It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Bohdi is 6 weeks and the sweetest ever, help me help him please :)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dharveyk
Newborn
Newborn
dharveyk

Male Join date : 2018-02-16

Bohdi is 6 weeks and the sweetest ever, help me help him please :) Empty
PostSubject: Bohdi is 6 weeks and the sweetest ever, help me help him please :)   Bohdi is 6 weeks and the sweetest ever, help me help him please :) EmptySat Feb 17, 2018 5:32 pm

Hi all, glad to have such a resource.

Just picked up my new pup, Bohdi, from a "breeder" yesterday, we've been together about 24 hours now. And it's been great so far.

So worried though. Bohdi is only 6 weeks old today and has basically been treated horrible up to this point in his life. Crossing my fingers and prepared for 24/7 work/love as I know he might have some issues growing up and as an adult dog.

I'd like to ask, or be directed to a post, about feeding him.

The "breeder" was feeding him 1 cup of garbage kibble from walmart (lowest price for most food) twice a day. His little tummy was huge and firm and noisy. I know that's too much per day as well as too much per feeding.

So I've switched to Fromms large breed puppy food brand and begun a schedule of a 1/4 cup of food softened with warm water 4 times a day.

He pooped a bunch and had some diarrhea initially. But the diarrhea has stopped and the tummy looks much healthier and soft.

He seems to be voracious at every feeding and scarfs it all down super quickly. His poops have firmed well in 24 hours and have a healthier color. He has plenty of energy, for a six week old at least, sleeps lots and poops after every feeding.

You guys think I should feed him more, or more often, or anything? Everybody agree Fromms is high quality? Looking forward to being a part of the husky thing Smile.

Thanks in advance, Harvey
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Bohdi is 6 weeks and the sweetest ever, help me help him please :)   Bohdi is 6 weeks and the sweetest ever, help me help him please :) EmptySat Feb 17, 2018 8:23 pm

My Huskies, when puppies, were fed just under 3 cups a day. I fed them three times a day, somewhere between 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup each feeding. I believe 3 cups a day is pretty normal for a puppy. If your pup was having a firm/noisy tummy, I'd bet it was the lack of quality of the food rather than the amount of food. Others here will chime in on their own experiences though. It's the weekend and weekends can be slow here so be patient. From what I know, Fromm is a decent quality food. With Huskies, you want to stay grain free with whatever you feed. Many Huskies, it seems, have an intolerance to foods with chicken in it as well, just something to be aware of in case your pup continues to have issues with a noisy, upset tummy. The way it sounds though, changing foods has helped already. Being under the 8-9 week mark when pups typically leave their litters, and being in a new home and all, the "stress" can cause runny poop issues so don't panic should you see it return or anything, just make sure your pup stays hydrated should it return.

Congrats on your new puppy! And welcome to the forum! Smile
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Bohdi is 6 weeks and the sweetest ever, help me help him please :)   Bohdi is 6 weeks and the sweetest ever, help me help him please :) EmptySat Feb 17, 2018 11:10 pm

Congrats on the new puppy. Next bag of food. Ditch the large breed kibble. Huskies are a medium sized breed and don't need the large breed stuff. Don't remember the details but something to do calcium phosphorous ratios and growth rate.

I don't know about a 6 week old pup. But when Archer was 4 months, he got 3 cups a day divided in 3 feedings. Most important, get his shots before you let boom on grass where other dogs have been or before meeting other dogs.
Back to top Go down
dharveyk
Newborn
Newborn
dharveyk

PostSubject: Re: Bohdi is 6 weeks and the sweetest ever, help me help him please :)   Bohdi is 6 weeks and the sweetest ever, help me help him please :) EmptySun Feb 18, 2018 12:24 am

