It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

A Good Read on Predation

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

A Good Read on Predation Empty
PostSubject: A Good Read on Predation   A Good Read on Predation EmptySat Jun 23, 2018 10:36 am

https://www.academyfordogtrainers.com/blog/predation-and-dogs-normalizing-behavior
Back to top Go down
bluemoods
Puppy
Puppy
bluemoods

Female Join date : 2018-06-14

A Good Read on Predation Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Good Read on Predation   A Good Read on Predation EmptySat Jun 23, 2018 1:15 pm

He's right, they are predators whom we choose to share our lives with. Sure we'd love them all to be guardians of prey animals and, never hurt them but, that's not what the dog thinks. He doesn't see the bunny as cute, he sees bunny chops that just happen to be hopping around for some unknown reason.

The dog doesn't know the bunny is a pet, it's food and, if he can get at it, he will eat it -"Oh mom got fresh food for me." is all he thinks of that new pet rabbit.

Yes we can train them to leave specific animals alone and, some breeds are bred to herd or work with animals that would naturally be prey but, in the end, the dog is a predator and, just like we ask them not to be upset when we put them in crates and fences, they would ask us not to be upset when they catch and eat a squirrel or rabbit, or any other prey item if they could communicate on our level.

Mine know there are certain cats they can't eat and, they know they can't eat the bird in the house but, beyond those few animals, if it looks or smells like prey, it probably is going to be prey. We live where squirrels, rabbits, possums and armadillos occasionally trespass into their outdoor enclosure despite the double fence and hot wire. Those few critters become prey if the dogs are out when they come in to that pen. So would a stray cat, chicken, or possible a small dog - mine are dog social but, my in laws have one that ate their Chihuahua before they knew that was a potential problem with wolfdogs. It ran and bounced like prey, it was just bathed so, didn't much smell like a dog or any known animal to the wolfdog. Sight told the wolfdog it was prey and, the wolfdog did what instinct told her to do.

Sure they were upset but, once they understood the mistakes they made, they didn't blame the wolfdog for killing the tiny dog and, they took steps to insure that wouldn't happen again.

That's one reason I don't recommend wolfdogs as pets for just anyone. "Oh but it's more Husky than wolf." I hear often. Yes and, that does nothing for the prey drive, Huskies have a strong prey drive too and, there is where you'll have problems and heartbreak if you don't know how to manage the dog properly more than in any other aspect.

As my own experience has taught me, I can socialize my woldfdogs to my cats, birds, rabbits and, my friends small dogs and cats just fine, no problem but, that doesn't mean that my wolfdogs are socialized to all small dogs, cats, rabbits and birds. They make the distinction between those they know and those they don't that are not introduced properly to be seen as something to leave alone. Critters they don't know properly when they aren't with me (out in the pen, off leash in the woods, etc... are fair prey even though they are the same species as familiar, non prey animals to them.

Kaila, Halo, Silver and, Knight play gently and happily with Miss Kitty, Inch High, Scrappy and, Yellow Cat, even let the cats curl up and sleep with them. Other cats, are prey to them and they react accordingly. I raise rabbits for meat, rabbits in that rabbit shed are not prey, they are to be protected and, the dogs sound a warning if anything other than a human or the known cats go in there. Other rabbits are prey. My Conure in the house and, the chickens in my coop are also protected as family members but, any other bird is prey.

Yes, I can introduce new, normally prey animals to them and, they easily accept that I want that animal to be a family member or friend but, it's that one animal only, not every animal of that species.

Owners simply need to know their dogs and, do what they must to keep predatory accidents from happening. We also need to grow a thick skin over our dogs taking prey on those rare occasions when it happens. The dog doesn't know that's wrong, it's right, it's food and, that is survival to them.
Back to top Go down

A Good Read on Predation

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1