It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What to feed my 10 month old Siberian Husky girl? I'm so lost!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wolf.lady.dani
Newborn
Newborn
Wolf.lady.dani

Female Join date : 2018-09-14

What to feed my 10 month old Siberian Husky girl? I'm so lost!  Empty
PostSubject: What to feed my 10 month old Siberian Husky girl? I'm so lost!    What to feed my 10 month old Siberian Husky girl? I'm so lost!  EmptySat Nov 10, 2018 9:33 am

Okay. So. My previous dog (greyhound / saluki cross) passed away from cancer. I was very uneducated on canine nutrition back then, and sadly did feed basically garbage. I have been doing so much research on dry dog food since getting my girl (husky), that my head is constantly spinning. I WILL be switching to raw feeding once I move in July or so. My husband and I currently live with roommates and there are just too many people living in this house to efficiently feed raw. There's NO freezer space, nor room in the fridge. I'm also trying to educate myself properly before taking that plunge. Anyways. For now, I am feeding kibble. I have gone through way too many brands up to this point and I would really appreciate some feed back. She was on Blue buffalo when I got her, and I have personally had bad experiences with that brand when I fed it to my cats. So I switched to Taste of the wild. She hated it and refused to eat, so we switched to Science diet. Then I realized how shitty it was. So we changed to Blue Wilderness... she sort of ate it, but wasn't too keen. I do understand huskies can seem picky. But she would go days without eating. And I have had every test known to man done on this dog, and she's fine. She just doesn't like some of these foods. So I recently put her back on Taste of the wild Pacific stream after reading on this blog. She loves it. I mean REALLY loves it. However, her body does not. Her coat is oily, her poops have been continuously runny / yellow and almost liquid. And I do know how to properly switch foods as to not shock the digestive system. I did everything right, and she's continuing to have problems. But she loves the food. So that made it difficult for me. My husband ordered a bag of Canidae Pure Elements. (it arrives today) We are going to transition her into this food slowly. But, I am now seeing bad things about Canidae. (He bought the food trying to help, I didn't have time to read up on it before he got it.) I'm sorry for dragging this post out, but , has anyone fed Canidae? Any advice? Is there a food you would recommend feeding until she's switched to raw? I also looked into Orijen or Acana, but saw that they are possibly being bought out by Purina, which is scary. Because they may change the ingredients without telling anyone. Geez. I'm lost.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: What to feed my 10 month old Siberian Husky girl? I'm so lost!    What to feed my 10 month old Siberian Husky girl? I'm so lost!  EmptySat Nov 10, 2018 3:22 pm

How much are you feeding? Maybe cut back by a third and see if the poops are better? Overfeeding can lead to liquid poop. And different brands/formulas have different calorie/protein/fat content
Back to top Go down
Wolf.lady.dani
Newborn
Newborn
Wolf.lady.dani

Female Join date : 2018-09-14

PostSubject: Re: What to feed my 10 month old Siberian Husky girl? I'm so lost!    What to feed my 10 month old Siberian Husky girl? I'm so lost!  EmptyTue Nov 13, 2018 12:50 pm

She doesn't eat very much. I used to offer her up to four cups a day. But then took it to three cups a day. 1 1/5 in the morning and at night. Now it's only 2 1/2 cups a day. Sometimes only 2. Should I feed less than that? She doesn't get tons of treats or anything either. Only when we train, and I don't give tons. (I use blue wilderness duck treats, and sometimes zukes mini naturals) It's been a few days, and the poops have gotten a little better. No more liquid poops, thankfully. And she seems to feel better. But the poop is still a weird yellow color. I'm keeping a close eye on it, along with her behavior.

As I mentioned, I will be switching to raw later in July. I just want her to be well until then.

Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: What to feed my 10 month old Siberian Husky girl? I'm so lost!    What to feed my 10 month old Siberian Husky girl? I'm so lost!  EmptyTue Nov 13, 2018 1:15 pm

2 cups is the normal daily allotment for many of our dogs here. She's had a lot of transition in a not very long time since she's only 10 months old. I would get a good probiotic and add it to her meals. Maybe give a dollop of plain pumpkin puree in a kong. Canidae is a good quality food. I wouldn't worry much about feeding it. If money is no object though swapping over to a freeze dried raw will help prep her for when you go full raw. I've fed a few different kinds. Grandma lucy's was the easiest to do and mine loved it. They also did well on the Orijen freeze dried but it was a bigger pain to prep. As was Primal. Anything with patties take a while to rehydrate. Frankly, if I could afford it I would feed the freeze dried stuff all the time. It's so much easier and cleaner than full raw. I too feed mostly raw and it is time consuming and messy, but they do love it and they thrive on it. Especially dogs who have allergy issues like one of my males.

PostSubject: Re: What to feed my 10 month old Siberian Husky girl? I'm so lost!    What to feed my 10 month old Siberian Husky girl? I'm so lost!  Empty

Back to top Go down

What to feed my 10 month old Siberian Husky girl? I'm so lost!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1