It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Looking for a husky mix puppy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
khaliwell
Newborn
Newborn

husky - Looking for a husky mix puppy Empty
PostSubject: Looking for a husky mix puppy   husky - Looking for a husky mix puppy EmptyThu Mar 07, 2019 9:07 pm

Hi there!

First of all, I'm sorry if this isn't allowed. But, I am interested in getting a Husky / German Shepard mix and was wondering if anyone here knew of any reputable breeders I might be able to contact.

I live near Reno, Nevada so a breeder on this side of the country would be ideal but not required. That said, I am in the United States haha.

Thanks for the help!
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a husky mix puppy   husky - Looking for a husky mix puppy EmptyFri Mar 08, 2019 10:29 am

A reputable breeder breeds for the betterment of the breed. They will not mix. This particular combination actually shows in shelters quite often. I would check your local pounds and shelters.

Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

Male Join date : 2017-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a husky mix puppy   husky - Looking for a husky mix puppy EmptyFri Mar 08, 2019 10:39 am

My shepherd-husky mix came from the death list at a shelter.

I just want to say, it's an unpredictable mix from what I hear. Mine looks more like a big white husky, but acts more like a GSD (obedient, aloof to strangers, protective of house) Others look more like GSDs yet act like huskies (friendly, talky, escape artists, stubborn, love to run). It can really be any mix of looks/temperament coming out of that same litter...

So although they both look like "wolf dogs", they have such different personalities. If you are looking for your dog to 'be' a certain way, I might research and then choose one breed or the other (and forget about a mix)....
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a husky mix puppy   husky - Looking for a husky mix puppy EmptyFri Mar 08, 2019 11:56 am

@khaliwell  I'm (one of) the resident curmudgeons and I'll try to expand a bit on what others have said.

As @twisterii said, a breeder won't mix breeds.  A good breeder will breed for the betterment of the breed.  In Huskies you want the speed and endurance for long 'hikes' in cold weather.  In GSD's you want an obedient, protective dog.  Huskies are definitely not (generally) protective - they're everyone's best friend.  While a GSD might have reasonable endurance, I seriously doubt they could handle the rigors of a long (many mile long!) trek through sub-zero temperatures.  
When someone mixes the breed you never really know what you're going to end up with - a GSD who loves everyone?  A Husky who doesn't want to run?  As @Shepsky13 says, that's an unpredictable mix.

Simply stated, you aren't going to find a reputable breeder who knowingly will provide you with a Husky/GSD mix.

Again, I'm reiterating what's already been said.  There are all too many dogs on various shelter kill lists, if you *really* want that mix, go to the shelters so that you can choose a dog who the shelter people can tell you will meet your wants, they've worked with the dogs and have some idea of their personality.  You'll also have the benefit on knowing that you saved a dog!
-alternatively-
Decide what it is you like about each breed and then select one breed because that breed meets most of your desires.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
khaliwell
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a husky mix puppy   husky - Looking for a husky mix puppy EmptyFri Mar 08, 2019 8:58 pm

Thanks for the input everyone! I really appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a husky mix puppy   husky - Looking for a husky mix puppy EmptySun Mar 10, 2019 2:21 am

Don't know if this will work out or not, but popped up on my FB feed:

This blue eyed boy is taking applications, and so our his siblings!

Kade and his siblings are making their way to the adoption circuit, but these pups are not for the faint of heart so they will require an owner with breed experience. Kade is a husky/shepherd mix and we estimate a full grown size of at least 70lbs. These pups will need structure, stimulation and a strong pack leader from the get go. They are extremely intelligent and have a strong drive to work, so they will need guidance in order to channel these abilities into something positive. Although the pups are accepting applications at this time they will not be ready to join their forever families for about 3 weeks. If you think you are ready to add one of these pups to your family please email jonesm4318@gmail.com today.

*Pics of additional pups will be sent upon email request*
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a husky mix puppy   husky - Looking for a husky mix puppy Empty

Back to top Go down

Looking for a husky mix puppy

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1