It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

husky puppy loose leash training

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kitten:D
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2018-03-07

training - husky puppy loose leash training Empty
PostSubject: husky puppy loose leash training   training - husky puppy loose leash training EmptySat Mar 17, 2018 11:07 pm

Hi. She walks well by herself with me around the block with flat collar. But with our older male she competes to be in front or if she has to poop. How can I train her to walk nice even in those situations? Stop and go seemed to work but how long are you supposed to stop when she pulls? I tend to nanopause so if I had a time frame I could count it would be helpful. How long did It take to train your huskies to be reliable on a flat buckle collar? What methods do you uses? I know they pull, and I know you CAN stop it and should do the neck damage pulling does. Thanks :0
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: husky puppy loose leash training   training - husky puppy loose leash training EmptyMon Mar 19, 2018 10:49 am

I did the stop and turn and walk the opposite direction every time they started pulling or I would pause and make them sit before going on again. It worked alright for mine. The competing thing is hard to break. You basically have to break both dogs to loose leash walking or to a full heel. One of my males thinks he wants to beat my female to everything so he pulls like a nightmare. He just isn't lead dog material though and has no business leading the way so I made his leash shorter and hold the leash up more. The change in angle so the leash sits more straight up helped some as well.

I've never fully broken mine to be perfect on leash when I have the gsd mix and female husky together. While pulling is an aggravation I did get them to stop the incessant level of pulling that was trying to rip my arm from its socket which was my main concern. I have a walking belt that I carabiner mine to for walks which puts the stress of what pulling they still do on my hips where it bothers me less.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: husky puppy loose leash training   training - husky puppy loose leash training EmptyMon Mar 19, 2018 2:29 pm

When I was doing the stop and go, sometimes I had to wait several minutes before my boy would stop the incessant pacing - he would pace in circles around me. I would just...wait. And, now, when I walk two together, there is a "steam roller dump truck" full on charge effect. But, I use prong collars and it keeps them somewhat contained. I've given up on the harnesses and waist belt - damn dogs tried to kill me last fall bolting after a critter. Now, its prong collars with ecollar back up (an NO mommy daydreaming!!!) If they bolt now, I'm afraid I will just drop the leash - took me several months to recuperate from flying through the air, landing with a thud and acting as a drag anchor. I've also trained a rock solid sit, which we practice as an emergency command...all the time. If I need to, I want them "sit" when I say sit should something be about to happen - car, critter, bicycle, whatever.
Back to top Go down
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: husky puppy loose leash training   training - husky puppy loose leash training EmptyMon Mar 19, 2018 5:04 pm

amymeme wrote:
When I was doing the stop and go, sometimes I had to wait several minutes before my boy would stop the incessant pacing - he would pace in circles around me.  I would just...wait.  And, now, when I walk two together, there is a "steam roller dump truck" full on charge effect.  But, I use prong collars and it keeps them somewhat contained.  I've given up on the harnesses and waist belt - damn dogs tried to kill me last fall bolting after a critter.  Now, its prong collars with ecollar back up (an NO mommy daydreaming!!!)  If they bolt now, I'm afraid I will just drop the leash - took me several months to recuperate from flying through the air, landing with a thud and acting as a drag anchor.  I've also trained a rock solid sit, which we practice as an emergency command...all the time.  If I need to, I want them "sit" when I say sit should something be about to happen - car, critter, bicycle, whatever.

Thank you. Ill have to stop longer. My male Siberian husky is on prongs currently, we got him when he was almost three years old and he was pulled hard. For a while we were doing stop n go but after a few months of little progress (good around block basically) we went thru choke, front clip harness (a joke really those seem to not work at flipping the dog around only work if on certain side) martigale etc. prongs helped me but he when off will pull like crazy. I was thinking of when I have time I can use clicker and treats and have someone walk Timber (older dog) in front and work on it. Then on walks with family or we cant stop when she pulls and Use a prong collar. Would that help teach no pulling ever or not a good idea if end goal is just a flat buckle collar.

Good for you to use the e collar. They have many good uses. Such as treating SA. Also I think every dog who is offleash should have one for safety, better than getting hit by a car. Glad someone agrees with me Smile on Huskyowners.com I was banned for uttering e collar and everyone rushed to bash me XD
Back to top Go down
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: husky puppy loose leash training   training - husky puppy loose leash training EmptyMon Mar 19, 2018 5:06 pm

TwisterII wrote:
I did the stop and turn and walk the opposite direction every time they started pulling or I would pause and make them sit before going on again. It worked alright for mine. The competing thing is hard to break. You basically have to break both dogs to loose leash walking or to a full heel. One of my males thinks he wants to beat my female to everything so he pulls like a nightmare. He just isn't lead dog material though and has no business leading the way so I made his leash shorter and hold the leash up more. The change in angle so the leash sits more straight up helped some as well.

I've never fully broken mine to be perfect on leash when I have the gsd mix and female husky together. While pulling is an aggravation I did get them to stop the incessant level of pulling that was trying to rip my arm from its socket which was my main concern. I have a walking belt that I carabiner mine to for walks which puts the stress of what pulling they still do on my hips where it bothers me less.

yeah its funny how as soon as she is in front she stops pulling and remembers her training XD.
Back to top Go down
AngieM
Newborn
Newborn
AngieM

Female Join date : 2017-12-05

PostSubject: Re: husky puppy loose leash training   training - husky puppy loose leash training EmptyFri Apr 13, 2018 7:53 pm

Here's the answer for off leash. its one word. CHICKEN!
A little background prior to off leash...My husky is 6 months and she is excellent on the leash! Doesn't pull, she walks on our left side, right when we stop walking she automatically sits and will stay sit until we say "heel" or "come". So if she is sitting and we walk away she will stay sitting until we say "come" or "heel" and then she will come right back to your left side. I know they say you can't fully trust a husky off-leash and we don't fully but I'd like her to have some freedom while walking/running in certain areas. Obviously we don't off leash in a busy place with tons of distraction because that's asking for trouble. Anyways, I decided to make my pup some chicken for a snack then I got this brilliant idea...train her with chicken. Then another brilliant idea...off leash train with chicken. See where I'm going here Smile
I did this in an enclosed area first. I did all of our usual commands but with no leash attached and each time she obeyed the command she got a little piece of chicken and also for when she automatically sits without me telling her to when I stop walking. She was hooked on the first bite! I mean HOOKED! She loved it, you could see it deep in her eyes that she just found the love of her little puppy life and would do anything for a little piece of chicken. After some time of doing off leash in an enclosed area, I decided to try it around my neighborhood where she is already familiar with the environment but I had the leash on me just in case...and my running shoes just in case! She did great!!! I had her sit and I walked away down the street a little. She stayed sitting waiting for me to tell her to come. In that time my cat ran right by her and normally she will chase the cat but she didn't even flinch, my neighbor walked near her and she didn't go up to him. Her eyes were on me and the chicken (probably mostly on the chicken), when I called her she came running full force and got her reward.
We don't have an enclosed yard so I usually take her potty on leash but now that I have magical chicken, I get a chicken strip and take her potty off leash. She walks on my left side to the potty spot, goes potty and walks back in with me. try it Smile carefully.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: husky puppy loose leash training   training - husky puppy loose leash training Empty

Back to top Go down

husky puppy loose leash training

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1