It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Puppy exercise

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mikko'sMum
Puppy
Puppy
Mikko'sMum

Female Join date : 2011-04-05

exercise - Puppy exercise Empty
PostSubject: Puppy exercise   exercise - Puppy exercise EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 8:03 pm

Hey everyone!
Just looking for some advice on what kind of exercise I can do with my 11 wk old pup. So far we've just been walking him for about 30 min in the morning and 30 min at night with some sporadic running in there as well as play time during the day. Buuuuut....he never seems to tire out. We get home and he is just bouncing off the walls and nipping at us!!
I have to do something to burn his energy!!
I am a runner and know he's too young to run long distances...but I've heard differing views on when to start him...from 6 months to 2 years.
I would love any advice you guys could give me

-Sarah sunny
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Puppy exercise   exercise - Puppy exercise EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 10:51 pm

get his mind working! you'd be surprised as to how quickly a puppy can tire out when you're training them! start teaching him some commands, like sit, hi-five, down, wait, speak, and whatever else!

another way is a mind stimulating toy! http://www.google.com/#q=dog+puzzle+toys&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=AGqeTeypB4GeOoum-K8F&sqi=2&ved=0CEYQrQQ&biw=1408&bih=624&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=cf06fc54a57f2092
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Puppy exercise   exercise - Puppy exercise EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 11:37 pm

We're struggling with this too, since our puupy trainer says if you can't walk him without him pulling don't walk him. We can go about 1/3 as far as we were going before he begins to pull. But I think Jennet is correct and the mental stimulation of walking on a leash correctly is making him just as tired as the previous 1-mile walks. My kids invented a game they call monster where they walk like a monster and chase him around the house. He loves it! He will also chase an empty 2-liter soda bottle around the house forever. You can give it a good kick every now and then to keep him interested. If you have hardwood floors or tile the noise will drive you crazy, but to me the noise is better than a hyper husky.

You know how people say a tired husky is a good husky? I don't think a puppy is ever "tired" though. He will either be asleep or awake and hyper. Good Luck!
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Puppy exercise   exercise - Puppy exercise EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 11:48 pm

definitely agree with the chasing game, we chase embry and zoey around the house for 15 minutes and they're pooped Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Puppy exercise   exercise - Puppy exercise Empty

Back to top Go down

Puppy exercise

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1