It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

8 w/o German Shepherd Husky mix only 3.3 lbs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
misa-chhan
Newborn
Newborn
misa-chhan

8 w/o German Shepherd Husky mix only 3.3 lbs Empty
PostSubject: 8 w/o German Shepherd Husky mix only 3.3 lbs   8 w/o German Shepherd Husky mix only 3.3 lbs EmptyWed Feb 27, 2019 8:47 pm

Hello,
I picked up a german shepherd husky mix puppy 3 days before she turned 8 weeks. When we took her to the vet to get shots, she only weights 3.3 lbs Neutral Vet commented that she's small for that mix, but did not raise any concerns. All her puppy teeth are present and displays signs of being 8 weeks old. Also, her bark has developed in the 1 week we've been with her.

Should I be worried about her weight?
Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

Male Join date : 2017-11-03

PostSubject: Re: 8 w/o German Shepherd Husky mix only 3.3 lbs   8 w/o German Shepherd Husky mix only 3.3 lbs EmptyWed Feb 27, 2019 10:57 pm

I don’t know?

But just wanted to say Hi from another shepsky owner.  wave
When I adopted mine, he was full grown and about 70 lbs...so I am no help!

She is going to be a looker!
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: 8 w/o German Shepherd Husky mix only 3.3 lbs   8 w/o German Shepherd Husky mix only 3.3 lbs EmptyThu Feb 28, 2019 12:08 am

Squirt looked like that as a puppy and she stayed small at 38 lbs. We were told she was a sibe/German shepherd turns out no German shepherd but i do get asked if she is a mini germa. Shepherd quite a bit
Back to top Go down
misa-chhan
Newborn
Newborn
misa-chhan

PostSubject: Re: 8 w/o German Shepherd Husky mix only 3.3 lbs   8 w/o German Shepherd Husky mix only 3.3 lbs EmptyThu Feb 28, 2019 12:34 am

That's quite reassuring! Do you remember how much Squirt weighed and when the growth spurt started?
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: 8 w/o German Shepherd Husky mix only 3.3 lbs   8 w/o German Shepherd Husky mix only 3.3 lbs EmptyThu Feb 28, 2019 12:37 am

No just that she seemed really small and all fluff. But at that time i also had a 170 lb rottie (he died a few years ago) so small may just be my perspective. Squirt will be 7 on 911 so its been awhile
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: 8 w/o German Shepherd Husky mix only 3.3 lbs   8 w/o German Shepherd Husky mix only 3.3 lbs EmptyFri Mar 01, 2019 10:54 am

It is small for that mix, but, similar to Emily, you may do a dna test and find out that the mix claim isn't correct and there's something else in there that the size is coming from. I've had cats that weigh more than that at 8 weeks old. that doesn't mean there's anything wrong though. Just monitor. As long as energy levels are good, you are getting good bowel movements, and a consistent appetite all should be fine. A fat puppy isn't a good thing. You want to have a nice steady growth but want pup to remain svealt to keep excess unneeded weight off growing joints. They are all different and grow at their own pace.

Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: 8 w/o German Shepherd Husky mix only 3.3 lbs   8 w/o German Shepherd Husky mix only 3.3 lbs EmptyFri Mar 01, 2019 11:52 pm

Squirt before she got fat. Also ive never seen feathers or that kind of tail on either a husky or a gsd and she was dna tested becausethe vet at the military base we lived on was conviced she was part coyote which wouldn't be allowed in housing 8 w/o German Shepherd Husky mix only 3.3 lbs 20150710
Back to top Go down
TheFluffisReal
Puppy
Puppy
TheFluffisReal

Female Join date : 2019-02-02

PostSubject: Re: 8 w/o German Shepherd Husky mix only 3.3 lbs   8 w/o German Shepherd Husky mix only 3.3 lbs EmptySat Mar 02, 2019 3:50 pm

Lostmaniac wrote:
Squirt before she got fat. Also ive never seen feathers or that kind of tail on either a husky or a gsd and she was dna tested becausethe vet at the military base we lived on was conviced she was part coyote which wouldn't be allowed in housing 8 w/o German Shepherd Husky mix only 3.3 lbs 20150710

So, um... Like, this vet does know that mixes with coyotes are extremely rare, right? They generally never breed in urban areas anyhow. If you're still dealing with this person let them know a few things... Coyotes and dogs don't share the same breeding seasons. If you do happen to have a very rare mix coydogs actually have lower fertility than both domestic dogs and coyotes. Domestic dogs are not descended from wolves. They are descended from a cousin of the wolf. That vet is, in my opinion, being silly.

Op, I generally have only had mixed dogs. Most of the time I prefer to rescue, I'm not saying that breeding is a bad thing or that buying a purebred is a bad thing either. We got our huskies from a breeder. However, in my experience mixes tend to be questionable. I think it can be a little fun to try and figure it out but with a mixed pup you just never know. If you're concerned watch how much your pup eats. Watch for watery stools and discolored stools. Check the belly, if it's bloated there maybe an issue.

