It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Please tell me if it's fine to start potty training my puppy?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dinf22
Puppy
Puppy

Please tell me if it's fine to start potty training my puppy? Empty
PostSubject: Please tell me if it's fine to start potty training my puppy?   Please tell me if it's fine to start potty training my puppy? EmptyFri Sep 28, 2018 12:41 am

What's up guys, how are ya!

My new puppy is 9 1/2 weeks old and he's quite a handful. He has been with us for 6 days now but i haven't started to potty train him yet. I have an area that has a large cloth on top of a plastic film for him to go potty in and to protect the carpet. Since day one he has only been using this area to go potty and never anywhere else! This is good but I don't want to keep doing this because he might get use to it and never break the habit.

I haven't taken him to the backyard yet because I'm afraid he might catch something and get sick, from the dirt  ,grass etc. He's had his parvo and 1 distemper vaccinations.Almost everyone says to keep the puppy inside until all the vaccinations but I wanted to get more opinions, because that seems like a very long time.But I need to start training him to go potty in the yard because although the plastic and cloth protect the carpet, it still badly smells up the whole basement.

Will my puppy be safe from any harm if I only take him to the backyard with his current age and vaccinations?

Thanks for your help!
Back to top Go down
NovasHuman
Teenager
Teenager
NovasHuman

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me if it's fine to start potty training my puppy?   Please tell me if it's fine to start potty training my puppy? EmptyFri Sep 28, 2018 12:54 am

Your yard should be fine, assuming you haven't had an animal on the property in the past year with parvo. The biggest worry for puppies is the parvo virus but generally your yard should be fine, avoid areas that are high traffic dog areas so things like the sidewalk by the road and that sort.

Oh and yes, you should start house training your pup, the longer you have him peeing on his plastic thing the harder it will be to train him out of it, people have the same problem with pee pads all the time.
Back to top Go down
dinf22
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me if it's fine to start potty training my puppy?   Please tell me if it's fine to start potty training my puppy? EmptyFri Sep 28, 2018 1:13 am

NovasHuman wrote:
Your yard should be fine, assuming you haven't had an animal on the property in the past year with parvo. The biggest worry for puppies is the parvo virus but generally your yard should be fine, avoid areas that are high traffic dog areas so things like the sidewalk by the road and that sort.

Oh and yes, you should start house training your pup, the longer you have him peeing on his plastic thing the harder it will be to train him out of it, people have the same problem with pee pads all the time.

Thanks a lot, that's a major relief to hear. And will do, I will definitely avoid those areas!

In theory, do you think it's easier to train a puppy to potty outside who already uses pee pads than a puppy who potty's everywhere? I feel like a puppy who uses pee pads has already a sense of where and where not to go potty making it easier to train vs a puppy who has no clue.
What do you think, is it the same level of difficulty?
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me if it's fine to start potty training my puppy?   Please tell me if it's fine to start potty training my puppy? EmptyFri Sep 28, 2018 1:33 am

Now is the most critical time to start potty training. The longer you wait, the more difficult it becomes.

Yes, dogs who use pee pads will be more difficult to train to go outside, and why now, while he's still a baby, is the time to train him to go outside. Watch for the signs he needs to go, sniffing around urgently, and as soon as you see that, rush him outside. Once he has done his business, tell him what a good boy he is and reward him with a treat of some kind. It should be relatively easy if you can spot those times he looks like he needs to go. I'd remove the pee pad during this training as well
Back to top Go down
dinf22
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me if it's fine to start potty training my puppy?   Please tell me if it's fine to start potty training my puppy? EmptyFri Sep 28, 2018 2:30 pm

Appreciate it guys!
My only concern is I took my puppy outside a couple days ago, and immediately he starting eating anything he saw. He started eating grass and leaves, so I immediately brought him inside,was afraid he might get real sick.
Will he get over this once he realizes it tastes bad? Is this normal, or should I be concerned?
Back to top Go down
NovasHuman
Teenager
Teenager
NovasHuman

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me if it's fine to start potty training my puppy?   Please tell me if it's fine to start potty training my puppy? EmptyFri Sep 28, 2018 5:21 pm

Puppies explore the world with their mouths, if you are really worried about it you can always look up what plants are poisonous for dogs.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me if it's fine to start potty training my puppy?   Please tell me if it's fine to start potty training my puppy? EmptyFri Sep 28, 2018 6:22 pm

puppies will eat everything, have you looked into pet insurance? its nice to have when they are young and getting into everything, we spend half our lives hoping X passes one way or another with these guys!
back yard is fine as long as its your back yard and not being visited by strange dogs you do not know.

as long as you do not treat your yard with chemicals eating grass is fine, he will most likely puke it up if he eats to much, that's normal. watch out for rocks if you have them in the yard, huskies seem to like to eat them....

look into bell training for potty times, i have hear good things about it. also when the puppy is not confined to a small area and you want to make sure they are behaving tether training also works, look that up.

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me if it's fine to start potty training my puppy?   Please tell me if it's fine to start potty training my puppy? EmptyThu Apr 11, 2019 6:44 am

You should always be on the watch for what your husky eats but it's normal for dogs to chew dirt and grass from time to time - quite often they'll eat grass if they've got an upset tummy to help them throw up the bug.

If you're still concerned about potty training, I found this site to be pretty helpful

[url=siberianhuskytraining.net/siberian-husky-potty-training.php]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me if it's fine to start potty training my puppy?   Please tell me if it's fine to start potty training my puppy? Empty

Back to top Go down

Please tell me if it's fine to start potty training my puppy?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1