersea Lopez
Teenager
Teenager
Mersea Lopez

Female Join date : 2017-11-09

PostSubject: Re: "Stupid Husky!"*   husky - "Stupid Husky!"* EmptyWed Jan 10, 2018 11:39 am

Misty Mia Husky wrote:

Chris, you might find this interesting.  Years ago at a dog show in Finland, while I was standing next to a crusty old guy who appeared to just be there to watch the dogs, he pointed at a Norwegian Elkhound and said, very seriously, "The only thing that dog fears is his master."  Considering at least half the dogs at that dog show were working dogs, I think I know what he meant -- Any dog that can face down an Elk/Moose has to be an extremely brave dog. Or at the very least have no sense of self-preservation.   Wink

My last Norwegian Elkhound yelped and rolled over to expose her belly the first time I out a leash on her. While the breeder chose a submissive puppy for a family with children, she was still very brave.

The only thing she freaked out about was a hot air balloon flying over the house, which was a common occurrence. She ran around the perimeter barking as if protecting her family's property.

She would wander over a couple of streets in the suburbs when she escaped and wait for us to drive around and pick her up. Nothing phasesd her. She loved building snow forts with us in winter, and snow was her favorite thing. I wish I'd taken her hiking more, but she was up for anything as long as we were together. You could trip over her in the middle of the night (read the alpha blocking the hallway behavior) and she would just sort of "oof".
Back to top Go down
Rocky_Rhodes
Puppy
Puppy
Rocky_Rhodes

Male Join date : 2017-11-17

PostSubject: Re: "Stupid Husky!"*   husky - "Stupid Husky!"* EmptyWed Jan 10, 2018 1:10 pm

I love watching Sasha; she is experiencing so many things for the first time in her life, and drinking in every moment. Last night she scored a "pair of socks", and knowing that they are one of the may forbidden fruits, I watched her, as she worked out the prime hiding place for them in order to preserve them for later, and protect them from the other dogs being able to get at them.

Much like watching those people who continually push limits of what is achievable to the extreme, Huskies are the same breed of adventure seekers, and it's our responsibility to fill that need. They can become destructive when we don't provide them with the environment, and stimulation that they crave.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: "Stupid Husky!"*   husky - "Stupid Husky!"* EmptyWed Jan 10, 2018 1:53 pm

Watch out for socks...other members here have had dogs eat various things. I gather helping your dog poop out some panties is an experience few would relish. And one dog died after surgery to remove blockage from swallowed rope toy.
Back to top Go down
Rocky_Rhodes
Puppy
Puppy
Rocky_Rhodes

Male Join date : 2017-11-17

PostSubject: Re: "Stupid Husky!"*   husky - "Stupid Husky!"* EmptyWed Jan 10, 2018 2:12 pm

Funny enough we had a dog once that ate my mother-in-laws pantyhose; fortunately, for him and us, he was able to pass them through his system. We didn't discover that he ate them until he came in from the back yard with a trail hanging out his backside. Grabbed them with a rubber glove causing him to panic and run thereby pulling them out. Disgusting, but very funny too.

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: "Stupid Husky!"*   husky - "Stupid Husky!"* EmptyWed Jan 10, 2018 2:17 pm

Rocky_Rhodes wrote:
Funny enough we had a dog once that ate my mother-in-laws pantyhose; fortunately, for him and us, he was able to pass them through his system.  We didn't discover that he ate them until he came in from the back yard with a trail hanging out his backside.  Grabbed them with a rubber glove causing him to panic and run thereby pulling them out.  Disgusting, but very funny too.

That's exactly what I'm talking about lol! But it becomes terribly un-funny when it ends in tragedy. Good luck with your pup.
Back to top Go down
Misty Mia Husky
Teenager
Teenager
Misty Mia Husky

PostSubject: Re: "Stupid Husky!"*   husky - "Stupid Husky!"* EmptyWed Jan 10, 2018 2:24 pm

My old Malamute once ate a gold necklace.  Similar situation -- We had no idea what had happened to the necklace until we saw it, um, hanging out of Storm's butt.  Ewww.

My American Eskimo Dog was terrible. Max swallowed everything: Chess pieces, Lego blocks, plastic wrappers, you name it.  It was a constant battle to keep things out of his reach.  It's amazing he didn't die of an intestinal blockage.  Cleaning up the poo in the back yard was always an adventure: "Oh, THAT's what happened to that toothpaste cap!"
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: "Stupid Husky!"*   husky - "Stupid Husky!"* EmptyWed Jan 10, 2018 4:35 pm

I don't know why, but I have experienced a direct and opposite correlation between a dog's Independence vs their Ditzyness. (Is ditzness a word? If not, it is now...ha ha).

Dogs that are very independent (e.g. Journey) also tend to be very smart. Journey can open doors, is able to solve puzzles rather quickly, and is quick to understand what you are trying to say (although whether she chooses to obey you is dependent on her mood...She KNOWS what you are telling her to do, she just doesn't want to... you can see the level of understanding and dismissal in her body language). Bjorn, on the other hand, is very eager to please (for a sibe). If I call him he immediately comes over, he wants to cuddle all the time, loves being near his people....BUT he can be pretty oblivious to the world around him. He accidentally runs into things (his eyesight is fine), he doesn't solve puzzles easily, it takes him time to figure out what you want, gets leashes tangled, etc.

I could say the same for humans as well I suppose.... ha ha
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Stupid Husky!"*   husky - "Stupid Husky!"* Empty

Back to top Go down

"Stupid Husky!"*

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1