It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Looking for Best Breeder

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
VanDyke2018
Newborn
Newborn

Looking for Best Breeder  Empty
PostSubject: Looking for Best Breeder    Looking for Best Breeder  EmptyTue Jun 05, 2018 1:16 pm

Hello,

I am new to the site, been searching for a local breeder here in Michigan. I am located in Grand Rapids and my fiance and myself are looking to bring home our first husky in August-September.

We do not want just any breeder, but the best possible to get the healthiest husky possible.

I have searched AKC and SHCA but have not had great luck locating breeders.

Is there a breeders contact section on here or someone pass me along to someone?

Thank you,
Zach VanDyke (616-402-5705)
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Best Breeder    Looking for Best Breeder  EmptyTue Jun 05, 2018 4:26 pm

Another member is on the hunt for a good breeder as well. We do not keep an up-to-date list here though are happy to critique any breeder you may run into you are unsure on.

Looking for Reputable Breeder

As you have found breeders seem to come and go. Best route seems to be go to a dog show or AKC event and talk to the people. You want to look for people who work their dogs. Since you are in MI Kanovanda used to be top of the line and they are in your state. You are unlikely to get a puppy from a reputable breeder on your timeline though. They often have their pups sold before they even breed and you will have to wait for the right pup from the right breeder.

Newborn
Newborn
Lukathehusky

Female Join date : 2018-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Best Breeder    Looking for Best Breeder  EmptyWed Jun 06, 2018 1:59 pm

I would love to find a good breeder too. I am wanting another Husky but a little nervous given mine has some heredity eye issues. I definitely want to do my research next time.
Back to top Go down
Jinora
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Best Breeder    Looking for Best Breeder  EmptyMon Jun 25, 2018 9:45 pm

Hi! I'm new to the forum and am on the waitlist for a puppy from Karnovanda, which was mentioned above. Sorry to hijack the thread, but if anyone has more information about what to expect from them as a breeder, it'd be much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Best Breeder    Looking for Best Breeder  EmptyMon Jun 25, 2018 10:12 pm

While I have no personal experience expect nothing but the best from Karnovanda. On that note though, also expect them to be picky about you - they, from what I've read, want nothing but the best for the breed, their dogs and you.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Best Breeder    Looking for Best Breeder  EmptyMon Jun 25, 2018 10:54 pm

Please Share!!
I saw a post on Facebook a picture (left side) of this pure breed #husky that was going to be surrendered to #hempsteadtownanimalshelter As I was walking through the kennels today I saw her sitting in hers, she looked sad & didn't seem to touch her food. Please #share #repost to help this sweet beautiful 1 year old girl named Bella get noticed and find a home ???? #adoptdontshop #rescueadog #fosterrescueadopt #husky #sharetosaveadog @husky.vdos #huskylovers #huskylove @huskyranch #shelterdogsofinstagram #shelterdogs #doginneed #longislanddogs #huskiesofinstagram
Looking for Best Breeder  Fb_img10
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Best Breeder    Looking for Best Breeder  EmptyTue Jun 26, 2018 1:02 am

Karnovanda is a reputable, well established breeder with proven lines. You can't go wrong with one of their Huskies. A few members here have Karnovanda Huskies, they're very beautiful with a distinctive look that says they are a Karnovanda.
Back to top Go down
Jinora
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Best Breeder    Looking for Best Breeder  EmptyWed Jun 27, 2018 11:40 pm

About Karnovanda being picky about me--I thought I'd get kind of a screening from them, to suss out whether I could care for one of their puppies. But when I got on the phone with them, they mostly just told me how much a deposit was and what place in the waitlist I'd be on when they got it. Kind of a terse conversation. Is that normal for a reputable breeder?

There are multiple expected litters which I thought was rare for non-backyard breeders, and I apparently won't know about from which parents until they're born. Is that normal too? I can sort of see them waiting until puppies are born before screening potential owners, but I just want to ask about what is typical for a good breeder. I can see them being too busy to give a spiel to every one who inquires.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Best Breeder    Looking for Best Breeder  EmptyThu Jun 28, 2018 3:06 am

@Jinora In my search for breeders, I found it was mostly the byb/puppymill type breeders that had you fill out a questionnaire type form to find you acceptable for one of their pups or not. I would think Karnovanda would at least feel you out by some questions on the phone first though. My current breeder talked a bit with me on the phone, but didn't directly ask me questions, it was more a sharing of stories type thing where she got to know I've had Huskies my whole life and stuff. My last breeder, was old school (in her 60's and taking over the kennel from her father ) had me send her a "story" by email on things like what my current dog at home (malamute) was like personality wise, past experiences with Huskies including the one that had just passed away (at 17 so he lived a good long life) but it wasn't necessarily a "accept" or "not accept" type thing, I think it was more her making sure the pup I would choose matched in her mind, a compatible companion for my current dog and I. So yeah, I do think it's a bit odd that Karnovanda is not getting a feel for you, but maybe it's just the way things are done nowdays for whatever reason.

