It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Rough play

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Solodolo
Newborn
Newborn

Rough play Empty
PostSubject: Rough play   Rough play EmptyWed Nov 07, 2018 11:22 pm

Hey i have a female husky named Blanca that i have had for almost a year(she was about 4-6 months old when i got her). She is a very high energy and athletic dog that needs at least two 1-2 hr play/exercise sessions a day to drain her energy. My problem(well personally i don't mind the type of play i am about describe but she is my first husky and will take into consideration advice anyone has on the subject) is that most of the time we play it inevitably leads to us play fighting. This usually consists of us switching between being "the chased" and "the chaser", her biting/nipping at my legs or arms and me pushing, leg sweeping, or giving her quick pokes on her body. Recently a family member seen how we were playing and suggested i not play with her in this way. I did/do not agree with this persons take on the matter because ive seen a general consensus online that huskies tend to play pretty rough with each other but couldnt find enough info if its ok for me to engage in this kind of play with her. Some things you may need to know, she has never punctured or bit me hard and i can always get her to calm down when i say play is over. Any advice and/or constructive criticism is greatly appreciated. I apologize in advance if anyone finds anything described above as abuse, i love my dog and would never do anything to intentionally harm her.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Rough play Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rough play   Rough play EmptyWed Nov 07, 2018 11:56 pm

Take this with a grain of salt since I'm a bit older than many here but I tend to rough house with my pups. I have the advantage that they are also getting on in years so they don't play as rough now as they once did.

In my litany of commands I have one - "Enough!"- that means the play has to come to and end *now!!* That normally gets used when someone who doesn't play as rough as I do shows up -or- when they've been playing in the house and things start to go catawampus.

*IF* your dogs will stop on command then I personally see no problem in playing as rough as they want to play. Obviously you're not going to hurt them - intentionally - and they're not going to hurt you - intentionally.

These guys (and gals) like to play rough ... if that family member objects to you playing with your dogs in a way that you all enjoy - I'd say that *he* has a problem, not you.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
glorth2
Newborn
Newborn
glorth2

Rough play Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rough play   Rough play EmptyTue Nov 20, 2018 5:32 pm

Sounds like fun play to me!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content