It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Luna is making Hacking sounds

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kelc
Newborn
Newborn
kelc

Female Join date : 2018-01-07

Luna is making Hacking sounds Empty
PostSubject: Luna is making Hacking sounds   Luna is making Hacking sounds EmptyTue Feb 13, 2018 2:27 am

I have noticed Luna making a hacking type sound occasionally during the day. It usually occurs after or during drinking water. At first I thought maybe she just was drinking too fast and upset her belly.  But today I noted her to actually hack up some mucous (i'm assuming thats what it was). it was clear fluid. She has also made the noise around times when she is eating or has gotten a treat.

I am trying to determine if it seems more from the belly or more of a respiratory thing. She is not "coughing" from what I can tell. It is usually a singular noise. Sort of like the end sound of a cat hacking up a hairball. (sorry for the graphic comparison lol). She does not seem bothered at all afterwards, she continues doing whatever it was she was doing before. She is not pawing at her nose, and otherwise seems fine.

Anyone have any similar experiences? I am wondering if maybe it is allergy related, or if she just scarfs the food and water too fast.
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Luna is making Hacking sounds   Luna is making Hacking sounds EmptyTue Feb 13, 2018 2:52 am

Mishka hacks after she drinks water pretty often, my past husky boy used to as well, when drinking water. Both had/have a not so normal way of drinking though. They both kinda like, dunk their face in the water and scoop it up. Not ALL the time, but most of the time.

The mucous stuff, is that only after drinking water? I can kinda see what you mean by mucous if it's after drinking water, but if it's at other times as well, then I'm not sure.
Back to top Go down
Misty Mia Husky
Teenager
Teenager
Misty Mia Husky

Female Join date : 2017-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Luna is making Hacking sounds   Luna is making Hacking sounds EmptyTue Feb 13, 2018 11:22 am

That sounds similar to what we just went through with Misty -- and she was acting just fine otherwise, in spite of the gagging and hacking. In her case, she started off with diarrhea, and the gagging/hacking began after we put her on probiotics and pumpkin to cure her diarrhea.

At first, we also weren't sure if it was her stomach or her breathing (Kennel cough? Reverse sneezing?). It DID turn out to be her stomach, though. After running a bunch of tests that all came up negative for various ailments, the vet suspected food intolerance that had probably built up over time -- which kinda made sense because Misty had been on her then-dog food for only a month. The vet had us give her a stomach medication and then we ended up having to transition her dog food to a low-ingredient food. She hasn't gagged/hacked since and she's still acting fine.
Back to top Go down
CloverField
Puppy
Puppy
CloverField

Female Join date : 2017-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Luna is making Hacking sounds   Luna is making Hacking sounds EmptyTue Feb 13, 2018 11:43 am

Tetra hacks up water pretty much every time she drinks as well. I've been told that putting ice cubes in the bowl to help them slow down their drinking helps, but Tetra just plays with the ice in the water and makes a mess. I'm pretty sure it's just from drinking too much too fast and it goes down the wrong tube. My pup has been doing it since the first couple days we had her and has only actually hacked up something a couple times from what I've noticed. It's usually just water, which she laps up after it comes back up anyways.
Back to top Go down
Nicole Raslich
Newborn
Newborn
Nicole Raslich

Female Join date : 2016-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Luna is making Hacking sounds   Luna is making Hacking sounds EmptyTue Feb 13, 2018 3:42 pm

All 3 of my huskies hack up a little water every time they drink. Sometimes its just water and sometimes it has a little mucus in it. We've never found anything wrong, it's just something we have to clean up and it happens more the faster they drink.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Luna is making Hacking sounds   Luna is making Hacking sounds EmptyTue Feb 13, 2018 9:12 pm

Ami does that after drinking...we chalk it up to aspirating.
Back to top Go down
Mersea Lopez
Teenager
Teenager
Mersea Lopez

Female Join date : 2017-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Luna is making Hacking sounds   Luna is making Hacking sounds EmptyWed Feb 14, 2018 11:14 am

Sophia hacks after drinking. We joke, "did it have a bone in it?" like you say to a child who drinks too fast. But Sophia is a shark. She has to be forced to slow down, eating and drinking. She attacks her water and isn't satisfied until she's forced her nose to the bottom of the bowl (she's a bubble blower) and scraped out all she didn't drink. To think I teased Grant for stepping in his water, calling him Ole Soggy Paw. This girl is a maniac!
Back to top Go down
kelc
Newborn
Newborn
kelc

Female Join date : 2018-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Luna is making Hacking sounds   Luna is making Hacking sounds EmptyMon Feb 26, 2018 2:51 am

Great to hear that many huskies have this similar behavior!! She is a gulper for sure, and if she fonds a deep bowl she will stick her entire face, up to her ears into the bowl! Crazy girl!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Luna is making Hacking sounds   Luna is making Hacking sounds Empty

Back to top Go down

Luna is making Hacking sounds

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1