It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Long Line when HIking in Woods?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
R_shepsky
Puppy
Puppy
R_shepsky

Long Line when HIking in Woods? Empty
PostSubject: Long Line when HIking in Woods?   Long Line when HIking in Woods? EmptyThu Jan 11, 2018 12:19 pm

Hi!

We are the new owners (4 months in) of a rescue Shepsky. I often take him on hikes in the woods and many people have their dogs offleash. It seems so fun for the dogs to have freedom to explore, so I was thinking about using a long line for Rumo...

But wouldn't the line get tangled around a tree or stuck in the underbrush? Our woods are dense and the trees are close together. Does anybody use a long line in the woods? Or is that only practical if you are in an open field?

If I do buy a long line, should I get a 25' dog-training lead, or a "horse lunge line"? What is best for huskies?

Thank You for any thoughts!
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Long Line when HIking in Woods?   Long Line when HIking in Woods? EmptyThu Jan 11, 2018 12:28 pm

One of my dogs does fine on a long line in the woods but she doesn't really stray from the trail. My other dog is excitable and runs everywhere and getting tangled in the trees is an issue. The longer the line the more trouble you can have. I don't do more than 10 or 12 foot flat line. For me a lot just depends on the dog.

Puppy
Puppy
R_shepsky

PostSubject: Re: Long Line when HIking in Woods?   Long Line when HIking in Woods? EmptyThu Jan 11, 2018 1:25 pm

Aw, your white husky looks so much like Rumo!  :-)

Thanks, yes, 10 or 12' length seems like it would be better for getting tangled!

Do you ever let them trail the line?

I was thinking that I might drop the line briefly on some of the steep downhills...am always afraid that he'll pull me off-balance and I'll twist an ankle and be stuck 2 miles out in the woods with a twisted ankle... (ack, knock on wood). I've taught him not to pull, but we don't always handle roots & rocks at the same pace...he is a lot more balanced and hesitates less  (compared to his wobbly 2-legged human.)!
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Long Line when HIking in Woods?   Long Line when HIking in Woods? EmptyThu Jan 11, 2018 2:59 pm

I tried long lines hiking in eastern woods.  Bamp!  Wrong answer.  Tangeled in everything.  Plus, the added length to the, so to speak, fulcrum, gives quite the mechanical advantage when bolting after critters.

As for twisting ankles etc in rocky, rooted, rutted, hilly terrain...I use the traffic lead part of Ami's leash, keep him on heel and use "easy"  He's picked that up quite nicely to the point that when we're in rough terrain and he's on short lead, he actively stabilizes me by moving close against my thigh when he feels my off-balance.  If he doesn't intuitively pick that up, you can always train him to do so.  Ami is a big boy and I am short (and old) so I don't have to lean over much to rest my hand on his withers.

Another option for you would be ecollar training.  Then he could drag a leash (for those areas that are "leash only" by regulation and you would have back up control with the ecollar.
Back to top Go down
R_shepsky
Puppy
Puppy
R_shepsky

PostSubject: Re: Long Line when HIking in Woods?   Long Line when HIking in Woods? EmptyThu Jan 11, 2018 6:25 pm

amymeme wrote:
I tried long lines hiking in eastern woods.  Bamp!  Wrong answer.  Tangeled in everything.  Plus, the added length to the, so to speak, fulcrum, gives quite the mechanical advantage when bolting after critters.

Yes that is what I imagined it might be like ... yep, these are hilly Eastern USA woods where you can't even see through the trees (North Carolina) so I will abandon the idea of a long line ... not practical for our dense hilly woods!

Sigh, trailing the line is probably not good - if he takes off after a deer, I realize there's no way I could run through the underbrush as fast as him, which means I'd lose him unless I fall onto the line and catch it right away...

He is part shepherd so maybe ecollar training could work someday.
So far, his recall is excellent (er, when I am waving a piece of rotisserie chicken  Laughing  )
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Long Line when HIking in Woods?   Long Line when HIking in Woods? EmptyThu Jan 11, 2018 7:50 pm

Hiking I use a ten foot lead tied to a belt on one end and to Bodhi's harness on the other.
It works most of the time because he "explores" forward.

At the beach or in an open field, I use a 30 ft. lead so he gets more freedom.

Bodhi is my third husky.
I've learned my lesson from the first two.
He is never off lead.
Back to top Go down
Nonnahikes
Newborn
Newborn
Nonnahikes

Female Join date : 2018-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Long Line when HIking in Woods?   Long Line when HIking in Woods? EmptyTue Mar 20, 2018 10:40 am

I was wondering this too as I am starting to take Enzo on small hikes. I've used the training lead to give him room to roam and imagine I'll do similarly at the beach. I wish he could be leash free, but I dont think Huskies are good candidates. Does anyone have a positive experience with their huskies being Leash Free?
Back to top Go down
http://www.nonnahikes.com
Kmanweiss
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2016-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Long Line when HIking in Woods?   Long Line when HIking in Woods? EmptyWed Mar 21, 2018 11:55 am

I'm going to start by saying that I would strongly recommend not going leash free for a husky. They are a tough breed to do leash free.

