It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hello Everyone

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bluemoods
Puppy
Puppy
bluemoods

Female Join date : 2018-06-14

Hello Everyone Empty
PostSubject: Hello Everyone   Hello Everyone EmptyThu Jun 14, 2018 12:31 pm

I have four husky/malamute/wolf crosses. Halo - Malamute/wolf age 8 yrs. Silver Husky/Malamute/Wolf age 6 yrs. Knight Husky/Malamute/Wolf age 6 years brother to Silver. Kaila Malamute/wolf age 11 weeks.

Halo was purchased form a reputable breeder - I went to the breeder to get him. Silver and Knight are the choice and runt from a litter I agreed to allow him to sire for the pups at the same breeder. I recently adopted Kaila from a rescue for wolfdogs.

All of them are quirky, fun, wonderful companions.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

Hello Everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello Everyone   Hello Everyone EmptyThu Jun 14, 2018 1:19 pm

Welcome to the forum! Would love to see pics of your four, they mix sounds like it'd make for some beautiful dogs. Love the names !
Back to top Go down
bluemoods
Puppy
Puppy
bluemoods

Hello Everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello Everyone   Hello Everyone EmptyThu Jun 14, 2018 6:10 pm

Halo, with Nikkia, a female that belongs to a friend. Halo is the black one.

Hello Everyone KC0KXSkm

Knight (left) Silver (right) Halo's sons.

Hello Everyone 8NgofbZm

Kaila, 11 weeks old, my newest adoptee.

Hello Everyone XMO0fFLm
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

Hello Everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello Everyone   Hello Everyone EmptyThu Jun 14, 2018 7:10 pm

welcome to the forums. you have a very beautiful pack.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Hello Everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello Everyone   Hello Everyone EmptyFri Jun 15, 2018 12:19 pm

My cousin had a hybrid when i was growing up. Large boy, little higher content, so had to have permits around here and approved enclosure. They are definitely quirky. Very pretty pack you have. Welcome to the forum!

Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Hello Everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello Everyone   Hello Everyone EmptyFri Jun 15, 2018 1:10 pm

My niece also had a 50/50 Sib/Wolf mix, I couldn't get near him, possibly because I smelled of dog.
He was a beautiful dog ... something happened, memory says that neighbors felt threatened<??>, and she had to get rid of him ... he loved her kids and they'd roll in the yard with him but he was absolutely protective of all of them.

You do have a great pack there and that last picture where the puppies looking up with a "Well, what now?" expression is priceless.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
bluemoods
Puppy
Puppy
bluemoods

Hello Everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello Everyone   Hello Everyone EmptyFri Jun 15, 2018 2:04 pm

Thank you all. They are wonderful companions. They are also naturally wary of strangers. Socialization can get them to observe a stranger for a time, then approach but, they will never be the sort to immediately go up to someone they don't know.

I have to have an approved enclosure here, no permits required but, I do have to have a double fence with a three foot space between the fences - state law for hybrids out of fear they could survive in the wild here and, would be a non native species. Rightfully so, my pack could survive, they are fed raw meat and, all but young Kaila know it comes from animals.

We have no animal control out here, only game wardens during deer season. Unless called even the sheriff and state police won't come up this road. (Except the sheriff that is my cousin, he will bring fresh road kill deer to my wolfdogs - better than letting it rot and, saves me money on feeding my pack. My neighbors do the same if they hit a deer and, during hunting season, all of the leftovers come to me. Wild hogs are considered a nuisance animal here so, we get a good number of them too and, they are legal to hunt year around.

I raise chickens and rabbits for both human and dog food and, we buy a calf off a neighbor cattle ranch every year. We maintain a large garden and grow fruit trees and vines. 90% of all we eat, dogs included is raised here, raised on this road, fished up out of the lake or river (both less than a mile away) or, hunted down by us and our neighbors.

Winter diet is more red meat, summer more produce, fish and, pork.

50/50/ meaning it was an F1 or first generation hybrid, are difficult animals to handle. The dame of Knight and Silver is an F1 - her dame is a Husky/Malamute cross and her sire 100% Timber Wolf.

You can still get high wolf content animals from F3 through F5 parents, genetics are a bit random. Toss 50 red (wolf) and 50 black (dog) marbles in a bowl and draw four marbles at random to make a pup. You might get all wolf, all dog, or any combination there of.

That's part of what makes finding a true high content difficult, and also leads to high content animals being sold as low/no content and vise a versa. Add to that that a high content might have more of a dog appearance but be all wolf mentally, or a low content might look like a wolf but, be a dog mentally and, you have a very challenging breed to deal with, even for a reputable breeder.

not a dog for everyone, like huskies and malamutes, they need room to run, lots of exercise and metal engagement or the get bored and restless and, naturally destructive. Wolfdog owners that fail on any one of those points quickly learn that house broken does not refer to where the wolfdog uses the bathroom, it refers to the condition of their home when the wolfdog is left unattended for an hour. The carpet, sofa, doors, corners of walls, cords and cables, the flat screen TV, the telephone handset, shoes, clothes, bath towels, maybe the bathtub if it isn't cast iron - chewed, shredded, clawed - HOUSE BROKEN. LOL.

Worst I got was one futon mattress shredded by Halo when he was eight months old. A friend spent the night and slept on that futon, which Halo thought was his. he got mad and, shredded all four corners during the night because a stranger was in his futon. LOL.

They are all crate trained but, as long as my husband or I are home, the crates are never closed, that's only if we need to leave them home alone, like to go out to dinner or grocery shopping. Those four would wreck my house just playing and counter surfing if they were left to it. As long as they know we're home, they don't counter surf or rampage through the house too badly.

We do get some comical wake up calls ranging from being howled at to being physically pushed out of bed and, mealtime with them in the house is a noisy affair. They know they don't get food scraps at the table and have to lay down at the opposite end of the kitchen but, that doesn't stop them from voicing their displeasure about it. LOL.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hello Everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello Everyone   Hello Everyone Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello Everyone

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: It's A Husky Thing :: The Welcome Mat-