It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Puppy peed on our bed!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mikko'sMum
Puppy
Puppy
Mikko'sMum

Female Join date : 2011-04-05

Puppy peed on our bed!! Empty
PostSubject: Puppy peed on our bed!!   Puppy peed on our bed!! EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 10:36 pm

So this morning I was on the computer just hanging out with Mikko when I heard him trotting up the stairs. I was pretty sure I had closed all the doors but was waiting to hear him come back down.
Well I was wrong...
As I walked up into our bedroom, he was on our bed peeing all over the down duvet and FOAM mattress. My jaw dropped and I let out a stern "NO", and put him in the bathroom until I cleaned up and calmed down.
I thought we were making progress on the potty training as he only pees on the puppy mats about 3 times a week now and usually waits at the back door to go out. Why would he go out of his way to go upstairs, jump on our bed and pee?
BTW we don't let him up on the bed....EVER. His kennel is in our room and has his toys in it which is where I thought he was going.
Has this ever happened to any of you?
I'm seriously at my wits end with this guy!!! Mad
Back to top Go down
beck3465
Teenager
Teenager
beck3465

PostSubject: Re: Puppy peed on our bed!!   Puppy peed on our bed!! EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 10:46 pm

Sometimes breeders let puppies use the bathroom on sheets or old blankets or towels. It is a real problem later on, because the puppies may always associate going potty with these things. You may have to supervise closely and make sure he has gone to the potty before you let him get on your bed.
Also no bedding in the crate. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Mikko'sMum
Puppy
Puppy
Mikko'sMum

PostSubject: Re: Puppy peed on our bed!!   Puppy peed on our bed!! EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 11:24 pm

As far as I know the breeder used newspaper....but I who knows.
He also peed in his crate a couple of times, but has since stopped since we blocked it off to make it smaller.
And he had been let out about 20 minutes before going up there, which makes me wonder why he did it....
Thanks for the advice Smile
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Puppy peed on our bed!!   Puppy peed on our bed!! EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 11:51 pm

Do you use Nothing In Life Is Free training? Google it if you are unsure. It's a very simple training method that anyone can do and it's an everyday, easy process.

Peeing on YOUR bed, or YOUR space could mean that he's marking YOUR territory as his own. To counteract this, you want to make sure your puppy understands his place in the household. You are the boss and you make the rules. Puppy follows. All good things come from you. If puppy wants good things, puppy will not do things that piss off mommy Wink NILIF will help you convey this message and in general help train and keep Mikko under control.

This would be my first guess. If you're already practicing NILIF regularly, I might have other suggestions. Otherwise, good luck!

Puppy peed on our bed!! Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Puppy peed on our bed!!   Puppy peed on our bed!! EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 12:08 am

Zoeys breeder used puppy pads, and when we got her home she was 95% potty trained, but whenever there was something soft on the floor or bed (towl, sheet, blanket) she'd pee on it if no one was watching.

with Embry, we got him at 10 weeks old and he was mainly outside in the dog kennels with mom and other puppies and he was terrified of being outside, and going potty out there. I have no idea why, it was the most bizarre thing. He was going on puppy pads until he was 9 months old Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Puppy peed on our bed!!   Puppy peed on our bed!! EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 12:30 am

Sabaka did that once right after we gave him his heartworm pill and I think the meds were hurting his tummy. He was very young, we had just taken him out before bed, I was washing my face and decided that if left unattended he would mess with things in my room so I plopped him on my bed. Almost immediately he was peeing; however, that night and the next day he had diarrhea as that heartworm pill was expelling a few worms. I think the peeing was because of abdominal pain. Do you think your guy might not be feeling well?
Back to top Go down
Mikko'sMum
Puppy
Puppy
Mikko'sMum

PostSubject: Re: Puppy peed on our bed!!   Puppy peed on our bed!! EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 1:12 am

Koda wrote:
Do you use Nothing In Life Is Free training? Google it if you are unsure. It's a very simple training method that anyone can do and it's an everyday, easy process.

Peeing on YOUR bed, or YOUR space could mean that he's marking YOUR territory as his own. To counteract this, you want to make sure your puppy understands his place in the household. You are the boss and you make the rules. Puppy follows. All good things come from you. If puppy wants good things, puppy will not do things that piss off mommy Wink NILIF will help you convey this message and in general help train and keep Mikko under control.

This would be my first guess. If you're already practicing NILIF regularly, I might have other suggestions. Otherwise, good luck!

Hi Koda,
Yes we are practicing NILIF and I suspect his behaviors as of late are resulting from this because he is trying to push our buttons more and more every day. We don't let him get away with the biting and try to turn our back on him and walk away but this results in him niping the back of our calves and jumping up. I've started trying to physically remove myself (this also helps calm me down after he's hurt me).

The peeing on the bed was the ultimate diss...especially with his goofy grin on his face like "HAHA look what I DID!!!".
Back to top Go down
Mikko'sMum
Puppy
Puppy
Mikko'sMum

PostSubject: Re: Puppy peed on our bed!!   Puppy peed on our bed!! EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 1:17 am

@Jennet: He always pees when we're not watching! So basically it is our fault...lol. But we have caught him just about to pee and we correct him and bring him outside. I know he was indoors with his mother until about 6 weeks and then they were outside in a dog kennel where the pups had their own den made of hay, but they could go out to do their business on the snow. The breeder mentioned using newspaper when they were indoors, but I did see them always wrapped in old sheets so who knows.
@SabakaMom: He hasn't had any problems with the heartworm pill so far...and he had it 4 days ago. Plus he has way too much energy to be sick!!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Puppy peed on our bed!!   Puppy peed on our bed!! EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 9:55 am

My suggestion would be not to let him have the run of the house. You might want to invest in baby gates to keep him confined to certain rooms of the house when you are downstairs.

As a puppy, he needs STRICT rules and boundaries. If he feels that he gets the run of the house, he's going to test those rules and boundaries to find out what he's capable of. Rules and restrictions actually help a dog and a puppy feel confident and secure. It's when those rules and boundaries are lacking that they feel insecure and start to test their limits.

Confine him to rooms with you, especially while you're still potty training. This is so essential. Don't let him get away so that he can make a mistake.

Increase your NILIF training. Step it up a notch so that he has to work for EVERYTHING. Going outside, coming inside, playing with a toy, etc. Make sure it is made ABSOLUTELY clear that he should be responding to you.

Puppy peed on our bed!! Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Puppy peed on our bed!!   Puppy peed on our bed!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Puppy peed on our bed!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1