However, it is possible with lots of training and work.

During the first year with our husky, we did a lot of recall training to get him to listen to us. After he turned a year old, we started working with an e-collar. We trained him to return to us with the beep (same could be done with clicker training, however if he gets too far, he might not hear the clicks, where the collar stays with him).
When I'm shoveling or working in the yard, he'll be outside. I have to keep an eye on him and call him back or beep him if he goes too far. We have some great walking areas that are fairly remote, and we go leash free there. He runs around and chases stuff while exploring the woods. We just keep him in sight and if he gets too far, we beep him back. If he comes across another person or dog, he comes back to us without command now and sits and waits for them to pass.

Again, this took a LOT of work. We still bring a leash in case he's being naughty. We only do this in isolated areas away from traffic. We did a LOT of training. We also had the benefit of an older dog that was very obedient (non-husky) that acted as a good role model (he never needs a leash or even an e-collar). I also would not expect it to work with all Huskies. I doubt that my wife and I could make this work with every husky as their personalities can very greatly.

So, it's possible, with a lot of work, and if the dog has the right personality for it.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Long Line when HIking in Woods?   Long Line when HIking in Woods? EmptyWed Mar 21, 2018 12:02 pm

The other thing about long lines and off leash in the woods...poisonous snakes. In my experience, huskies like to pounce first and ask questions later. Not a good thing in an area with poisonous snakes.
Back to top Go down
sarandjar
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Long Line when HIking in Woods?   Long Line when HIking in Woods? EmptySat Feb 02, 2019 8:14 pm

Nonnahikes wrote:
I was wondering this too as I am starting to take Enzo on small hikes. I've used the training lead to give him room to roam and imagine I'll do similarly at the beach. I wish he could be leash free, but I dont think Huskies are good candidates. Does anyone have a positive experience with their huskies being Leash Free?

We have an off leash husky! Smile we worked with a trainer to help improve her impulse control and prey drive and then incorperated ecollar training! it DEFINITELY can be done especially if you start at a young age! Best of luck!
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Long Line when HIking in Woods?   Long Line when HIking in Woods? EmptySat Feb 02, 2019 8:23 pm

Let me put a slightly different perspective on this ... My first Husky was great - I loved that little girl (literally) to death.

She wanted the freedom to run and roam and the great thing was that when I called she always came home (sometimes it took a while depending on where she was)

... until one time she didn't.

I have one I trust off lead now and only when I'm outside with her because she's gotten old enough that she's comfortable staying close.  My other two are on lead (or in the house) 24/7

She's your dog, love her to death ... if you're willing to take that chance.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Long Line when HIking in Woods?   Long Line when HIking in Woods? EmptySun Feb 03, 2019 12:29 am

I will let squirt off lead way in the national forest. I used to let her and my shepherd run loose when the closest anything was 17 miles away. I also never kept her on a leash or a lead when i went riding. But in most circumstances i wouldnt even think about it. But none of my dogs will go very far alone as a group is another story
Back to top Go down
Lycan1
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Long Line when HIking in Woods?   Long Line when HIking in Woods? EmptyMon Feb 25, 2019 7:19 pm

I use a long leash for walks and just lasso in. I have a 50ft leash. He sticks mainly to the trail. I would never let him off leash as there is too much wildlife and he'd be off after it.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Long Line when HIking in Woods?   Long Line when HIking in Woods? EmptyThu Feb 28, 2019 4:07 pm

Long Line when HIking in Woods? P2160010
i think our lines are 10' with a bungee close to the body to prevent the sudden jerking, attached to a hiking belt. we have a "traffic" loop halfway to pull them in closer for passing people. worst is when i have them both attached to me and they go between the tree!!!! but we get it figured out.

Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Long Line when HIking in Woods?   Long Line when HIking in Woods? EmptyThu Feb 28, 2019 5:35 pm

I brought a 20' long line on the last hike Max and I did.  Wouldn't use it on the trail, but was nice when we stopped to let him explore but still be attached to me.
Back to top Go down
Lycan1
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Long Line when HIking in Woods?   Long Line when HIking in Woods? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2019 12:31 pm

I walk my dog on a 50ft long line. I attach a bungee to the end so if he does run it does not jerk my back. I've taught him "back" which if he goes through trees he comes back the same way he went in. I walk him in woodland twice a day.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Long Line when HIking in Woods?   Long Line when HIking in Woods? Empty

Back to top Go down

Long Line when HIking in Woods?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1