It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Grooming a long haired husky - Dingleberry issue

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
arexniba
Newborn
Newborn
arexniba

Male Join date : 2017-07-12

Grooming a long haired husky - Dingleberry issue Empty
PostSubject: Grooming a long haired husky - Dingleberry issue   Grooming a long haired husky - Dingleberry issue EmptyThu Aug 30, 2018 7:16 pm

Okay folks, so very awkward topic here, but I'm not sure if any (or most) of you have experienced this issue? If so, I am looking for some friendly tips and/or advice.

My husky has a very furry backside. When he is clean, he is a beautiful looking dog and I get a lot of compliments. But immediately after he takes a dump, he either has dingleberries stuck on his backside or straight poop stains if he had diahrrea.

Because he has so much fur, it's hard to tell sometimes that he has dingleberries. And when I do notice them, 80% of the time I'm pulling at them with hot water. My dog will cry and scratch me; and, as I'm taking this abuse, my hands smell like poop and I feel like an ass pulling at my dog. I can imagine this process hurts.

I've done my research on the web and even here, and I don't find much info. I was thinking of getting some clippers to trim his back side so this won't happen as much. And I have groomed his backside, but it's just too furry.

Any tips will help!

Grooming a long haired husky - Dingleberry issue Baloo310
Grooming a long haired husky - Dingleberry issue Baloo110
Grooming a long haired husky - Dingleberry issue Baloo210

Last edited by arexniba on Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:23 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Pics added)
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Grooming a long haired husky - Dingleberry issue   Grooming a long haired husky - Dingleberry issue EmptyThu Aug 30, 2018 7:47 pm

We do have some members with longer haired huskies that could be of help when they spot this. If it was me I would pick up some baby wipes and just start wiping his backside after he goes just out of habit or try trimming the hair. While shaving a husky is a no no, an easy snip in a couple spots won't hurt anything.

Newborn
Newborn
arexniba

Male Join date : 2017-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Grooming a long haired husky - Dingleberry issue   Grooming a long haired husky - Dingleberry issue EmptyThu Aug 30, 2018 8:21 pm

TwisterII wrote:
We do have some members with longer haired huskies that could be of help when they spot this. If it was me I would pick up some baby wipes and just start wiping his backside after he goes just out of habit or try trimming the hair. While shaving a husky is a no no, an easy snip in a couple spots won't hurt anything.

Thanks for the response TwisterII. I have added some pictures as reference to my dog.

I have tried using baby wipes (extra strength), but those hard poops can be unreliable. Furthermore, if I am not at home, I don't have a chance to clean him up.

As for trimming, I've been researching this everywhere, and it seems that 9/10 times, people advocate to NOT give them any trims and/or cuts. I don't understand how the backside would make any difference, but I do understand not messing with the rest of their fur as it provides cooling for summer and warmth for winter.

Anybody? Question
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Grooming a long haired husky - Dingleberry issue   Grooming a long haired husky - Dingleberry issue EmptyThu Aug 30, 2018 9:14 pm

I don't need to do this with my wooly... He has nice firm, smooth poops that don't leave detritus. However, is not unheard to do a "hygiene or sanitary trim," a groomer can do it for you or you can yourself.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Grooming a long haired husky - Dingleberry issue   Grooming a long haired husky - Dingleberry issue EmptyThu Aug 30, 2018 10:02 pm

My Sasha isn't a wooley but has longer than average hair and the only time i've had a problem is when her stool is a little "loose."  Maybe not diarrhea (damn, I spelled it right!) but still a little loose and soggy.  Even though Sasha has a lot of hair back there - glorious feathers! - there's seldom any evidence of left over feces.

If his stool isn't really firm - easy to pick up - then before you try to solve the "dirt" problem, you might want to try to firm up his stools.  The reason I comment is that last picture looks like it's source was more liquid than we'd want to see.

Er ... thanks for the pictures, they really do help.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Grooming a long haired husky - Dingleberry issue   Grooming a long haired husky - Dingleberry issue EmptyFri Aug 31, 2018 12:01 am

As others have mentioned, if you get the poop firmer, you won't be experiencing the dingleberries. My two are fluffier than average and only get residue when they've had diareah. And yeah, it's not fun getting it clean, ESPECIALLY when one doesn't exactly want to be messed with back there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grooming a long haired husky - Dingleberry issue   Grooming a long haired husky - Dingleberry issue Empty

Back to top Go down

Grooming a long haired husky - Dingleberry issue

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1