It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Taste of the wild “boar” flavor?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TigerCzarina
Teenager
Teenager
TigerCzarina

Female Join date : 2015-09-11

Taste of the wild “boar” flavor? Empty
PostSubject: Taste of the wild “boar” flavor?   Taste of the wild “boar” flavor? EmptyTue Mar 13, 2018 5:56 pm

Hey all! So my husband heard that our usual dog food, blue buffalo, was being bought out by General Mills. Knowing that their chief income source is grains, I doubt that the food will stay grain free once the merger goes through. So we finally pulled the trigger and decided to try the taste of the wild. We went with the boar flavor since it’s closest to what we fed them already (although I know they had an elk flavor but the second ingredient was chicken and Mia’s sensitive to chicken unless straight off the grill).

We’re going to start mixing in the dry food tonight and want to start adding wet food as a topper (bc they’re spoiled and need dinner to be ~special~ or they won’t eat). Has anyone tried their wet food? Is it any good, or do you prefer other brands?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the wild “boar” flavor?   Taste of the wild “boar” flavor? EmptyTue Mar 13, 2018 6:11 pm

I'll simply say that "Blue" has had enough problems over the last year that they don't need any more. Their buy-out by General Mills does not look good in my eyes.

This appears to be GM's first entry into the dog food arena and taking on a problematic company doesn't often seem to solve the problems. If you'd like to see all of GM's brands, they're listed on this page.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
TigerCzarina
Teenager
Teenager
TigerCzarina

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the wild “boar” flavor?   Taste of the wild “boar” flavor? EmptyTue Mar 13, 2018 6:15 pm

Exactly why we decided it’s not worth it to keep using the blue buffalo. It’s a shame bc our dogs LOVE it but I’m hoping that they’ll like the taste of the wild.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the wild “boar” flavor?   Taste of the wild “boar” flavor? EmptyTue Mar 13, 2018 9:38 pm

Neither my big red fluffy nor grandpuppy particularly liked the wild boar flavor of totw when I tried it several years ago. They ate it but not with the gusto they did the high prairie.
Back to top Go down
TigerCzarina
Teenager
Teenager
TigerCzarina

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the wild “boar” flavor?   Taste of the wild “boar” flavor? EmptyWed Mar 14, 2018 12:20 am

That was going to be the flavor we wanted but with chicken as the third main ingredient we went with the boar. They seemed to like the dry food tonight, but we’ll see at breakfast if they still like it. Dinner time means they get the wet food on top of the dry food so I’m sure the the taste of their normal wet food frowns out the new dry food flavor. Fingers crossed!
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the wild “boar” flavor?   Taste of the wild “boar” flavor? EmptyWed Mar 14, 2018 4:47 am

Hi Dev, there are a few different flavors with out chicken for TOTW, they also have the prey line that is limited ingredient, and no chicken. So there is quite the variety. As for the can, my foodie will eat it, my husky girl is so so with TOTW can. She loves merrick can so that may be an option.
Back to top Go down
Kmanweiss
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2016-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the wild “boar” flavor?   Taste of the wild “boar” flavor? EmptyThu Mar 15, 2018 12:20 pm

We haven't tried the boar flavor, but I'd suggest being open to trying the other flavors if boar doesn't work as well as you'd like.
I don't remember what cheap junk we were feeding our dogs before, but we originally switched to TOTW High Prairie. Our local store was out of stock one time when we ran out of food, so we switched to Pacific Stream on a whim....holy cow. They liked the switch to TOTW HP, but Pacific Stream blew their minds.

Those new Prey flavors look interesting.
Back to top Go down
TigerCzarina
Teenager
Teenager
TigerCzarina

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the wild “boar” flavor?   Taste of the wild “boar” flavor? EmptyThu Mar 15, 2018 2:20 pm

So far so good with the dry food! The first morning Luka picked out the pieces of totw and ate the blue first, then ate the totw. This morning he ate without a problem.

Husband also reported that Lukas poops were firmer than usual-usually he has softer but still pretty solid poops. Husband says these looked like healthier poops, so he’s a happy camper. He’s also happy that chewy sells it for much cheaper than what PetSmart charges for blue buffalo. Will be ordering the wet food once we run out of cans of blue wet food.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the wild “boar” flavor?   Taste of the wild “boar” flavor? Empty

Back to top Go down

Taste of the wild “boar” flavor?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1