It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Help Husky Mom Harness/collar Issues

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lemonhusky
Newborn
Newborn
Lemonhusky

Female Join date : 2016-05-03

Husky - Help Husky Mom Harness/collar Issues Empty
PostSubject: Help Husky Mom Harness/collar Issues   Husky - Help Husky Mom Harness/collar Issues EmptyMon Apr 02, 2018 12:54 pm

Bandit My lovely escape artist. (I know huskies are known for this)
We have large custom made run linked up between two trees in the back yard- The run is not tight on him or attached to the trees (we have learned)
We have tried  1. Collars,  2. different types of D-ring harness, 3 .Leather ones, and the most recent victim - 4. a sports harness with handle. And my beautiful boy escapes! They last about 4-6 months some not even that long! but he always figures out how to either A) Gets the harness loose and chews the strap in front and escapes. B) Gets them loose and simply "backs out of it" C) Runs back and fourth enough to strain the straps and Snaps them. Once he figures out how to chew out of harness we will do the exact same thing to it if we replace it! I cannot believe it.

1. Metal bucket or plastic snap (the strain from use on buckle tends to loosen the hole and it slips off his head and/or breaks the plastic snap -lasts about 3 months)
2. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pet-Champion-Hunter-Orange-Step-In-Harness-Large/38467420 We have had good luck with these ones they just do not last more that 6 months from wear and tear and
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pet-Champion-Mossy-Oak-Step-In-Harness-Large/38467423?action=product_interest&action_type=title&beacon_version=1.0.2&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&client_guid=1acc9bfd-51e9-4744-3bb3-06ba19f97c2e&config_id=2&customer_id_enc&findingMethod=p13n&guid=1acc9bfd-51e9-4744-3bb3-06ba19f97c2e&item_id=38467423&parent_anchor_item_id=50912572&parent_item_id=50912572&placement_id=irs-2-m3&reporter=recommendations&source=new_site&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id=aMIi6MXCD3sGKb3ASXAUEc the mossy oak one last for about 4 months- then once he broke we replaced it the replacement lasted a week.
3.just a simple leather harness - lasted about 4 days.
4. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/petsafe-easysport-harness?cm_vc=-10005 - this one lasted about 3 weeks and he snapped it when another husky ran through our yard

He is on the Run during the day while we are work (we go home on lunch and check to make sure he is still there) this is his form of exercise while we aren't home.(opposed to being kenneled) And while it always works for him he keeps escaping. When we get home, he comes in happy, wore out from playing, and un-hurt, and his harness/collar comes off. And it set back to the form fitting position from where he has loosened it during the day. then next day we put is back on him and he goes back outside.We have a slip on harness for walks, that works great on rainy days when we don't put him outside and we just go out for walks- but it is no suitable for him being on his run.
I am scared to try a prong collar because he will has a chance of injuring himself. We live out in the country- and wild life(deer, cats, other dogs) around us tends to tease him and he will run full sprint and stop.But some times he won't stop in time and his attachment will stop him causing a "yank" he stand up and continue to bark at the critter. He has learned for the most part to stop so he doesn't injure himself. He runs back and fourth all day and slide in the dirt, plays with is tennis balls, chews up sticks or jumps in the baby pool on hot days.

With all that being said, Anyone suggest a harness or something to save me from having to buy a new harness/collar ever few months?
Deer teasing my boy- wearing the mossy oak harness
Husky - Help Husky Mom Harness/collar Issues Captur10
Happy as can be with one of his collars on
Husky - Help Husky Mom Harness/collar Issues Captur11
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Help Husky Mom Harness/collar Issues   Husky - Help Husky Mom Harness/collar Issues EmptyMon Apr 02, 2018 5:16 pm

There are a lot of things out there that are obviously getting him worked up enough he is willing to break and chew and destroy his harnesses. Probably best to just lock him in a dog proof room inside like a laundry room or garage where everything is picked up if he is too hard on kennels to safely be crated. The crux to being tied out when no one is home, even if the dog doesn't escape, is that anything could eventually walk up and get him, from dog thieves, to mountain lions (if in the area), to other dogs that aren't so interested in just playing.

If tying out is the only option you may need to build something yourself custom or double up your system by running one line on a good tightly fitted harness and a second to a collar (different collar than has tags) that is also tethered to the harness where he basically has to slip both in order to be completely free. Trying to slip one would usually put tension on the other when they are tethered together and separately that will make it harder to slip either. I would not use a prong for anything other than walks when you are there to make sure it is always in the proper location.

Since he is chewing, short of using chain for the majority of the parts he can get his mouth on, that's a hard call. Being out where anything can walk up to him I wouldn't suggest putting a box muzzle on him so he couldn't chew. If he is approached and can't get away then he will need his teeth to try to protect himself and a muzzle would prevent that. You may bitter apple spray his gear and just see if that does anything.

