It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

HELP my bf Husky is not eating nor barking

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tyngtyng88
Newborn
Newborn

HELP my bf Husky is not eating nor barking  Empty
PostSubject: HELP my bf Husky is not eating nor barking    HELP my bf Husky is not eating nor barking  EmptySat Jun 09, 2018 12:44 pm

I need help from you guys. My bf and i when for a vacation and we send our dog husky 5 years old under someone's care. But the person that we ask to take care our dog does not take proper care of our dog. Its been 2 days he's starve from food and water and no air-cond! We send him to the vet and the vet said that its loss of water. We try to feed him food but he does not wants any food, he's not active anymore, no more barking, just lying on it's place. May i know is anyone here deal before with this kind of situation. I'll be very glad if you all can help me. Thank you
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: HELP my bf Husky is not eating nor barking    HELP my bf Husky is not eating nor barking  EmptySat Jun 09, 2018 8:39 pm

Tyngtyng, maybe a little more information would help.  Well, I know it would.  You don't mention where you are, but the mention of "no air conditioning" makes me think you might be in someplace warm - which, by itself, shouldn't be a problem but two days without water in a hot environment is really bad for any dog.

You say that he does nothing but lay in its place - is he drinking at all?  I wouldn't be too concerned that he's not eating - that's not good, but if he's as not drinking then you do have a potentially serious problem. The not drinking would be my first concern.  The fact that the vet didn't give you any instructions about how to care for the dog really concerns me, if the dog was dehydrated then a I/V drip wouldn't have been to much to expect.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
tyngtyng88
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: HELP my bf Husky is not eating nor barking    HELP my bf Husky is not eating nor barking  EmptySat Jun 09, 2018 11:03 pm

Hi , I'm from Chongqing China, a very hot place. The vet does not give any suggestions, he just said that it's better that the owner of the dog feed it. Due to my boyfriend and I still overseas , we only can be back few days later. My friend now is taking care of the dog. The dog is still not eating, but they feed him some water . T.T
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: HELP my bf Husky is not eating nor barking    HELP my bf Husky is not eating nor barking  EmptySat Jun 09, 2018 11:29 pm

Okay, according to Accuweather the High in Chongqing today was 90f, the bad news is that humidity is also very high - that's rough on dogs. (I live where 100f is common but the humidity is normally less than 25% which is much easier on the dogs.)

Siberian Huskies will stop eating for the oddest reasons, it's too hot, it's too cold, they can't get out, they can't get in, they just feel like it! I wouldn't worry too much about him not eating till it's more than 3-4 days. Ask them to leave a little food out for him if they can and emphasize that's it's imperative that he ALWAYS have water available to him.

Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: HELP my bf Husky is not eating nor barking    HELP my bf Husky is not eating nor barking  EmptySun Jun 10, 2018 12:00 am

Is your friend taking care of him in your own home, or their home? If it's in their home, he is going through being in a unfamiliar place and not having you there. Not eating, barking could be from missing you. Not drinking, though, is quite serious, especially in such warm weather. Like Al mentions, it is imperative your dog drinks water.
Back to top Go down
R_shepsky
Puppy
Puppy
R_shepsky

PostSubject: Re: HELP my bf Husky is not eating nor barking    HELP my bf Husky is not eating nor barking  EmptySun Jun 10, 2018 9:35 pm

Please tell your friend to read about Heat Stroke in dogs and watch carefully for the symptoms!
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: HELP my bf Husky is not eating nor barking    HELP my bf Husky is not eating nor barking  EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 11:15 am

@R_shepsky those thoughts ran through my mind as well, but the second-hand information doesn't look like heat-stroke. I'm not going to say that I'm not concerned about the animal who's been without water in a hot and humid environment - to do so would be asinine.

The problem I see are 1) we're dealing with a non-native English speaker so their comments may not say all we'd like to see. 2) at the moment we don't know if the current caretaker is the same one who left the dog unfed and unwatered or someone else.

As I said earlier, I'm a lot less concerned, at the moment, about the dog not eating - I'm sure we've all run into those "nope, ain't gonna eat that" moments / days - but very concerned that the dog is getting enough water to supplement what he'll be losing through panting trying to cool himself down to a stable temperature.

Back to top Go down
bluemoods
Puppy
Puppy
bluemoods

Female Join date : 2018-06-14

PostSubject: Re: HELP my bf Husky is not eating nor barking    HELP my bf Husky is not eating nor barking  EmptyThu Jun 14, 2018 1:00 pm

Tell your friend to give the dog cold, low sodium or salt free beef or chicken broth and lots of clean, cool water at all times. He may like the broth, just make sure it has little or no salt in it. I do that for mine when they do the "Nope, too hot to eat." thing. Living in the southern USA, heat and humidity are a summer time staple, not unusual for mine to go three days without eating, then only eat at night, when it's cooler but, they like the cold broth and drink plenty of water.

If the dog eats canned food or raw, freezing the food and, offering it frozen can help too.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: HELP my bf Husky is not eating nor barking    HELP my bf Husky is not eating nor barking  EmptyThu Jun 14, 2018 8:53 pm

I'm.not worried about the not eating in and of its self. However, on the context of high heat and dehydration, gotta tell you, kidney damage comes to mind. Lack of appetite hides along with kidney problems.

Hydration I'd the most important at this time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HELP my bf Husky is not eating nor barking    HELP my bf Husky is not eating nor barking  Empty

Back to top Go down

HELP my bf Husky is not eating nor barking

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1