Thank you guys so so much. I'll bump the food quantity up slowly and see how he does, as well change to a chicken-less pup food from Fromm that's not for large breeds. Again, I appreciate the input and timely response. The amount seems like so much, My 80# lab of 14 years only ate 1 cup twice a day. Bohdi weighs in at roughly 7# at present.
He hasn't gotten to meet any other dogs, but does do his business outside. Hard to say about other dogs, Taos is full of them. The vet doesn't want to give the first Parvo shot until he's 8 weeks. Pretty tough to keep him inside only. He already goes to the door to go out to do his business after only 24 hours on being home.
Anyway, Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Bohdi is 6 weeks and the sweetest ever, help me help him please :)   Bohdi is 6 weeks and the sweetest ever, help me help him please :) EmptySun Feb 18, 2018 2:51 am

I did a little digging...at 6 weeks you probably should stroll feed 4 times per day. However, you definitely should greedy pic the large breed puppy food.

http://www.vetstreet.com/care/puppy-basics-101-how-to-care-for-your-new-dog
Back to top Go down
dharveyk
Newborn
Newborn
dharveyk

PostSubject: Re: Bohdi is 6 weeks and the sweetest ever, help me help him please :)   Bohdi is 6 weeks and the sweetest ever, help me help him please :) EmptySun Feb 18, 2018 1:03 pm

Last night Bohdi threw up a few times Sad. So worried. He came from a house full of different breeds of loud untrained dogs as well as what I said before. So a little worried.
He hasn't been to the vet yet, but will tomorrow if I can get an appointment (picked him up Friday afternoon and straight home). He did get a few feedings of Elevate dog food/ chicken recipe before being switched over to fromms. So I guess more of that than Fromms so far. Thinking this could be his vomiting from last night as you just said some huskies are allergic to chicken.
He had 2 "big" walks yesterday, but far form long or big, but it is cold here as well. His poops continue to be frequent and firm, tummy isn't as noisy, drinks plenty of water, shows no signs of lethargia, basically acts like a healthy puppy.
Could be he did get to nibble on sticks and such for the first time yesterday as well. Or the stress thing of new home, no pack, new food etc.
He doesn't have a kennel yet, it's coming tomorrow, and sleeps in bed with me. So no sleep for Harvey. But I do get to keep a VERY close eye on him.
Should I be worried about taking him out in the cold every hour or two all day and night? or just let hi do his business on the floor? He has an inside spot but has no idea he does. It's easier to take him out honestly as everytime I do he pees or poops and has very few accidents inside since he gets to go out so often.
I did up the food this morning to 1/2 cup softened with warm water and he seemed to be happier.
He gave his first barks for food this morning while it was being preparred. He must have been hungry after vomiting last night. So the hunger is still there at least.

For the love of Bohdi
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Bohdi is 6 weeks and the sweetest ever, help me help him please :)   Bohdi is 6 weeks and the sweetest ever, help me help him please :) EmptySun Feb 18, 2018 4:02 pm

Don't let him poop in the house if at all possible - try to find a place outside that no other dogs use.

As for the vomiting - very young puppies just rehomed are notorious for digestive upsets. I would choose a food and stick with it. And wait a while before jumping on the allergy wagon. We got Ami at 1 year of age and it took 4 months before "pudding poop" went away (he needs grain free, at least, corn free: Cracked corn in, cracked corn out, no change Razz )

And, finally, if you don't want him to sleep with you for life, I would get him out of your bed PDQ. When you get your crate, get one with a divider so you can make his space small enough to not want to poop in it - with the divider that can be enlarged as needed and you won't have to buy another crate.
Back to top Go down
dharveyk
Newborn
Newborn
dharveyk

PostSubject: Re: Bohdi is 6 weeks and the sweetest ever, help me help him please :)   Bohdi is 6 weeks and the sweetest ever, help me help him please :) EmptySun Feb 18, 2018 4:17 pm