And if you're really, really worried a vet check up can set you at ease. In the case of our mixed Saint we had to watch out because he has an umbilicus. He still has it, it's a cosmetic thing. But we kept an eye on it. Your dog could also shoot up once it hits a certain age. Or it could be smaller. Love the picture, can't wait for more. I think the guessing is part of the fun.
Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

Male Join date : 2017-11-03

PostSubject: Re: 8 w/o German Shepherd Husky mix only 3.3 lbs   8 w/o German Shepherd Husky mix only 3.3 lbs EmptySat Mar 02, 2019 5:12 pm

Wow, I would totally think GSD mix if I saw Squirt!
That Black and Tan coloring, pricked ears...
and tail looks husky.
I guess you can not go just by looks?!
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: 8 w/o German Shepherd Husky mix only 3.3 lbs   8 w/o German Shepherd Husky mix only 3.3 lbs EmptySat Mar 02, 2019 5:27 pm

[quote="TheFluffisReal"]
Lostmaniac wrote:

So, um... Like, this vet does know that mixes with coyotes are extremely rare, right? They generally never breed in urban areas anyhow. If you're still dealing with this person let them know a few things... Coyotes and dogs don't share the same breeding seasons. If you do happen to have a very rare mix coydogs actually have lower fertility than both domestic dogs and coyotes. Domestic dogs are not descended from wolves. They are descended from a cousin of the wolf. That vet is, in my opinion, being silly.

https://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/yes-eastern-coyotes-are-hybrids-coywolf-not-thing/

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/publications/wildlife_damage/content/printable_version/coyote_Dec2011.pdf: "In urban environments, dens can be in storm drains,
under storage sheds, in holes dug in vacant lots,
parks, or golf courses, or any other dark, dry place."
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: 8 w/o German Shepherd Husky mix only 3.3 lbs   8 w/o German Shepherd Husky mix only 3.3 lbs EmptySat Mar 02, 2019 5:50 pm

Thefluffisreal squirt was born in a very desolate area of the Navajo nation in new mexico. Red wolf and coyote crosses arnt common but they happen out there. The air force has very strict rules about breeds not allowed in housing so any animal suspected of being a pitt mix wolfdog coyote akita and about 30 other breeds are not allowed in housing. I saw squirts dam she was an akc agouti sibe but on the small side. I saw dad from a distance he looked like a small german shepherd but was feral on the rez. And also you think its laughable that a vet would think coyote but squirt has some weird features not normally seen in dogs.
Back to top Go down
TheFluffisReal
Puppy
Puppy
TheFluffisReal

PostSubject: Re: 8 w/o German Shepherd Husky mix only 3.3 lbs   8 w/o German Shepherd Husky mix only 3.3 lbs EmptySat Mar 02, 2019 6:04 pm

Lostmaniac wrote:
Thefluffisreal squirt was born in a very desolate area of the Navajo nation in new mexico. Red wolf and coyote crosses arnt common but they happen out there. The air force has very strict rules about breeds not allowed in housing so any animal suspected of being a pitt mix wolfdog coyote akita and about 30 other breeds are not allowed in housing. I saw squirts dam she was an akc agouti sibe but on the small side. I saw dad from a distance he looked like a small german shepherd but was feral on the rez. And also you think its laughable that a vet would think coyote but squirt has some weird features not normally seen in dogs.  

Wow! Yeah, when you say that I can understand the crosses but ah that dog does not look anything like coydogs. Sure, she has some different sort of features but coyote? Nah. I had no idea about the air force and breed restrictions that's crazy. My husband is an army veteran. They have breed restrictions based on where you PCS to but it's not too crazy and you can easily fight it. I had a friend whose dog was a "pit," and he fought it and won. They have a big issue with pits it's weird. I mean "pit," isn't even a breed.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: 8 w/o German Shepherd Husky mix only 3.3 lbs   8 w/o German Shepherd Husky mix only 3.3 lbs EmptySat Mar 02, 2019 6:16 pm

Size tooth spacing and a functional precaudal gland on her tail. Yeah pit bulls not allowed but call it an American bulldog or a Staffordshire terrier and its all good (except in abq they are crazy picky)
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: 8 w/o German Shepherd Husky mix only 3.3 lbs   8 w/o German Shepherd Husky mix only 3.3 lbs EmptySat Mar 02, 2019 6:23 pm

Squirt with shadow the gsd who is 5 months in this pic for size idea8 w/o German Shepherd Husky mix only 3.3 lbs Img_2010
Back to top Go down
TheFluffisReal
Puppy
Puppy
TheFluffisReal

PostSubject: Re: 8 w/o German Shepherd Husky mix only 3.3 lbs   8 w/o German Shepherd Husky mix only 3.3 lbs EmptySun Mar 03, 2019 3:06 pm

@Lostmaniac, She is so adorable. I love her tail.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 8 w/o German Shepherd Husky mix only 3.3 lbs   8 w/o German Shepherd Husky mix only 3.3 lbs Empty

Back to top Go down

8 w/o German Shepherd Husky mix only 3.3 lbs

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1