It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Is he a mix?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Crisssss
Newborn
Newborn

Is he a mix? Empty
PostSubject: Is he a mix?   Is he a mix? EmptyThu Oct 04, 2018 7:21 pm

Hi guys thanks for the ad. Can someone tell me if he looks like a mix or purebred? Thanks for the help Is he a mix? E6411310
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

Is he a mix? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is he a mix?   Is he a mix? EmptyThu Oct 04, 2018 7:35 pm

looks full husky to me, but to know for sure you would have to do a DNA test.
Back to top Go down
Crisssss
Newborn
Newborn

Is he a mix? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is he a mix?   Is he a mix? EmptyThu Oct 04, 2018 7:37 pm

What dna test do you recommend? Is normal for husky to have so long coats?
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

Is he a mix? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is he a mix?   Is he a mix? EmptyThu Oct 04, 2018 7:49 pm

Wisdom Panel or Embark DNA test. some huskies have longer coats wail others have plush or short coats but its normal.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Is he a mix? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is he a mix?   Is he a mix? EmptyThu Oct 04, 2018 9:34 pm

Huskies come in almost all different varieties.  Colour is almost of no consideration - there are a couple that are disqualifiers, since no purebred Husky could be that colour (merle - like an Australian Sheep Dog - was what I was looking for.)

Coats also come in a variety, plush which is longer - like @artic_wind dogs, close - like tetra (@cloverfield) and the disqualified woolly coat

As far as I can see yours is on the border between plush (longish) and a wooly ... doesn't mean that he's not 100% sibe.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Is he a mix? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is he a mix?   Is he a mix? EmptyFri Oct 05, 2018 9:24 am

Hard to tell from that picture. Side view taken on the dog's level would help. That angle looks like could be mixed with Australian shepherd. Mostly the rear end of the dog looks off for husky and legs look unproportionally short. Could be pure but definitely not shandard.

Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

Is he a mix? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is he a mix?   Is he a mix? EmptySat Oct 06, 2018 12:10 am

Beautiful Husky, I love his ears, they're pretty much exactly like my boy, Kohdi. How old is your dog, seems young. More pics would definitely help but you won't find a definite answer here, only opinions, from your average pet owners. When it comes to what is standard for a Husky, even though it is spelled out in a definition, how one interprets that definition, varies widely, even among the more qualified, like breeders and even dog show judges.

You seem most concerned with the length of his coat. Your pup does not appear to be a wooly. A wooly is still a pure bred Husky, but it's coat does disqualify him from conforming to the standard. It's about the only thing about a Husky coat that everyone can agree on. Your pups coat also does not suggest, to me anyways, that it is the result of being mixed with another breed. As I mentioned before, your pup is beautiful, with awesome coloring and markings. There are different lines within the Husky breed, and there are also breeders that mix different lines within their programs, all resulting in coats that can vary from tight and somewhat short coats, to plush fluffy coats, and everything in between. The thing most with expertise on the breed agree on is the coat and body structure not make the dog appear to be heavy, like a freighting animal, an Alaskan Malamute for example, and I don't see that in your pup.

To find out if your pup is mixed with another breed though, your best bet is doing a DNA test and go from there. Wish  I could be more help to you. I just don't see any blatant faults in your dog to suggest he's anything but Husky, and even in purebred dogs, faults can and do happen. Just to a lesser degree in the more reputable breeder programs. Only thing that stands out to me in the pic you posted, is his turned out rear leg, and that could just be a happenstance. If you search here on this site, there is a show dog section that has a really good, long thread on conformation. Maybe take a look at that, see if it helps you any.
Back to top Go down
Jc68
Newborn
Newborn

Is he a mix? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is he a mix?   Is he a mix? EmptySat Oct 13, 2018 3:54 pm

Why would you think he was a mix?
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Is he a mix? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is he a mix?   Is he a mix? EmptySat Oct 13, 2018 5:18 pm

Artic_Wind wrote:

You seem most concerned with the length of his coat. Your pup does not appear to be a wooly. A wooly is still a pure bred Husky, but it's coat does disqualify him from conforming to the standard.

Jimmy - I'm gonna disagree with you on this - those ears with the tufting definitely are a wooly "tell" to me.  Though, the trait does not seem highly expressed in this dog - no real leg feathers, only slightly fluffier on the body. Also - the fur around the face is slightly longer than I see in even very plush standard coat huskies.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

Is he a mix? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is he a mix?   Is he a mix? EmptySun Oct 14, 2018 2:51 am

Smile it's all good, Amy, all we can do is offer our opinions. Only scientific evidence can prove one way or the other, whether this dog is full Husky or not. I looked at the pic and I saw a Husky. . As far as its coat, the main fault for a Huskies coat, is "hair so long as to obscure the outline of the dog"., and this is *part* of the reason a wooly gets disqualified from conforming to standard. One of the other reasons being the Wooly's coat impedes it's function in the snow, example being leg feathers (which this dog seems to lack). It was explained to me here, on this site, just why being a wooly, having leg feathers, impedes its ability to function in the snow...the feathers allow ice to build up on the legs and paws, becoming very painful to the dog. The length of the coat of a wooly (something else I don't see on this dog) doesn't allow the coat to breathe as well and shed water as efficiently as a Husky with  the medium coat, meaning it takes much longer to dry, and in the snow, isn't a good thing. These are the main reasons I ruled out this dog being a wooly.  This particular dog has that tufting by the ears, and what I interpret as a somewhat strange length of hair on its whithers (?) --right behind the neck and going about half way along its back--but lacks the leg feathers and just the overall length of his coat doesn't obscure the lines of this dog, it just wasn't enough for ME to say it's a wooly or a mix. it's a beautiful dog, regardless! I love its look.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Is he a mix? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is he a mix?   Is he a mix? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is he a mix?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: It's A Husky Thing :: The Welcome Mat-