It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

first time husky owner

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rossingersoll
Puppy
Puppy
rossingersoll

husky - first time husky owner Empty
PostSubject: first time husky owner   husky - first time husky owner EmptyMon Dec 24, 2018 7:24 am

Just picked up my little princess Kiki yesterday. Shes 3/4 husky and 1/4 gsd. Been reading these forums for a week or two so i would be ready or somewhat ready.

First day was taxing on the little one. She got sick in the car and being the first day had alot to adjust to. I do have a couple questions...

1: when we first got to my home i placed her down outside to use potty but five seconds later she bolted like an escaped convict trying to get out of prison. Now i ise a leash, shes not freaked out with the leash but just sits outside and stares at me . thats it. Sometimes whines to go back in. Shes not had any accidents in the house but had one in her crate when she was throwing a tantrum overnight. Any advice?

2: she stays under a table. She cant be scared of me, she will let me pet her, if i lay on the floor she will even lay with me but the second i sit up , shes back under the table. Is this just due to a new home and being separated from her dog family?

Last edited by rossingersoll on Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
rossingersoll
Puppy
Puppy
rossingersoll

PostSubject: Re: first time husky owner   husky - first time husky owner EmptyMon Dec 24, 2018 7:46 am

I should also add its not just living room table. Its the table, kitchen table and sometimes crate if the door is left open
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: first time husky owner   husky - first time husky owner EmptyMon Dec 24, 2018 12:11 pm

How old? She may be more things then some but all docs need some time getting used to the new environment. Pick a routine, stick to it, routine keeps things predictable her, let her come to you as she gets accustomed get new environment.
Back to top Go down
rossingersoll
Puppy
Puppy
rossingersoll

PostSubject: Re: first time husky owner   husky - first time husky owner EmptyMon Dec 24, 2018 12:18 pm

7 weeks. Today shes doing a little better. She went outside and is coming out from under the table more. Even laid at my feet. Ive noticed when i stand over her she runs back so im watching my movements. husky - first time husky owner 20181212
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: first time husky owner   husky - first time husky owner EmptyMon Dec 24, 2018 6:07 pm

7 weeks is a bit early to leave mom and siblings. They learn a lot about bite inhibition, dog on dog behavior in the last few weeks. 8 weeks is kind of minimum, 10 or 12 even better.

Are you sure she is even 7 weeks?
Back to top Go down
rossingersoll
Puppy
Puppy
rossingersoll

PostSubject: Re: first time husky owner   husky - first time husky owner EmptyMon Dec 24, 2018 7:05 pm

My bad, looked at immunization records, shes 8 weeks. Shes done much better in day 2, last four times went potty outside and is now being more social.  Had a houseful today and she was just fine, soaking up the attention.  I still have noticed that whem i am sitting or kneeling shes comes to me and acts fine but when im standing she seems a little put off .

Outside of those records how would i find out with it not being registered due to not being purebred?  Im taking her to my vet next week for a checkup, would she be able to do that? But to answer your questions, no I am not sure outside what I was told and the previously mentioned records.
Back to top Go down
Nogette
Newborn
Newborn
Nogette

PostSubject: Re: first time husky owner   husky - first time husky owner EmptyWed Dec 26, 2018 1:34 am

Honestly, I wouldn't be too concerned.

I got my Sasha at 7wks and 5 days, just due to that being how things worked out logistically (not ideal but it was close enough).  She was extremely timid about new experiences for a while.  Hiding and shaking quite often anywhere but at home. She was well and truly over it by about 3 and a half months old.

I now have the other problem, she's absolutely certain everyone in the world, human or dog, wants to be her friend, and she's more than willing to run off and say hi.

My kids sometimes leave the door open and let her out, and she's friends with all of our neighbours now.  She happily includes them all in every game of "I'm outside now, you gotta catch me!"
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: first time husky owner   husky - first time husky owner EmptyThu Jan 03, 2019 1:36 pm

<< laughing >> I have one that's like that - everyone is a friend!! I've found the solution for when he gets out is to ask whoever he goes toward to get his collar and hold him for me. If he weren't friendly then this might be problematic but since he's just an overgrown puppy (at 8+ years!) if they pet him I can get there and retrieve him!!

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
rossingersoll
Puppy
Puppy
rossingersoll

PostSubject: Re: first time husky owner   husky - first time husky owner EmptySun Jan 27, 2019 8:11 am

amymeme wrote:
7 weeks is a bit early to leave mom and siblings.  They learn a lot about bite inhibition, dog on dog behavior in the last few weeks.  8 weeks is kind of minimum, 10 or 12 even better.

Are you sure she is even 7 weeks?

you ended up being correct, my vet seems to think she was 6 and a half to 7 when i got her.
Back to top Go down
huskybaby
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: first time husky owner   husky - first time husky owner EmptySun Jan 27, 2019 5:42 pm

Cute dog. Looks more husky.
Back to top Go down
rossingersoll
Puppy
Puppy
rossingersoll

PostSubject: Re: first time husky owner   husky - first time husky owner EmptySun Jan 27, 2019 6:06 pm

huskybaby wrote:
Cute dog. Looks more husky.

thank you, this is recent

husky - first time husky owner EWdrwWD
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: first time husky owner   husky - first time husky owner EmptyMon Jan 28, 2019 11:15 am

Aww....she's growing like a weed.

PostSubject: Re: first time husky owner   husky - first time husky owner Empty

Back to top Go down

first time husky owner

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1