It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

A lot of questions in one post. Full size, Food, and Spay questions.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
CloverField
Puppy
Puppy
CloverField

Female Join date : 2017-11-15

food - A lot of questions in one post. Full size, Food, and Spay questions. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A lot of questions in one post. Full size, Food, and Spay questions.   food - A lot of questions in one post. Full size, Food, and Spay questions. - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 07, 2018 4:48 pm

Another update already haha. She had diarrhea yesterday and the again this morning, so I took her into work to get checked out again and make sure all was good. They found some RBCs in her fecal direct, so they took some blood and ran a test to check her hematocrit and pcv and that was all normal, a little low, but normal. They just sent her home with some RC GI canned food and dewormer pills just to make sure there isn't something they're missing there as well. I'm so glad I work there because they don't really charge me for the tests they run, just the meds and food. Also, she weighs 23 pounds!

I've decided for her vulva, that if it doesn't grow out by her first heat, then when she's spayed, I'll have them do the corrective surgery as well. Since she'll already be under getting one thing done, I figured might as well knock out two birds with one stone haha.

On our little bike runs she's usually weaving from pavement to grass if she can be on grass easily without hitting things. I really feel like I should know more about the issues it could cause and when you'll see them in life, but I don't so I'm glad you have more of an idea about it than I do.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

food - A lot of questions in one post. Full size, Food, and Spay questions. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A lot of questions in one post. Full size, Food, and Spay questions.   food - A lot of questions in one post. Full size, Food, and Spay questions. - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 07, 2018 10:08 pm

23 pounds is about where she was so that's good!

They tried to put Mishka on the GI diet, but it was Science Diet, Mishka would not touch it for nothing.

I didn't know about the structured walk/runs/hikes limitations on dogs under a year old til I joined this site, so don't feel bad!
Back to top Go down
CloverField
Puppy
Puppy
CloverField

Female Join date : 2017-11-15

PostSubject: Re: A lot of questions in one post. Full size, Food, and Spay questions.   food - A lot of questions in one post. Full size, Food, and Spay questions. - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 07, 2018 10:56 pm

Tetra ate the first half of the can no problem but now she won't touch any more of it. Oh well, I tried haha. They always push Hills and Royal Canin but truthfully, I'd rather something with less grains.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: A lot of questions in one post. Full size, Food, and Spay questions.   food - A lot of questions in one post. Full size, Food, and Spay questions. - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2018 12:21 am

Mishka seems to be having G I problems now too. She's been throwing up, diareah (needed to be let out A LOT last night) seems very uncomfortable, restless, barely even drinks water, not eating now either Sad sitting a lot too.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: A lot of questions in one post. Full size, Food, and Spay questions.   food - A lot of questions in one post. Full size, Food, and Spay questions. - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2018 1:04 am

My only comment to all of this is "Have you all seen all the recalls I've posted in the past week regarding salmonella poisoning?"

I hope this isn't the case but with three in the past week and it becomes obvious that the different producers are using the same sources - at least to me.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: A lot of questions in one post. Full size, Food, and Spay questions.   food - A lot of questions in one post. Full size, Food, and Spay questions. - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2018 1:16 am

I have been reading your recalls, Al (it's a great thing you do for this site) it's always worrisome to me. As far as I know, Acana hasn't had any recalls (one of the criterias I went by when changing their food was recall history) but I'd also never depend on that as I know it can change, for any dog food, but I also have to take into consideration that whatever Mishka eats, Kohdi eats and he's never been sick. Mishka just gets these things and it's frustrating not to know the why.
Back to top Go down
y0ey
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: First time poster here!   food - A lot of questions in one post. Full size, Food, and Spay questions. - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 27, 2018 11:06 am

Similar question to OPs post, my girl is 6mo old and weighs 30lbs. She was spayed at 4 months and although i am not worried about her growth as much, i am having issues with her diet.

She has been on TOTW Pacific Stream for 3 months and started having non stop diarrhea and/or soft stools about month ago. After 2 vet visits and fecal tests to rule out parasites, i had her on bland diet and colitis medication for the past week and that straightened her right out. Now i am switching her back to kibble and I think I may have been over feeding her, I fed her 2 cups a day for the weekend and she did fine with that, yesterday i upped it to 3 cups which is what the bag recommends and what i had been feeding her previously and her stool was soft again this morning.

