It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Can I be sure this is a full Siberian husky?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Febolebo
Newborn
Newborn

husky - Can I be sure this is a full Siberian husky? Empty
PostSubject: Can I be sure this is a full Siberian husky?   husky - Can I be sure this is a full Siberian husky? EmptyMon Dec 17, 2018 10:03 pm

I have been in contact with the breeder and everything SEEMS in order and correct, but I am slightly concerned as he mentioned the AKC papers would not be in by the time of pickup, and offered to mail them to me once they came. Now everything is lined up and seems in order, and my gut is telling me everything is clear, but I felt a second opinion would be beneficial. If everything is right, than she should be about 5 weeks in this picture.husky - Can I be sure this is a full Siberian husky? 20181211
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Can I be sure this is a full Siberian husky?   husky - Can I be sure this is a full Siberian husky? EmptyMon Dec 17, 2018 10:41 pm

At that age, it's really difficult to say that he looks 100%  Maybe at 6 months or better we can look and say "Yep, he's a Sibe!" but then it's still a (hopefully) educated guess.

There've been more than one litter that was bred, literally, through the fence - and unlike humans, a female can be bred by more than one male during a single heat.  

Well, what about the papers?  I think you'll find that many of us question the validity of any registries papers; some are better, some are worse but they all make the assumption that all the puppies of a single litter are bred by the sire and dam on the registration papers.  (( My understanding is that the breeder should have registered the litter when it was born and you can then convert that to your single pup.  Can anyone clarify that for me? ))

So, what about a DNA test?  The better DNA test will say that they can determine the breed back through three generations.  If your grandfathers dog 'got' Miss Nanuki whose offspring were then bred to Sibes, for a few generations then the chances are good that DNA will show 100% Sibe - even though it's not.

Can you be 100% certain that the dog you're buying is 100% Sibe - probably not.  (( er, that's one man's opinion, yes? ))  If the breeder can provide the papers on this pup then you're accepting his word that the listed sire and dam are in fact the parents ... if they are the parents then you're accepting the registrar's word that the papers are really accurate.  

If you want the puppy - and are intending him as a house pet not a breeding dog - then go with your heart.  If something feels just wrong then go with that; if you really love what you've seen of the puppy then whether he's 100% isn't going to really matter ... is it???

ETA: er... in your picture he looks like a Sibe, but he also looks like he might be a wooley or at least a more than average fluffy coat. Did you see the parents when you visited the breeder or did he provide pictures??

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Febolebo
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Can I be sure this is a full Siberian husky?   husky - Can I be sure this is a full Siberian husky? EmptyMon Dec 17, 2018 10:54 pm

These were the pictures provided by the breeder of the parents, so it isn't hard to imagine the pups having fluffy coats lolhusky - Can I be sure this is a full Siberian husky? 20181213
husky - Can I be sure this is a full Siberian husky? 20181212
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Can I be sure this is a full Siberian husky?   husky - Can I be sure this is a full Siberian husky? EmptyTue Dec 18, 2018 8:39 am

Can someone help me here. The AKC consider "Faults - Long, rough, or shaggy coat; texture too harsh or too silky."

(( the following is my opinion, take it with a grain of salt ))
The red dog in these pictures (badly in need of a good brushing!) is a fluffy puppy but not overly so. The black dog appears to be a full on woolly.

Question: Since being overly long or rough is considered a fault by the AKC, can a woolly be registered??

The reason for my question @Febolebo is that if the second dog is a woolly and cannot be registered, you may find yourself waiting a long time for those AKC papers.

Again my comment that if you're looking for a puppy to have as a neutered house pet then don't let the lack of papers dissuade you. If you're looking for a breedable dog then these are both far enough out of standard that I wouldn't consider any of their offspring.

I have three dogs, two have short tight coats - the other one has a coat similar to the red one, be prepared for a lot of loose, flying hair!! That's all too common with a dog with a good coat, as shaggy as his parents are, I think you'd have much more hair and a bigger task keeping him properly groomed.

As a matter of explanation @Febolebo, remember that Huskies were bred as sled dogs. From the Arctic, they were expected to run well in snow. When a dogs hair is so long that snow clumps on it then that impedes their ability to run well (it also draws body heat away from the dog, not good at -40) so being a woolly is literally a potentially fatal fault where the breed is being used as intended.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Can I be sure this is a full Siberian husky?   husky - Can I be sure this is a full Siberian husky? EmptyTue Dec 18, 2018 10:23 am

I wouldn't support a breeder who isn't breeding for health and to better the breed. As mentioned previously, wooly coats are a fault and therefore should not be purposely bred. This person is doing just that and therefore is in it for (most likely) money and not the betterment of the bred. I would run far far away from this "breeder".

Newborn
Newborn
TubbaHusky

Female Join date : 2018-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Can I be sure this is a full Siberian husky?   husky - Can I be sure this is a full Siberian husky? EmptyThu Dec 20, 2018 12:12 pm

Have you seen the papers for the parents? In order to get papers for the pup the sire and dam must have papers registered too, and I thought Wollys shouldn’t be bred anymore?

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Can I be sure this is a full Siberian husky?   husky - Can I be sure this is a full Siberian husky? EmptyFri Dec 21, 2018 12:03 am

Mom looks very pregnant in this pic, would probably explain the shaggy look to her coat, that and it's the season for coat blowing for many. Pretty dogs. Pup looks like it will be a wooly, and not just very plush.

As far as the papers...I'm trying to remember but I do believe I did have papers mailed to me with one of my past huskies. I really can't be 100% certain though. With woolies, I do believe they can be registered with the AKC, they wouldn't meet conformation standards for the Husky though so they could never compete in showing and such. It's not something a breeder should be breeding for either as it does nothing to preserve the integrity of the breed. They make wonderful pets though, but require a bit of extra care as compared to huskies with standard coats. I'd suggest having the breeder put something in writing as far as the papers are concerned, just not sure if it will help you any.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Can I be sure this is a full Siberian husky?   husky - Can I be sure this is a full Siberian husky? EmptyFri Dec 21, 2018 12:11 am

Woolies can be registered and they can be bred. They SHOULDN'T be bred and the coat is a fault as far as I can read by the standard, though I'm surprised it isn't outlined as a DQ tbh. The coat snowballs horribly and is not functional or suitable for a working dog such as the siberian husky.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Can I be sure this is a full Siberian husky?   husky - Can I be sure this is a full Siberian husky? EmptyFri Dec 21, 2018 12:14 pm

What Megan said. But what I find interesting, a few years ago, a very knowledgeable member here who both bred and ran siberians posted some very old pics from the original dogs with the (Spelling probably butchered) Chutski indians and I was very surprised to see their coats were AT LEAST as full as Ami's and most even thicker/longer. Surprised because, as Megan says, the coat snowballs horribly and takes days to dry when only toweled.
Back to top Go down
DYaugo
Newborn
Newborn
DYaugo

Male Join date : 2016-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Can I be sure this is a full Siberian husky?   husky - Can I be sure this is a full Siberian husky? EmptyFri May 17, 2019 9:50 pm

I think the ears should be more upward and pointed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can I be sure this is a full Siberian husky?   husky - Can I be sure this is a full Siberian husky? Empty

Back to top Go down

Can I be sure this is a full Siberian husky?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1