It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Swollen Nose on puppy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
HuskyMomma89
Puppy
Puppy
HuskyMomma89

Female Join date : 2018-03-09

Puppy - Swollen Nose on puppy Empty
PostSubject: Swollen Nose on puppy   Puppy - Swollen Nose on puppy EmptySun Mar 25, 2018 3:41 pm

I went ahead and took in Siggy's sister. We have named her Torvi. She is also small like Siggy. I went and got her last night. I didn't notice her nose until i got home. I was just excited to have her home with me and Siggy. When I got home and introduced her to her sister and to my husband I noticed her nose was swollen on top. It's been cold here in KY so I know its not a bee or wasp sting. I asked the breeder who I got her from if she knew her nose was swollen and she said no but she knows her mom snapped at her a few days ago for trying to nurse. "shes 6 weeks old" Plus she said their remodeling their back porch and she fell between 2 boards and might have scratched it. I looked inside of her nostrils to make sure no bugs crawled up in there. Ive seen on youtube people extracting bot fly larva from kittens and I was so horrified but again its cold and i'm not in the right area for that. It dosnt slow her down but she does whine a little when her nose is touched. We go to our vet the 29th for first puppy visit and vaccines. I just wanted some input on what you guys might think it is.Thank you so much Smile Puppy - Swollen Nose on puppy 29345610
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Swollen Nose on puppy   Puppy - Swollen Nose on puppy EmptyMon Mar 26, 2018 10:47 am

I do not envy you having two puppies that are that young. Good breeders will not let pups go under 8 weeks and you will have a challenge ahead of you. That aside, usually a little benedryl will help in the instances of bites or stings but at 6 weeks I probably would be leary of trying that. If it doesn't go down on its own in 24 hours I would go to vet to make sure she didn't take a hit to the face harder than the breeder was admitting and didn't break something in her nose cartilage. Bites and stings usually go down on their own after a bit as long as the dog doesn't have an adverse reaction such as swelling that causes difficulty breathing. A deviated septum is a different ballgame.

Puppy
Puppy
HuskyMomma89

PostSubject: Re: Swollen Nose on puppy   Puppy - Swollen Nose on puppy EmptyMon Mar 26, 2018 11:55 am

I never wanted them home so early it wasnt my plan at all but their situation wasnt a good one. I brought them home to help them instead of them dying. I know there will be challenges as they grow and I will handle that as it comes. BUT better than them being dead. I called my vet already and she said since im coming in Thursday and she's not having problems breathing or bleeding she'll look at it then. I've heard of the benedryl and I would never give her that since shes so small. These pups are very little for their age. If you could see them in person its crazy. I have a ton of questions for he vet when I go but she just has a policy they have to be 7 weeks. I'm hoping them not eating well caused their growth to slow down and not something genetic. I'm getting them back on track the best that I can. That's why I joined this site to get helpful and friendly advise from people who maybe have had similar experiences or troubles. Not trying to be rude or anything but Im not envious of myself either. I know this will be a long road but worth all the cuddles and kisses I will recieve when their healthy and appreciate what i've done if i'm lucky. Smile
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Swollen Nose on puppy   Puppy - Swollen Nose on puppy EmptyMon Mar 26, 2018 1:46 pm

I would definitely look at a probiotic to put them on. And would also take a look at your local dog laws and consider turning the "breeder" in for neglect. Anytime staying with a breeder could mean death for a pup that is a breeder that needs to be stopped. Breeders will keep breeding if the pups keep selling, even if people are just buying them to protect them. You may see if there's anyway the local humane society or animal control can seize the dogs and remaining pups.

We have a lot of information on here about raising puppies at the same time. Main thing is to prevent littermate syndrome. Lots of time away from each other. Separate walks, separate training. Want to make sure that both dogs get their own attention and time to be independent of each other.

Hopefully the nose will go down on its own and not be a problem.

Puppy
Puppy
HuskyMomma89

PostSubject: Re: Swollen Nose on puppy   Puppy - Swollen Nose on puppy EmptyMon Mar 26, 2018 2:08 pm

It's went down some already. Not as sensitive as before. She is a very lively pup for sure. The breeder has become a friend of mine and i'm trying to find the right way to tell her she needs to stop breeding. She's a great person just a lot on her plate and she shouldnt have bred. Shes not a breeder per say. More of a not paying attention thing and her huskies are not spayed or neutered. The other pups have found a home already so they are all safe. Torvi was the last puppy. I will defiantely give them their own seperate attention. They dont stay togther now. They were apart for over a week so they are getting to know each other again and at the moment Siggy is a bit jealous of Torvi trying to get my attention. Siggy has come to find that im part of her pack and is not ready for Torvi to be a part i guess. They play together and have slept together once or twice but for the most part they sleep apart and wonder on their own. I'm sure that could change in the future. They are 6 weeks and 3 days today. i know this will be a long road but anything you love is worth the time and commitment and i'm willing to give them that time and love. Thank you so much for your advise.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Swollen Nose on puppy   Puppy - Swollen Nose on puppy Empty

Back to top Go down

Swollen Nose on puppy

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1