Any insight on this would be super helpful! Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Kmanweiss
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2016-09-01

PostSubject: Re: A lot of questions in one post. Full size, Food, and Spay questions.   food - A lot of questions in one post. Full size, Food, and Spay questions. - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 27, 2018 12:14 pm

3 cups it too much!

Huskies are lean, energy efficient dogs. The instructions on those bags are really general for an average grouping of breeds. Huskies don't fall into that average.

2 cups a day is enough for your dog, especially if you supplement that with any other treats.

Once everything gets back to normal, if you feel like your dog is underfed yet, you can increase the amount you are feeding by a little bit at a time until you find the right amount for your dog.
Back to top Go down
y0ey
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: A lot of questions in one post. Full size, Food, and Spay questions.   food - A lot of questions in one post. Full size, Food, and Spay questions. - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 27, 2018 12:21 pm

Thank you! Thats kinda what I was thinking too. She is VERY ACTIVE so i figured the 3 cups a day wouldnt hurt and i didnt want to underfeed her and stunt her growth but I do know that huskies are way more effiecient dogs and often only eat as much as they need.
Back to top Go down
Kmanweiss
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2016-09-01

PostSubject: Re: A lot of questions in one post. Full size, Food, and Spay questions.   food - A lot of questions in one post. Full size, Food, and Spay questions. - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 28, 2018 11:10 am

Rorschach is almost 2 at this point.  He's a little on the small side (approx 45 lbs), but extremely active.  He goes on an hour long run every morning (off leash, so he zooms all over the entire time).  He gets another 30-60 minutes of walks every day.  He gets another 30-60 minutes of high activity play time in the yard every day.  He gets to spend 4 hours at a doggy day care twice a week.  Once or twice a week he gets a 10 mile run (off leash again).  On top of that, he doesn't get crated, so he has a fairly large indoor/outdoor kennel area with another dog and plenty of toys to play with.

With all that, we only give him 2 to 2.5 cups of food per day.  Any more than that and we have issues.

As for self regulating food intake. Some do, some don't. Rorschach doesn't. He eats literally ANYTHING he can get. Someone failed to secure the inside latch of the kennel one day and the dogs had free reign of the garage for a morning. Rorschach chewed a hole into an unopened bag of kibble and ate so much that his gut area was about 3 times normal size. We estimate that he ate at least 5+ cups of kibble that morning before he stopped...in addition to any treats he may have scavenged and anything out of the garbage he consumed. He was discovered with his face in the bag of food, so lord only knows if he would have stopped before eating himself to death.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: A lot of questions in one post. Full size, Food, and Spay questions.   food - A lot of questions in one post. Full size, Food, and Spay questions. - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 28, 2018 11:44 am

I think it is worth noting that this time of year with all the weather changes it can cause some upset stomachs and some moping around. If the weather has taken some major swings sometimes that can be a factor in how a dog (or even a person for that matter) feels.

As for @y0ey definitely too much too fast, as Dave said. Work up to the amount you are shooting for. When you get soft poop, back off on the amount. Her body will tell you how much is enough in either soft stool or too much weight gain.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: A lot of questions in one post. Full size, Food, and Spay questions.   food - A lot of questions in one post. Full size, Food, and Spay questions. - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 28, 2018 12:23 pm

Dave - my Mom had a dog that DID eat himself to death. She raised Old English Sheepdogs and one got out of the kennel overnight and into a bag of Eukanuba (which, at that time was a top notch food) My physician dad thought at the time it was kidney failure from the high protein food but, knowing what I know now, I suspect the huge volume of food gave him bloat. Don't want to think about that...Murghatroyd was a lovely dog, followed us everywhere, happy as can be. Nasty way to die Sad

As for feeding amounts - I have a huge male and with his current food at 442 calories per cup, he gets 2/3 cup twice a day, a couple tablespoons at bedtime, half a cheese stick hand fed in bits as a mid-day treat, a raw bone with bits of meat and fat still attached and a movie treat of a tablespoon of canned whipped cream. When we first got him, I misunderstood the amounts they were feeding and gave him double - massive diarrhea. Two cups is probably ample for your guy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A lot of questions in one post. Full size, Food, and Spay questions.   food - A lot of questions in one post. Full size, Food, and Spay questions. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

A lot of questions in one post. Full size, Food, and Spay questions.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2