AMY you are the best, I mean it. I feel like I haven't slept in 36 hours from worry and watching and reading.
I have ordered something like 4 different foods at this point for God's sake, I'm crazier than I even knew.
His vomiting was only overnight thankfully. I assume it could return again though tonight. I also know it's unlikely he has a chicken allergy... but I'm not even remotely willing to risk it right now. Maybe later when he's older. I have enough worries as it is with a new baby on my hands so to speak.
His crate will be here tomorrow and with a divider, but I like to sleep outside in the mountains or by the river more than inside and imagine he'll be by my side day and night for a long time to come. I like dogs typically more than humans anyway.
I get him outside to poop about 90% of the time as he consistently poops right after eating (4x a day right now) and immediately upon waking, so pretty easy to get him out.
Thank you SO much again Amy, you have no idea how much your words, experience and help mean to me right now.
Harvey & Bohdi
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Bohdi is 6 weeks and the sweetest ever, help me help him please :)   Bohdi is 6 weeks and the sweetest ever, help me help him please :) EmptyMon Feb 19, 2018 4:03 pm

The other Bodhi on the forum says "Welcome!"

People can be pretty opinionated when it comes to diet of their dogs.
Two things with which we all can agree are that most commercial dog food is junk and that huskies need fish in their diet because of their genes.
Historically, they existed solely on dried or fresh fish which provided lots of zinc.
Zinc is necessary for a healthy coat.
My vet, a husky owner, said that you can give huskies expensive supplements or make sure they have a fish based diet.
Back to top Go down
dharveyk
Newborn
Newborn
dharveyk

PostSubject: Re: Bohdi is 6 weeks and the sweetest ever, help me help him please :)   Bohdi is 6 weeks and the sweetest ever, help me help him please :) EmptyMon Feb 19, 2018 5:48 pm

Awesome and Thanks Michael and Bohdi! That's great to hear. As I've stated, it's been driving me a little crazy, especially with such a big baby on my hands. After talking to some husky friends owners, his soon to be vet, and various threads and forums. I've officially switched Bohdi to a single source salmon food high in fats and protein with low carb. I could see changing again later, but for now this is it for a while. Other things to dwell upon and learn other than husky puppy diet LOL. Like bite inhibition training, house training, leash training, exercise, crate training, etc Wink. You're Bohdi sure looks enlightened and awakened!!! What a good looker/ licker. Look forward to hearing more advice and recs from you too in the near future. -Harvey & Bohdi
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Bohdi is 6 weeks and the sweetest ever, help me help him please :)   Bohdi is 6 weeks and the sweetest ever, help me help him please :) EmptyMon Feb 19, 2018 7:49 pm

Michael...while Ami will eat some haddock from my plate, he turns his nose up at salmon. I once bought him a fresh, huge Pacific salmon head, froze it to get rid of parasites, cut it in quarters for him and Archer. Nope. Wouldn't touch it. Archer LOVED it.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Bohdi is 6 weeks and the sweetest ever, help me help him please :)   Bohdi is 6 weeks and the sweetest ever, help me help him please :) EmptyMon Feb 19, 2018 8:49 pm

Kohdi and Mishka have been eating food with salmon as its main ingredient since they were puppies basically. I've always chosen the fish based food mostly because I feel that's what Huskies should be eating. With Mishka and her food sensitivities, I went to lamb because I was told it was easier on the digestive system and it turns out they like it much more than the fish food they were previously eating, and without the awful smell, LOL. This pic is from the Acana site talking about the food I'm feeding them. To me, it's somewhat impressive in that I do feel good feeding it to them. As far as the zinc, they mention it here too, and while it's not something naturally occurring in this recipe, it is the one thing they add so I think I'm good.
Bohdi is 6 weeks and the sweetest ever, help me help him please :) Image196
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Bohdi is 6 weeks and the sweetest ever, help me help him please :)   Bohdi is 6 weeks and the sweetest ever, help me help him please :) EmptyMon Feb 19, 2018 8:59 pm

quick thing here, at 6 weeks ( way young) bad "breeder" i would have him checked for worms, and to the vet ASAP to start puppy shots, he should not be out in areas other then your house and yard, he can pick up parvo and get really sick and die.
at 6 weeks you should just be playing with him and teaching him, no need for walks unless its to get used to harness and leash, you can do that in your back yard.

