It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

My boy has never blown his coat

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GhostyFluff
Newborn
Newborn

My boy has never blown his coat Empty
PostSubject: My boy has never blown his coat   My boy has never blown his coat EmptySat Jun 23, 2018 8:29 pm

Hey guys and gals, I have a husky that is almost two years old(20 months), and he has never gone thru a coat blow. I live in a warm climate, and he sheds a decent amount of fur daily. I feel like his fur is so extremely thick that he struggles in the heat and gets exhausted much quicker than all the other huskies here in my area (which all have way thinner and softer coats). Is this normal and can I ever expect him to go thru a coat blow?  Any special tools you can recommend for dealing with thick long fur? Thank you guys I really appreciate it...

Here you can see him dreaming about squirrels  lol!

My boy has never blown his coat ENCUeTt
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: My boy has never blown his coat   My boy has never blown his coat EmptySat Jun 23, 2018 8:41 pm

His for doesn't look all that thick to me. I don't know how warm you mean by warm climate. It may be that you just doesn't have seasons so his coat is the same year round. Also, I do believe day length is involved in coat blow.

I live up north, my wooly blows his coat once a year hitting its peak in August. My other boy that is older but only been hear a 1.5 years, appears to blow twice s year and is just finishing his spring blow. His coat now looks about the density of your boy.

Hopefully some Texas and Florida people will be chime in.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: My boy has never blown his coat   My boy has never blown his coat EmptySat Jun 23, 2018 11:26 pm

I'm not from Texas or Florida but it gets pretty warm here in Southern California and my dogs have pretty thick coats. Neither one of them has gone thru a full coat blow, just certain places on their body seem to blow at all. Personally, I think a lot has to do with how much they "live" outside, I say this because I know my boy's father and brother who have the same exact type of coat, did full on coat blows and they are not spending any time inside the house whereas mine do, and they live in California as well but more to the north. Like Amy mentioned, a lot has to do with where they live too, areas with more in the way of actual seasons will probably blow more as well.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: My boy has never blown his coat   My boy has never blown his coat EmptySat Jun 23, 2018 11:31 pm

This has been the most my little girl has blown in her 4 years. See that section on her side near her hind leg? That's it! Her and Kohdi have just been blowing little tufts here and there from their necks and sides and hind legs. Kohdi is 5 and he has never even lost as much as Mishka is at the moment in that little section on her sides.

My boy has never blown his coat Image25
Back to top Go down
PollyR
Puppy
Puppy
PollyR

Female Join date : 2017-02-06

PostSubject: Re: My boy has never blown his coat   My boy has never blown his coat EmptySun Jun 24, 2018 3:25 pm

We live in the Houston, Texas area and our winters are very mild and short. Summers are extremely long, hot and humid.  Today we're at 95 degrees with humidity level of 56+, feels like 101.   So Mars who is 3 1/2 yrs is and inside pet.  I don't think Mars has ever really blown his coat. What I consider coat blowing is him getting tuffs and me seeing fur tumbleweeds at home and this occurs around spring. He mostly goes from light to heavier shedding. So maybe lack of coat blowing is due to environment he lives in.
Back to top Go down
CloverField
Puppy
Puppy
CloverField

Female Join date : 2017-11-15

PostSubject: Re: My boy has never blown his coat   My boy has never blown his coat EmptyMon Jun 25, 2018 11:13 am

I live in Florida and Tetra is only almost 9 months old, but so far hasn't really "blown" her coat. She's been shedding since she started using her puppy coat and there have been some times where she sheds more than normal, but never in tufts yet. She seems to have a thinner and slightly shorter coat than one of her littermate in Georgia and another in Canada, but I'm not sure any comparison between the other one in Florida. I know, from what I've read, most huskies in warmer climates shed year round rather than twice a year, but I'm not sure if that's true for all of them. Her sister in Canada is already shedding tufts though, but none of the others really from what I've heard. (I'm in a group chat with all her littermates on facebook so we could all update each other on the pups)
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: My boy has never blown his coat   My boy has never blown his coat EmptyMon Jun 25, 2018 1:44 pm

@Cloverfield - I'm not sure about "most huskies in warmer climates shed year" our high yesterday was 114° and two out of three of my pups have started their second blow of the year! Avalanche (Alaskan Husky) ooes shed year round and has a light blow spring and fall. Normally Sasha and Sky (Sibes) blow when Avalanche does (yeh, hair city!!) but, as I've said, they're both doing a lighter second blow. I'd guess it has something to do with the heat - and it's been HOT!! this year.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
bluemoods
Puppy
Puppy
bluemoods

Female Join date : 2018-06-14

PostSubject: Re: My boy has never blown his coat   My boy has never blown his coat EmptyMon Jun 25, 2018 3:10 pm

We live in southern Arkansas, short, mild winters and, long, hot, humid summers. I find that length of day, or daylight has more effect on coat blowing than weather. Mine normally blow twice a year, spring and fall, much worse in the spring, total coat blow, sweeping up 10 dogs worth of hair daily thing, they get ratty looking, need daily brushing and, there are clumps of fur everywhere for a couple of weeks.

Last spring, Knight had a heath issue that meant I had to keep him indoors from January through April. Well, as soon as he moved indoors, he blew his coat. I have tropical and saltwater aquariums and, I have an indoor green house. All of that has simulated sunlight on 14 hour per day timers and, that was enough to convince Knight that it was spring or summer in January. This year, with him having more outside time and, only coming in at night and for daytime visits, he's back to his normal coat blowing schedule.

Mine will do a third, light blow if weather dictates, this year it got very hot very early so, I had the big blow in February then, a light blow off the three adults in April. My boys are down to little more than their outer guard hairs now but, they love to be outside and, spend most of the day out there, even with a dog door and free access to the house.

Kaila is a puppy, just 13 weeks and is doing a small blow now. I suspect she was never outside before I got her so, her body had no clue what season it was or how long the days were. She knows now and, that puppy fuzz has got to go according to her.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My boy has never blown his coat   My boy has never blown his coat Empty

Back to top Go down

My boy has never blown his coat

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1