Multiple litters...in my opinion, the most important thing is that it's not the same mother having the multiple litters per year. Breeders have usually many dogs, and each pairing is to produce something they desire to see be continued in their lines. So in my mind, they shouldn't be faulted for having more than a litter or two during the year, but it can borderline on becoming more a business than a betterment of the breed type thing. Karnovanda has been about as reputable as you could get in the past, just not 100% positive that they may not have become more interested in becoming a business than what they originated from or not, I don't follow that type of thing (if I'm not currently looking for a pup and I hope I won't have to for a long long time) so hopefully someone  else more educated on that part could help you out.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Best Breeder    Looking for Best Breeder  EmptyThu Jun 28, 2018 10:39 am

Go with your gut when you get closer to time. If you find a breeder you like more between now and when you come up on the waiting list you have the option to drop off the waiting list. make sure that Karnovanda is still using their dogs though. There are a lot of fantastic breeding lines out there that have been around forever. Troika is one, but as the business has been passed on down to the next generation they have become nothing more than a high end puppy mill, shoving out pups with good lineage for no other reason than to fill orders for their dogs based on a reputation that was made many years before that they no longer can truly uphold. Since none of us currently on here have any personal experience with them in more recent times all we can do is vouch for their lineage and the quality they once was. Their breeding ethics for how they are actually running their business though you will have to kinda judge for yourself as that is something that can change with time and changing of the guard. Go with your gut.

Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Best Breeder    Looking for Best Breeder  EmptyThu Jun 28, 2018 8:14 pm

TwisterII wrote:
Go with your gut when you get closer to time. If you find a breeder you like more between now and when you come up on the waiting list you have the option to drop off the waiting list. make sure that Karnovanda is still using their dogs though. There are a lot of fantastic breeding lines out there that have been around forever. Troika is one, but as the business has been passed on down to the next generation they have become nothing more than a high end puppy mill, shoving out pups with good lineage for no other reason than to fill orders for their dogs based on a reputation that was made many years before that they no longer can truly uphold. Since none of us currently on here have any personal experience with them in more recent times all we can do is vouch for their lineage and the quality they once was. Their breeding ethics for how they are actually running their business though you will have to kinda judge for yourself as that is something that can change with time and changing of the guard. Go with your gut.

The only problem with that is a deposit, to be put on a waiting list, is non-refundable. It's ok if you can afford to lose it, I'd even say it's a small price to pay if you find a breeder you are more comfortable with, but it is still a good $200 or so out the window if you do decide to drop out. Deposits are generally only refundable if something on the breeders end happens.

There is one member here who recently got two Karnovanda puppies (one is I think 2 now but the second puppy isn't even 6 months yet, I believe) her s/n is Mersea Lopez. She hasn't been participating on the forum lately (last few months) but if you send a pm it should go to her notifications so she may be able to answer you and address any concerns you may have. I follow her on Instagram as well so I can even shoot her a message to look out for your pm if you'd like.
Back to top Go down
Mersea Lopez
Teenager
Teenager
Mersea Lopez

Female Join date : 2017-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Best Breeder    Looking for Best Breeder  EmptyFri Jun 29, 2018 12:34 am

Terse? Haha Yup, Karnovanda doesn’t need to “sell” you a puppy, so if you found them, you’re doing your homework. They could easily ask 3x their nominal puppy cost. They are bettering the breed and offering exceptional pets (with ideal personality, health, beauty) as pups they decide not to keep and show.

I’m blessed with two and they’re just amazing. My oldest runs a 5K with me every day, and I have fenced acreage, and have them both in weekly agility classes.

Siberian Huskies are a serious commitment. I’d be wary of any breeder who heavily advertises pups as pets. Look for show dogs in the postings with pet-quality dogs as an aside. The litters will be timed and very limited.

Back to top Go down
Jinora
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Best Breeder    Looking for Best Breeder  EmptyFri Jun 29, 2018 9:13 pm

Oh, I've only heard wonderful things about them. I'm surprised not that they weren't trying to convince me but that they didn't want to know more about me (also-side note- by just how little they asked for for a deposit. Not that I wasn't already sure they're not in it for money). I was mostly wondering when in the process they'd check if I'd be someone with whom they would be happy to place their puppy.

The first breeder I was interested in called me immediately to check out my lifestyle and what kind of home I could provide. I imagine that I should expect similar from Karnovanda, but only after puppies are born? I'm just anxious that I may not fit expectations they might have for me and only find out after waiting for so long. For instance, the first breeder told me they would never place one of their puppies with someone who worked away from home during the day, period. Whereas other reputable breeders I spoke to later said they were comfortable with the steps I would take to mitigate being away for work.

edit: btw, I've already sent them a deposit, and they've acknowledged its receipt.

Last edited by Jinora on Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Best Breeder    Looking for Best Breeder  EmptyFri Jun 29, 2018 9:53 pm

No, I don't think they'd wait til after the puppies are born to get more info on you, it would more than likely be during the deposit process, if at all. Once they have your deposit, you are put on the waiting list, then it becomes somewhat of a contract. By taking your deposit, and THEN asking you questions about the soon to be puppy's home, and say it wasn't suitable (I'm sure it is) then they would be breaking the contract by not wanting to provide you a puppy and I believe in that instance, would have to return your deposit to you. Seems an unnecessary hassle to me.
Back to top Go down
Jinora
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Best Breeder    Looking for Best Breeder  EmptyTue Jul 03, 2018 10:11 pm

@Mersea Lopez or anyone else with experience with Karnovanda in particular: Any insights on this front? When would they check who's taking home their puppies? Will I get grilled on how I would provide for a puppy, or do they just have my deposit and only go over a contract when I pick her up?
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Best Breeder    Looking for Best Breeder  EmptyWed Jul 04, 2018 4:18 pm

@jinora Well, I had to satisfy my curiosity so called Karnovanda and Judy's response was simply "At the moment I don't have an puppies on the ground so there's nothing to talk about." When I do, which should be by the end of July, I'll call them and we'll talk then.

I spent an enjoyable roughly 5 minutes on the phone with her - I'm not a phone person, I'd rather type, she'd rather talk.

Sounds like the type of lady I could spend an enjoyable (for me at least) afternoon with.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Best Breeder    Looking for Best Breeder  Empty

Back to top Go down

Looking for Best Breeder

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1