It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Husky cough

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zacka33
Newborn
Newborn

husky - Husky cough Empty
PostSubject: Husky cough   husky - Husky cough EmptyTue Jan 22, 2019 6:25 pm

Hello,
My 4 year old husky has been coughing a lot recently. After about 2 weeks, I took her to the vet to get it checked out. After taking 2 weeks worth of antibiotics and cough medicine, the cough hasn’t gone away or gotten any better. It’s a hacking cough with a gag or a burp at the end of it. The only thing that seems to cure/suppress it is Benadryl. Her energy levels and appetite have not decreased. Any thoughts/advice?
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Husky cough   husky - Husky cough EmptyTue Jan 22, 2019 9:26 pm

Was she checked for heartworm? I remember reading heartworm can lead to coughing.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Husky cough   husky - Husky cough EmptyTue Jan 22, 2019 10:43 pm

Not to scare you but there seems to be a connection to certain diets and cardiomyopathy. Heart problems can cause coughing but i would definitely request the vet do a heartworm test.
Back to top Go down
Zacka33
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Husky cough   husky - Husky cough EmptyWed Jan 23, 2019 12:17 am

I’m going to get a heatworm test done this week and get her heart checked as well. It just seems odd that Benadryl fixes the problem. About an hour after she takes it, there is no coughing whatsoever. That leads me to believe it is allergy related. Possibly mold in the air vents or something. But I still plan on getting her tested to rule out the more serious conditions.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Husky cough   husky - Husky cough EmptyWed Jan 23, 2019 10:46 am

Heartworm test and a chest xray if you can afford it. they should do a nasal swab as well to check for eosinophils that will let you know if it's allergy related. Reason for chest xray possibly would be to look for potential lung disease or other heart issues. I have a male husky that developed eosinophilic bronchopneumopathy around the age of 4, which is basically an allergic reaction that the body can't stop having. It started as a cough, then the cough eventually led to hacking up white drool and foam, and eventually his head plugged up where he couldn't breathe. The thing with EBP though is it only reacts to prednisone and benedryl did nothing for it really.

Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Husky cough   husky - Husky cough EmptyWed Jan 23, 2019 10:58 am

Years ago i brought a dog (turned out to be a wolf/malamute)back from Israel. About 3 months after he came to the us he got a really bad cough he couldnt shake. Thankfully i had a vet in the family that was local and all the tests for everything came back negative so we started looking at the environment.I was running the family farm and had way to many horses so eventually things with roeh got sidelined. Took him to pa camping and the coughing stopped. Went home 10 mins in the barn it was back. As rare as it was turned out roeh was allergic to horses. Because ive been there i can think of about 50 things that arnet dcm or kennel cough or heartworm that it could be. If the money isnt the issue i personally would rule out anything life threatening and then go from there
Back to top Go down
Zacka33
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Husky cough   husky - Husky cough EmptyWed Jan 23, 2019 11:19 am

Thank you for all the feedback. I’ll get X-rays and other tests done to rule out life threatening conditions. I moved from pa to Maryland a few months ago. A month or two after moving is when it started. Since her appetite, temperature and energy level is staying consistent, I’m hoping it is just something minor.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Husky cough   husky - Husky cough EmptyWed Jan 23, 2019 11:32 am

What part of md my family is there
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Husky cough   husky - Husky cough EmptyWed Jan 23, 2019 11:58 am

If the Benadryl stops the cough, my money is something allergy mediated, possibly plain ordinary asthma. But, I would agree to to rule out life threatening stuff first.
Back to top Go down
Lyndad925
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Husky cough   husky - Husky cough EmptySun Feb 17, 2019 11:25 pm

My Husky started wheezing and antihistamines worked but then we found out it's not uncommon for Shepherds and Huskies to get a paralyzed larynx so her throat wasn't opening and closing well. A very smart doctor recognized it did a scope with a camera and identified and confirmed. We had surgery to tie back the larynx and she lived for another full healthy year
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Husky cough   husky - Husky cough Empty

Back to top Go down

Husky cough

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1