Newborn
Newborn
dharveyk

PostSubject: Re: Bohdi is 6 weeks and the sweetest ever, help me help him please :)   Bohdi is 6 weeks and the sweetest ever, help me help him please :) EmptyTue Feb 20, 2018 11:23 am

Morning Jenifer and thanks, I'm continually worried and second guessing myself. He has an appointment on March 5th, and I'm trying to get him in sooner, actually as soon as possible. I might have to find a different vet honestly if she can't fit us in any sooner. I'm terrified of Parvo and sleep little related to that among other things. He goes out on leash about 12 times a day to his little area to do his business and seems to be happy enough on leash and exploring within a 100 foot area or so at the moment. He's still such a young baby, I spend every second of every day with him napping, playing, eating, do business. He seems pretty smart most of the time for a little baby already (my only hope lol). Thanks for the great advice and help, I've certainly already over stimulated him once or twice and felt like a very bad puppy daddy.

Jimmy: I sure like the sound of Acana and will look into and consider it if he ever tires of the Salmon. Thanks for the info, sounds like great food.

I'll get some pics loaded onto the laptop soon to share I promise. Seems like my hands are always full or being chewed on Smile

Harvey & Bohdi
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Bohdi is 6 weeks and the sweetest ever, help me help him please :)   Bohdi is 6 weeks and the sweetest ever, help me help him please :) EmptyTue Feb 20, 2018 2:44 pm

Harvey,
would you mind updating your info to include where you live, we have members all over and they may be able to help point you in directions as far as vets go. I would look for a new vet, if they can not see you till the 5th, what would it be like if you had a real emergency? our vet can normally get us in that day or the following morning.
the other thing you will need to teach him being so young is bite inhibition, when pups are removed from their litter to young they miss a good moment to learn play and bite with their siblings. you will have a mouthy husky on your hands very soon, and it is not fun. We adopted Finn at about 7 months, i have no doubt he was removed to soon from his litter, i was a bruised mess for about 4 months, and he is still mouthy with us no matter how much we have worked on it.

good thing is you found us here and we have great info to help you along the way!

Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Bohdi is 6 weeks and the sweetest ever, help me help him please :)   Bohdi is 6 weeks and the sweetest ever, help me help him please :) EmptyTue Feb 20, 2018 3:38 pm

Also...if you have a tractor supply or a pet store near you, the frequently have vaccination clinics (DO NOT LET HER IN CONTACT WITH OTHER DOGS, in you arms, keeping your distance, get your shot and leave.)

I cannot reiterate enough Jennifer's post - she is at risk without vaccines.
Back to top Go down
dharveyk
Newborn
Newborn
dharveyk

PostSubject: Re: Bohdi is 6 weeks and the sweetest ever, help me help him please :)   Bohdi is 6 weeks and the sweetest ever, help me help him please :) EmptyTue Feb 20, 2018 4:52 pm

Hi Jennifer and Amy,

I love how interactive this forum is! The Vet is going to call me back, hopefully with an appointment tomorrow or the next day for a wellness check and first round of vacs. She took such good care of my last dog, house visits, etc. and said if she had known I would have already been seen. So crossing my fingers.
Bohdi hasn't met any other dogs yet, and I'm reluctant to let people even pet him at this point, though some yoga ladies did get to say hi this morning for the first time.
He is already very mouthy and wanting to play rough with his sharp little needle teeth. I'm all torn up at this point, it doesn't feel hard, but the little needles pierce the skin easily. I do bite him back when he hurts me, give loud yelps and get up/ stop playing, hold his nuzzle when he gets too ferocious, and encourage him to be gentle continually. Bite inhibition is one of the things I'm pretty worried about. He seems to understand me more often than not about a lot of things. I consider it all just coincidence, but it sure happens a lot. I continue daily/ full time "training" mostly on bite inhibition, doing his business, and key words: Sit, stay, come, yes/good boy, No/naw, let's go, & calm down. Time will tell, and I'll of course share as the days blur together Smile THANKS AGAIN!!! Harvey & Bohdi (profile updated and saved this time!)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bohdi is 6 weeks and the sweetest ever, help me help him please :)   Bohdi is 6 weeks and the sweetest ever, help me help him please :) Empty

Back to top Go down

Bohdi is 6 weeks and the sweetest ever, help me help him please :)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1