It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Best Seat Belt & harness

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

Best Seat Belt & harness Empty
PostSubject: Best Seat Belt & harness   Best Seat Belt & harness EmptyWed Jan 10, 2018 4:24 pm

Hi everyone,

So I was reading a few of the earlier topics on harness and saw that a lot of people like the Ruffwear harnesses. I currently have a Kurgo Journey harness (for Journey, ha ha, get it? It might be a big part of why I bought it....) It is easy to get on and off her, but she has slipped out of it before. Luckily we were at the vet's office and she just went for a run down the hallway to meet all the other staff members... but that made me think I should maybe invest in a better harness.

I mostly use the harness for car rides as a safety restraint. I used to use it for walks but after that incident I have been a bit leery... I know nothing is fail-proof, but I have nightmares about my sibes getting loose, or getting in a car wreck and the harness not protecting my fur kids.

As far as I have found not many harnesses & accompanying seat belt systems are crash-tested like seat belts for humans are. Has anyone found anything that has been tested to save a dogs life in the even of a collision? I know some people travel with their dogs in crates... but without the crate being affixed to the car wouldn't they just go flying in a rollover crash? Not to mention that it is impossible to keep the sibes from squirming in all sorts of positions.... and I'm sure that, like the safety belts in cars for humans, if they are not worn as-designed it can actually cause more damage than protect.

Does anyone have any solid recommendations for harnesses or safety restraints in cars? Are there harnesses that you like as both a running harness & a safety restraint or do you have two separate pieces for cars vs running?

Side note: They won't be pulling anything with this harness.
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Best Seat Belt & harness   Best Seat Belt & harness EmptyWed Jan 10, 2018 6:12 pm

Like you, Nicole, I am using a Kurgo Journey harness.
Bodhi can't get out of it.
But sometimes I have difficulty getting HIM out of it when we get somewhere and he wants out of the truck.

I initially just 'binered his running harness to a seat belt.

Then I bought a Sleepypod harness, but he could get out of it.
I would arrive somewhere and he would be roaming around the back seat.
That was an expensive mistake.
I ratcheted down the adjustable buckles so far that it was uncomfortable for him, but no dice.
I had my wife drive so I could watch how he got out, by pulling backwards.
They are clever devils, our huskies!
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Best Seat Belt & harness   Best Seat Belt & harness EmptyWed Jan 10, 2018 8:36 pm

I have a kurgo harness for travel only. If you're afraid of him getting loose, attach a carabiners or connector between the front clip on the harness and a Martingale collar. That way, if he gets out of the harness, you are still attached.

http://www.leashesbydesign.com/ProngCollars/ProngCollarConnector/ProngCollarConnector.html
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Best Seat Belt & harness   Best Seat Belt & harness EmptyWed Jan 10, 2018 9:32 pm

Oh, that's an idea. Thank you Amy!
Back to top Go down
LittleHouse
Puppy
Puppy
LittleHouse

Male Join date : 2013-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Best Seat Belt & harness   Best Seat Belt & harness EmptyThu Feb 22, 2018 9:29 pm

I have the Sleepypod Terrain for both of my pups. They hate it because they can't run around like crazy, but they are safe.... I don't see how they would get out of it if it's on correctly.
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Best Seat Belt & harness   Best Seat Belt & harness EmptyThu Feb 22, 2018 10:17 pm

I don't know how he gets out of the Sleepypod either.
I took it back to the store where I got it and they helped me adjust it.
But he still got out by pulling backward...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Seat Belt & harness   Best Seat Belt & harness Empty

Back to top Go down

Best Seat Belt & harness

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1