It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Adding 2nd dog and exercise concerns

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MyCrookedFinger
Newborn
Newborn
MyCrookedFinger

Male Join date : 2017-06-24

Adding 2nd dog and exercise concerns Empty
PostSubject: Adding 2nd dog and exercise concerns   Adding 2nd dog and exercise concerns EmptySun Jul 15, 2018 12:38 am

I have a 16 month old female Husky and am looking at adding a playmate/companion for her. We are looking at a couple of male Husky mixes that are pretty well behaved. They are 2 and 3 years old. They are both about 5 pounds heavier than my current dog (Natasha).

My question has to do with how to introduce them to off the leash at the dog park. Natasha already is comfortable and comes when called most of the time. I don't know how the new dog would be or how long it may take, if ever, for them to stay together.

There is a fenced dog park about 30 minutes away. The larger, nearer park I normally use is not fenced and only 5 minutes away. I usually take her twice a day.

Should I have one dog free and the other leashed and swap during the time at the park, maybe start with both leashed?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Allen
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Adding 2nd dog and exercise concerns   Adding 2nd dog and exercise concerns EmptySun Jul 15, 2018 11:19 am

Is this question just for the initial meeting? I would say to have both leashed. I think the theory is (there is a sticky on this somewhere in here) one person walks a dog towards you, with the existing dog, at the park, you meet, then you both walk the same direction with both dogs side by side.

I'll try and find the sticky on it for you.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Adding 2nd dog and exercise concerns   Adding 2nd dog and exercise concerns EmptySun Jul 15, 2018 11:31 am

If you go to the "training" section of this forum, there is something called a "sticky" which is in the top section before the new subjects start. There is one titled "how I introduce new dogs" author is: harisse. It explains how to introduce a new dog to a household with an existing dog.

After reading your title in the post though, you're asking about the exercise part so I would say that until you know how your new pup behaves, keep him on a leash. I'd find out as well if he's in a rescue from an escape where they never found his owner, or if he was simply turned in by someone who couldn't keep him. If he's an escaper, it may mean he can never be trusted off leash or he will have to be worked with to get him to that point.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Adding 2nd dog and exercise concerns   Adding 2nd dog and exercise concerns EmptySun Jul 15, 2018 11:38 am

I don't know how to post links from my iPad so here is a screenshot on where the sticky is located. Again, it's in the "Training" section and "how I introduce new dogs" is the last one in the top section

Adding 2nd dog and exercise concerns Image10
Back to top Go down
MyCrookedFinger
Newborn
Newborn
MyCrookedFinger

PostSubject: Re: Adding 2nd dog and exercise concerns   Adding 2nd dog and exercise concerns EmptySun Jul 15, 2018 12:08 pm

Thanks for the reply.

The question is mostly for how would I handle 2 dogs, off leash, at the same time until I get a feel whether I can have both of leash at same time.

We met both dogs yesterday and will bring our dog today to see how they get along, which dog looks like a better fit.

I'll take a look at the Sticky you mentioned.

Artic_Wind wrote:
Is this question just for the initial meeting? I would say to have both leashed. I think the theory is (there is a sticky on this somewhere in here) one person walks a dog towards you, with the existing dog, at the park, you meet, then you both walk the same direction with both dogs side by side.

I'll try and find the sticky on it for you.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Adding 2nd dog and exercise concerns   Adding 2nd dog and exercise concerns EmptyMon Jul 16, 2018 10:54 am

Best bet is to stick to the fenced dog park. You don't really know the new dogs. They may run away from you if not in a fenced area. Not that many huskies can be had off leash. If your girl can be off leash that's great but it's not something you should ever expect from another husky. start with both on leash. Do not allow one to be off leash and the other on. It will instantly create tension that is unnecessary. Best bet, go to fenced dog park or someone's fenced back yard and introduce there. Let someone hold one dog and you take the other and allow them to meet. If you are introducing alone then leave leashes on them but allow them to drag on the ground for easier catching should the need arise. Good luck. Let us know how it goes. Sounds like you have a couple good options for dogs. I imagine it will go fine.

Newborn
Newborn
MyCrookedFinger

PostSubject: Re: Adding 2nd dog and exercise concerns   Adding 2nd dog and exercise concerns EmptyMon Jul 16, 2018 1:59 pm

The dogs met at Humane Society yesterday and after initial growling, they were introduced by spiraling until they got close together.  They got along and we came home with a new dog.

They sat together in the back seat and roamed the backyard without any problems.

I’ll take the extra time to take them to the fenced park.

We also changed the dog’s name so I’ll want to make sure he responds before going off leash at open park.

Thanks for comments
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adding 2nd dog and exercise concerns   Adding 2nd dog and exercise concerns Empty

Back to top Go down

Adding 2nd dog and exercise concerns

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1