Newborn
Newborn
Lemonhusky

Female Join date : 2016-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Help Husky Mom Harness/collar Issues   Husky - Help Husky Mom Harness/collar Issues EmptyTue Apr 03, 2018 1:38 pm

Thank you for the reply Smile
Thankfully we do not have mountain lions! I am thinking it is out of boredom is why he chews? And the dog thieves thing is a little concern to us we are far back from the road and the back yard is not visible to anyone. Also I dont think anyone could catch him. Bandit's favorite thing to do when you go to retrieve him from the run is play keep away. It get super super frustrating when he does that. He has knocked me, and my husband down more than once with his line. So we take a treat out there to get him off. Doesn't always work but it usually does.
When its raining or at night time He in Kenneled in doors.
Right now since we are in between harnesses he is staying it the Big dog cage/kennel that he walks around in and cries and howls all day because hes not out on his run. That's where he has chewed off two other harnesses. when he snapped his run two separate times. I was just hoping there was so miracle harness!
My husband said its going to be a never ending battle and just to keep doing what we are doing but I am open to suggestions!
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Help Husky Mom Harness/collar Issues   Husky - Help Husky Mom Harness/collar Issues EmptyTue Apr 03, 2018 1:53 pm

Please consider not tying him out attached to his collar.
If he jumps over something and the rope doesn't reach the ground, he'll hang himself.

As for a harness, I recommend one from Nordkyn
https://nordkyn.com/product-category/harnesses/
We have the recreation harness with a belly band.
The belly band is crucial; otherwise the dog can back out.

Perhaps others will weigh in about Ruffwear harnesses, which I know many here use.
Back to top Go down
Husky911
Puppy
Puppy
Husky911

Male Join date : 2017-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Help Husky Mom Harness/collar Issues   Husky - Help Husky Mom Harness/collar Issues EmptyThu Apr 05, 2018 9:30 am

Have you considered getting a martingale collar? Like this one?

=========
http://a.co/fx6Zl2D
=========

All the pull points are metal, the only plastic point is where you adjust the length of the collar.  It's also martingale style, so it applies a small amount of pressure around the neck with pulling.  

No buckles.  You have to loosen the collar to slip it over his head and re-tighten to secure.  While annoying, that's how it's slip proof.  I can't see how he can slip out of this or chew it.  If you put it on tight enough (with only two finger room) around neck it shouldn't come off.

Oh...did I mention it has lifetime warranty? Just keep sending it back if it breaks =P...They will send a new one free of charge no questions asked if you contact their customer service with a photo. I've done it!
Back to top Go down
AmyM
Newborn
Newborn
AmyM

Female Join date : 2011-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Help Husky Mom Harness/collar Issues   Husky - Help Husky Mom Harness/collar Issues EmptyThu Apr 12, 2018 9:34 pm

I second the suggestion of a harness with a belly band. I use the x back harnesses. Some harnesses only come with 1 loop, you can add a 2nd, even a 3rd in case 1 breaks. I hope this solution helps you. It keeps the harness more snug against the body & the belly band stops them from backing out.
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Help Husky Mom Harness/collar Issues   Husky - Help Husky Mom Harness/collar Issues EmptyFri Apr 13, 2018 10:53 am

Suggestions as I used to keep my boy on a runner. Runners and collars are not the best combination as the dog can injury his neck that way with jerking the esophagus or trip flip strangulation.

I like the idea of a belly band harness if he backs out. I did not have that problem mine was chewing at the chest ...I got Lupine harnesses as they are guaranteed even when chewed! I sort of tried them out and keep with them. They do have plastic hardware for buckles but metal D rings. I did notice over time that I had the harness chest piece to loose and when he laid down he could tuck his muzzle to chest and nibble.  Belly bands could be an easy nibble spot.  You could try using a "anti eat" product on the harness to keep his mouth off of.  

I have not tried and I am basing this on opinion...I like the idea of changing the runner to a two line system. The collar line could be a tiny bit looser so there is no choke strangle issue (this is the part that I am not sure of...once set up you could tell if there was a potential for danger). The other line could be the "stopper" line that is handling the jerk and brunt of the securing and this would be attached to the harness.

Lines I learned that it was about every two years max that the lines had to be replaced due to weather. I also learned that it was cheaper to go to a hardware store and get cut by the lines versus shopping precut systems at the pet store. You can buy all the hardware clips, u clamps, etc and only replace the line or the runner line as needed. Ours went from an eye bolt 8' up a tree  to a ground tie out Hurricane example We had a stop on the line so that the runner continued to the tree but the line for the dog stopped prior to reaching the tree.

There is a product I have heard of but have not used that is to ease the jerk ...it is a bungee here is an example JERK EASE  My walking belt has bungees in it and bungees do help the jerk.

I moved and did not need it but I was going to put this ARTICLE to use to revamp my tie out. It might give you ideas.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help Husky Mom Harness/collar Issues   Husky - Help Husky Mom Harness/collar Issues Empty

Back to top Go down

Help Husky Mom Harness/collar Issues

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1