It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Having an unpleasant time walking my puppy! Need help.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dinf22
Puppy
Puppy

Having an unpleasant time walking my puppy! Need help. Empty
PostSubject: Having an unpleasant time walking my puppy! Need help.   Having an unpleasant time walking my puppy! Need help. EmptyTue Nov 13, 2018 12:17 am

Hey, what's up guys!
My puppy just turned 4 months and i'm having a few issues when we are walking.
We started going for walks about a month or so ago and since whenever he see's another person or dog he will pull hard on the leash and try to lunge at them to go and play or meet them or he will just sit and stare until they leave(Definitely not aggression). Its gotten to the point where if he spots a person or dog on our walk I will have to forcefully pull on the lead for him to follow me again followed by constant look backs. It's like it's his first time seeing another dog or person. Walking with a dog is suppose to be enjoyable....i'm usually frustrated at the end of our walk.

Should I be concerned and try to fix it, or is this normal and he'll get over people/dogs as he gets older and is use to seeing them? If not can you guys help me solve this problems? Thanks for all your help!
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Having an unpleasant time walking my puppy! Need help.   Having an unpleasant time walking my puppy! Need help. EmptyTue Nov 13, 2018 12:57 am

Umm... It's normal puppy behavior. And he needs to be taught how to walk politely on leash. Perhaps a puppy class at Petco, PetSmart or obedience classes.

Here's a very basic primer leash a puppy:

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/training/teach-puppy-walk-leash/
Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

Male Join date : 2017-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Having an unpleasant time walking my puppy! Need help.   Having an unpleasant time walking my puppy! Need help. EmptyTue Nov 13, 2018 2:00 pm

Yep, agree with amymeme!

Also, don't let this lunging/pulling excitement go on too long untrained, because there is a chance it could turn into leash frustration (which can look like a barking rearing howling dog...er, I've been there) or even "reactivity" (which is the scary sight of a dog acting aggressively on the end of its leash).

What helped us is the obedience class, because it taught him to pay attention to me when there are other dogs/people around. Continuing with the lessons from class, I would get his attention and give him a treat BEFORE he went into the crazy Zone. We also would cross the street to avoid passing too closely. A dog at a distance is much less exciting than one 3 feet away!

Months later...we can pass calmly and he understands that we are not meeting that dog - but if he's good, I may let him go sniff the "backtrail". :-) . If I actually stop and chat with the other owner, he knows that he is usually allowed to meet the other dog, and they will exchange polite greetings. (People with unfriendly dogs will have tense body language and scurry off the sidewalk or behind a bush...so it's pretty easy to tell which dogs do or do not like other dogs!)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Having an unpleasant time walking my puppy! Need help.   Having an unpleasant time walking my puppy! Need help. Empty

Back to top Go down

Having an unpleasant time walking my puppy! Need help.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1